damnyankee

USPSA Status Questions

I haven't shot USPSA for a couple of years due to medical issues which restricted my activity. I'm now about to get back into the sport. I'll be spending the summer in NJ and was wondering if there is any thought of match activity taking place now that ranges are classed as essential?

Also, am I correct that I can only have 10 rd mags, even for Open and Carry Optic? Since my Open mags are 28+1 and the guns won't take a factory 10 rd mag, I could shoot Carry Optic with factory 10's instead of my 23+1's. I could also shoot Single Stack with an 8+1 1911. Also my open guns (9mm Major) have threaded barrels and comps. 

Am I correct that I can use JHP ammunition, 9mm Minor for Carry Optic.

A side question - can my wife bring her .22 pistol with 12 round mags?

I have a feeling that we'll be shooting Airsoft in the backyard this summer. :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, damnyankee said:

I haven't shot USPSA for a couple of years due to medical issues which restricted my activity. I'm now about to get back into the sport. I'll be spending the summer in NJ and was wondering if there is any thought of match activity taking place now that ranges are classed as essential?

Also, am I correct that I can only have 10 rd mags, even for Open and Carry Optic? Since my Open mags are 28+1 and the guns won't take a factory 10 rd mag, I could shoot Carry Optic with factory 10's instead of my 23+1's. I could also shoot Single Stack with an 8+1 1911. Also my open guns (9mm Major) have threaded barrels and comps. 

I have a feeling that we'll be shooting Airsoft in the backyard this summer. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where you heard ranges are classed as essential - all ranges in NJ are currently closed as per the Governor's EO.

Yes, the State limit on mags is 10 rounds. Mere possession of a 28 round mag is a felony in NJ if it fits a semi-auto firearm. Do not even bring them here.

JHP is OK to possess in your home and at the range and on a trip directly between those locations. Do not leave it in you car for any other trips.

If it is a semi-auto pistol your wife cannot possess 12 round mags - its a felony here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick answers. I feel for all of you who have to put us with the useless restrictions of NJ gun law.

When I read that Gun Shops were considered essential and were being allowed to open in accordance with federal guidelines I mistakenly assumed that all of the guidelines wee being followed. Obviously not the case.

I do see that there's a new lawsuit and request for an injunction to allow outdoor ranges to open. 

We'll take the easy way out and leave the guns in in LA. We'll just shoot Airsofts in the backyard. I'll probably have to educate our PD before shooting the first time about Airsofts being classed as toys, not firearms by the State. We'll save a lot of $ as well, airsoft BB's are inexpensive and less than $50 to build a suitable target frame to include capturing fired BB's. 

Listen to Mr.Stu here, he knows his stuff.

You understandably so, confused NJ and America, sadly there is a difference. The *&_$# currently occupying the Governor's office has gone on record more than once expressing his hatred of firearms (and private citizens who own them) as well as  his ignorance of and disregard for The Bill of Rights. 

You can read all about in ad nauseum in other threads here.

7 hours ago, damnyankee said:

Thanks for the quick answers. I feel for all of you who have to put us with the useless restrictions of NJ gun law.

When I read that Gun Shops were considered essential and were being allowed to open in accordance with federal guidelines I mistakenly assumed that all of the guidelines wee being followed. Obviously not the case.

I do see that there's a new lawsuit and request for an injunction to allow outdoor ranges to open. 

We'll take the easy way out and leave the guns in in LA. We'll just shoot Airsofts in the backyard. I'll probably have to educate our PD before shooting the first time about Airsofts being classed as toys, not firearms by the State. We'll save a lot of $ as well, airsoft BB's are inexpensive and less than $50 to build a suitable target frame to include capturing fired BB's. 

in *Bergen County* ??? - some liberal pinko commie neighbor is going to drop the dime big time on you - even if you talk to the PD, and they are receptive, don't count on it - watch for no discharge laws in your town on your own property.

Additionally, the 'neighbors' are not going to take lightly to you even messing with toys like that in the yard.  

This ain't nuthin like being back in the bayou....  

• Agree 1

I appreciate all of your advice and guidance. I know how bad NJ is and how good we have it in LA. That's why I posed my questions here on the forum. 

Fortunately, my backyard is completely private visually so no one can see what we're doing. Our newest neighbors moved in over 20 years ago and we all get along. I will speak with each of them but the Airsofts are very quiet. 

I have a good relationship with our PD having been an EMT in town for many years. 

Re: Dischage Laws. The Borough has them but they are at odds with State Law. The Borough's definition of a Firearm is more restrictive than the State's and the State explicitly excludes Airsoft as toys since they don't fire solid projectiles.

From https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml  

Are airsofts firearms?

No.  They are considered to be toys in New Jersey.  The plastic pellet ammunition utilized for an airsoft contain a hollow cavity which do not conform to a solid projectile.

Also, a Firearms Purchaser  ID Card is not required to purchase an Airsoft gun or ammunition in the state. 

My attorney's going to have fun with this. I'll start nicely with the Borough Attorney and then escalate quickly if necessary.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, damnyankee said:

2011 open gun I assume? MBX has 10rd 2011 mags that are 140 in length work well. other option is to buy 2011 sti gen 2 mags and get the atlas kit to block the mags BEFORE you come into NJ.

I'm also in Bergen County and can tell you there are many like minded individuals here.

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_10Round_141mm

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/atlas-gunworks-mag-capacity-limiter/

• Like 2

Thanks for the info but all of my Open and Carry Optic guns are M&P 9L's and 9"s. I've been shooting 9mm Major with them since 2009. I was one of the very early pioneers of slide mounted optics on plastic guns. My mags are factory with Taylor Freelance extensions to 170 for Open and 140  for CO. The followers have been filed to allow for the 23rd and 28th rounds. All of them have APEX internals and other permitted mods. They've been fired by many Professionals whose names I can't mention and who've been impressed by the gun's handling and peformance. They handle major loads with no problem or discomfort. I did it because I wanted to try Open since my vision was starting to suffer from age.and didn't want to spend the $ for an STI. They work for me and they're fun to shoot. I also have an M&P 9C which is my EDC that I've shot Open Major with as well.

I'd probably get screwed up by shooting Open with 10 round mags. I'd go bonkers figuring out mag changes and how to shoot the course. It's be different if I shot Production or Limited 10, but I don't.

My only 1911 is a SIG Tac-OPS .45 that's set up for Single Stack.

Your profile says you're a reloader. If you ever want to try 9 Major, I'll be happy to give you load info and 10 rounds to try. My loads are Montana Gold 125's and AutoComp. Nice to shoot but very loud.

Back OT. 

I'm going to really try to work out an informal arrangement with the town. While I wan't to keep in practice, I'm not looking to shoot thousands of rounds twice a week. I want to work on my Carry Optic draw and time to 1st shot and my wife wants to work on her self defense acquisition and time to 1st shot. 

I'd rather not get into a public thing where people who aren't necessarily responsible discover that they can buy Airsofts and ammunition on Amazon without a Firearms ID. Way too many potential problems, especially for LE. The Airsofts available today are licensed copies  and are great for the types of practice we want to use them for. 

34 minutes ago, damnyankee said:

Thanks for the info but all of my Open and Carry Optic guns are M&P 9L's and 9"s. I've been shooting 9mm Major with them since 2009. I was one of the very early pioneers of slide mounted optics on plastic guns. My mags are factory with Taylor Freelance extensions to 170 for Open and 140  for CO. The followers have been filed to allow for the 23rd and 28th rounds. All of them have APEX internals and other permitted mods. They've been fired by many Professionals whose names I can't mention and who've been impressed by the gun's handling and peformance. They handle major loads with no problem or discomfort. I did it because I wanted to try Open since my vision was starting to suffer from age.and didn't want to spend the $ for an STI. They work for me and they're fun to shoot. I also have an M&P 9C which is my EDC that I've shot Open Major with as well.

I'd probably get screwed up by shooting Open with 10 round mags. I'd go bonkers figuring out mag changes and how to shoot the course. It's be different if I shot Production or Limited 10, but I don't.

My only 1911 is a SIG Tac-OPS .45 that's set up for Single Stack.

Your profile says you're a reloader. If you ever want to try 9 Major, I'll be happy to give you load info and 10 rounds to try. My loads are Montana Gold 125's and AutoComp. Nice to shoot but very loud.

I been loading since 2003, Had a 650that I shared with my friend before my permit came in. I’ve had a open gun since 2009 and my load of choice is HS-6 making 173-175pf out of my 2011. The m&p 10rd mags don’t work? And unfortunately everyone in NJ and NY matches shoot 10rds regardless of division. Such is life here unless you go to PA or elsewhere.

The M&P 10 rounders come in 2 varieties, one as a substitute for the 12 round mag for the 9C and one as a substitute for the 17 round mag for the full size.  They're the same upper portion which is sized for a 10 round and they have different base plates The 17 round substitute would work for CO but it wouldn't fit with a flared mag base on the gun which you'd use for Open. There's also an issue with the 10 round mags that they only hold 9 rounds. If you force a 10th round in the mag won't seat properly unless the slide is locked back. The solution is to modify the base of the follower which prevents full depression

I probably won't be able to shoot any USPSA but I'l bring my CO gun and my 9C as a backup. I have minor loads that run 130 - 132, Also AutoComp with MG 147's. My majors run 172 - 174.

Here's what the factory 10 large mag looks like. The base is not interchangeable with the regular mags.

1936329103_MPMag.thumb.JPG.c5675061e115040f65862581a253d191.JPG

My 15-rounders (.40 cal) have an internal block to limit to 10.  It’s just a post that stops the follower and attaches to the inner lock plate. that would work with any baseplate out there, as long as the baseplate is not removable or some other method that the block is not removable 

of course that would have to be done out of state or have an FFL do it

I have a M&P 9L with 10 round factory mags.  I generally shoot production though (when I actually had time to compete).  I've had no issues with fitting 10 rounds in the mags and them seating on a closed chamber.  The newer mags have a better mag follower that allows them to feed properly.  I modified the follower on a couple of my older mags with the gray follower - cut down a couple of the ears on it and that helped with fitting rounds in and fitting into the gun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I have a M&P 9L with 10 round factory mags.  I generally shoot production though (when I actually had time to compete).  I've had no issues with fitting 10 rounds in the mags and them seating on a closed chamber.  The newer mags have a better mag follower that allows them to feed properly.  I modified the follower on a couple of my older mags with the gray follower - cut down a couple of the ears on it and that helped with fitting rounds in and fitting into the gun.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that they had mags with a newer follower. All I have are older mags and I've trimmed all of them.