DirtyDigz

America’s oldest gun store closes

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2020/05/john-jovino-gun-shop.html

John Jovino, the oldest gun shop in the United States, has closed for good after 109 years in business in Little Italy.

Founded in 1911 by John Jovino, and originally located in the gun center around the corner on Centre Market Place, the store was purchased by the Imperato family in the 1920s and has been run by Charlie Hu since 1995. It's been featured in many films, including Mean Streets and Serpico, and its famous wooden revolver sign has been a landmark in the neighborhood for over a century.

Much more in the article.  The company that owned this store in the 20’s was also the founding owner of Henry Repeating Arms.

JohnJovinoCharlieHu_JVNY_5-18-20_r_w_050

• Like 2

Drove past this place many many times over the past 10 years, always wondered how it stayed open.

Practically all his business was to LEO's, then again how else could he have stayed in business in NYC.

But I found it troubling that he would rarely deal with people who didn't have a 'badge'.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, Cemeterys Gun Blob said:

Drove past this place many many times over the past 10 years, always wondered how it stayed open.

Practically all his business was to LEO's, then again how else could he have stayed in business in NYC.

But I found it troubling that he would rarely deal with people who didn't have a 'badge'.

In NYC I am sure there was little ask from non-cops given the difficulty in getting permits for handguns.  Moreover, there’s no ranges and I believe a lot of NyC residents would keep there firearms at locations (weekend homes) outside the city.  I still love most days on the UWS (well not the last two months) but have my guns in FL and Jersey.  I’ve given up on getting a permit to have one I already own in NYC.