photon guy

NJ Violates The Constitution

The 2nd Amendment clearly states "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." In NJ you can't walk down the street or go out in other public places while carrying a Smith & Wesson or Glock on your hip, that is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd Amendment not only talks about the right to keep arms it also talks about the right to bear arms. The fact that you can't carry guns in public places in NJ is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.

19 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

NJ isn’t violating the Constitution. It just believes that document identifies as a placemat. 

13 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

NJ isn’t violating the Constitution. It just believes that document identifies as a placeDOORmat toilet paper

FIFY

FIFY

What I've always wondered is why the SCOTUS hasn't done something about NJ's Constitution. I've read the whole thing, and nowhere does it mention the right of New Jerseyans to keep and bear arms. So we have been without our full rights from the getgo. 

1 hour ago, drjjpdc said:

What I've always wondered is why the SCOTUS hasn't done something about NJ's Constitution. I've read the whole thing, and nowhere does it mention the right of New Jerseyans to keep and bear arms. So we have been without our full rights from the getgo. 

Because SCOTUS is not proactive - someone needs to bring a case that has failed in the lower courts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drjjpdc said:

My thoughts exactly.

28 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Because SCOTUS is not proactive - someone needs to bring a case that has failed in the lower courts.

We should at least be able to get it to a federal circuit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

That and because SCOTUS judges are a bunch of useless POS's that violate their oaths of office regularly.  There have been plenty of cases presented, that they passed on, poo pooed, or let the government off the hook by bullshit "mooting".

2 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

Maybe because what a State puts in its constitution is none of the Federal government's business so long as it does not contradict Federal law. The 2nd Amendment is applicable to all the States through the 14th Amendment so no mention of anything similar in the State constitution is irrelevant.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, photon guy said:

We should at least be able to get it to a federal circuit.

We did previously - the Drake case. 

Drake V. Filko made it to the 3rd circuit in 2013, who upheld NJ's "justifiable need" standard:

https://lawprofessors.typepad.com/conlaw/2013/08/divided-third-circuit-upholds-new-jerseys-handgun-permit-law.html

Appealed to Supreme court (as Drake v. Jerejian) who declined to grant certiori in 2014:

https://reason.com/2014/05/05/supreme-court-refuses-to-hear-major-seco/

4 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

We did previously - the Drake case. 

Drake V. Filko made it to the 3rd circuit in 2013, who upheld NJ's "justifiable need" standard:

https://lawprofessors.typepad.com/conlaw/2013/08/divided-third-circuit-upholds-new-jerseys-handgun-permit-law.html

Appealed to Supreme court (as Drake v. Jerejian) who declined to grant certiori in 2014:

https://reason.com/2014/05/05/supreme-court-refuses-to-hear-major-seco/

Dirty,  Thanks for the best answer for logical discussion.  However one advantage we now have is the 3rd Circuit is no longer a Liberal dominated Court, thanks to Trump it is a Conservative dominated Court now. That also means that if a case gets sent back to them they could vote in a Conservative way.

Mr. Stu, your point is only valid since McDonald, what about before?  You mean from the 1940's nobody complained about not having the right to keep and bear arms.

PeteF, Were they useless when they passed Heller & McDonald?

Actually the Court can have original jurisdiction in a number of cases. I believe the point I made is covered by the underlined section, if a number of NJ Citizens complained about our Constitution leaving out their 2nd Amendment rights.

Section 2

1: The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;—to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;—to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;—to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;—to Controversies between two or more States;—between a State and Citizens of another State;10 —between Citizens of different States, —between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

12 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

PeteF, Were they useless when they passed Heller & McDonald?

Imo,  yes.  What has changed after the decision?  Anything?  13 years later.

They should have had the balls to come out with a decision that says, yes the second means exactly what says. PERIOD.  Want to strip someones rights, guess what there is a procedure spelled out, it's called Due Process and its exercised on a individual basis.  Found quilty of a crime where the penalty is loss of a right, is a giant step from your right is denied because (insert favorite reason).

But since the decision includes "exception" language, it will take another case to challenge every possible variant on "exception". And since they have been ditching cases for 13 years...........

On 5/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, PeteF said:

Imo,  yes.  What has changed after the decision?  Anything?  13 years later.

They should have had the balls to come out with a decision that says, yes the second means exactly what says. PERIOD.  Want to strip someones rights, guess what there is a procedure spelled out, it's called Due Process and its exercised on a individual basis.  Found quilty of a crime where the penalty is loss of a right, is a giant step from your right is denied because (insert favorite reason).

But since the decision includes "exception" language, it will take another case to challenge every possible variant on "exception". And since they have been ditching cases for 13 years...........

Well this happened after Heller. I think this meant something, even if it wasn't as strong as we wanted. We have to consider what happens to other states and not just us.

The US Supreme Court of the United States decided District of Columbia v. Heller, establishing for the first time that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution guaranteed an individual right to keep and bear arms in defense of oneself. From that point on, more states adopted Constitutional carry policies, and the last "no-issue" holdouts gave way.

In 2010, Arizona became the third state (after Alaska and Vermont) to permit constitutional carry.

In 2011, Wyoming became the fourth Constitutional carry state. Also in 2011, Wisconsin was the 49th state to legally abandon a "no-issue" policy, adopting instead a "shall-issue" policy. (Other states remained "no-issue" in practice, but not in law.) That same year, Iowa changed its "may-issue" policy to become "shall issue."

In 2013, Arkansas became an ambiguously Constitutional-carry state, a position that was further solidified with a precedent set in 2018 in Taff v State of Arkansas. Briefly, this case considered a person suspected of stealing from a convenience store who, upon interview, was found to be carrying a concealed firearm and charged with carrying unlawfully. The charge was dismissed, as the defendant had not used the firearm unlawfully, nor had demonstrated intent to do so. The court held that simply carrying a concealed firearm by a person not otherwise prohibited is not a criminal act.

2013 also marked the last of the 50 states to abandon a "no-issue" policy when Illinois began a "shall-issue" policy.

In 2015, two states, Maine and Kansas, adopted forms of Constitutional carry.

In 2016, four states adopted some form of Constitutional carry: Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, and West Virginia.

In 2017, two more states adopted Constitutional carry, North Dakota and New Hampshire.

On January 31, 2019, newly elected South Dakota governor Kristi Noem signed a bill into law that makes South Dakota a constitutional carry state. The first law signed by her administration, the law goes into effect on July 1, 2019.

6 hours ago, marlintag said:

The supreme court bounced these cases yet again.....5/28/20 will be the next conference. Maybe on the 5th try they will get it right:angry:

That is my sincere hope. I hope that they pick Rogers v Gurwal. That involves a Governor and an AG. But Cheeseman v Polillo only involves a Police Chief and a Judge. It might be easier.

51 minutes ago, drjjpdc said:

Well this happened after Heller. I think this meant something, even if it wasn't as strong as we wanted. We have to consider what happens to other states and not just us.

Well what about us?  The supreme court decision that says the second is a personal right, changed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in NJ.  

Is there any chance for a civilian to get a carry permit?

How about not having to ask permission of the government to purchase a firearm?

How about not possibly getting a prison sentence for stopping to get a soda on the way to the range?

So what did we get?  Even more limited magazines.

This is my point exactly, a case will be need to be brought in front of the USSC (because we all know that NJ SC is a bunch of hacks) for EACH and EVERY aspect, taking years and years and hundreds of thousands of dollars for each case,  to get any relief from NJs unconstitutional laws.  And since the USSC instead of making a firm decision, wiffed with a milquetoast decision ("that certain firearms restrictions mentioned in District of Columbia v. Heller are assumed permissible and not directly dealt with in this case" so its a personal right but can be restricted on a whim. Somehow "Not infringed" == Restricted ) and keeps passing on each case brought before it.