jasonx

step after background check for first-time applicant?

Helping out a first-time applicant get initial FID + handgun permit. He did the following:

1. Applied online.

2. Had both references submit questionnaire.

3. Gave fingerprints at Identogo.

4. Received email: Status Update: Criminal History Check completed.

What is he supposed to do next? Wait for call from local PD? What is the usual wait between step #4 and the call from the local PD? 30 days?

45 minutes ago, jasonx said:

Helping out a first-time applicant get initial FID + handgun permit. He did the following:

1. Applied online.

2. Had both references submit questionnaire.

3. Gave fingerprints at Identogo.

4. Received email: Status Update: Criminal History Check completed.

What is he supposed to do next? Wait for call from local PD? What is the usual wait between step #4 and the call from the local PD? 30 days?

At this point in time all he can do is wait.   As to how long from the criminal history check until available is dependent on the jurisdiction.  It is supposed to be no more than 30 days however, in these plague times, assume it is "whenever they decide to get around to it"

There is one more e-mail from the NJSP telling you the process is complete and to wait for your local PD to contact you to pick-up your permits.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:52 PM, Pizza Bob said:

There is one more e-mail from the NJSP telling you the process is complete and to wait for your local PD to contact you to pick-up your permits.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I keep hearing about some kind of mental health release paperwork that needs to be signed separately, perhaps at the station? Anyone know about that?

8 hours ago, jasonx said:

I keep hearing about some kind of mental health release paperwork that needs to be signed separately, perhaps at the station? Anyone know about that?

Correct. Form SP-066. Fill it out but don't sign it. You'll sign it at the police station when you turn in all the paperwork. That's how it's done at my local police station.

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-066.pdf

15 minutes ago, Zabuca said:

Im in Hudson county. Takes 2-3 months to get my permits. 

Damn 

10 hours ago, jasonx said:

I'm not sure that is a requirement anymore. The idea behind FARS was to move the process completely on-line, with the exception of the actual distribution of the permits. I can't use my own experience as a yardstick because I've lived at my current address almost 20 years. The SP-066 asks for former addresses if you have lived at your current one less than ten years. That is because there is/was no central database that could be searched and a manual search had to be made in every county of residence. Not sure if that is still the case.

I will say that I was at my local PD picking up some permits when an applicant came in with a completed SP-066 to turn in and the detective that was dealing with me simply told him it was no longer necessary and apologized because they hadn't changed their website yet. He never prefaced his comment with, "How long at your current address?" just dismissed him out of hand.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

55 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

I'm not sure that is a requirement anymore. The idea behind FARS was to move the process completely on-line, with the exception of the actual distribution of the permits. I can't use my own experience as a yardstick because I've lived at my current address almost 20 years. The SP-066 asks for former addresses if you have lived at your current one less than ten years. That is because there is/was no central database that could be searched and a manual search had to be made in every county of residence. Not sure if that is still the case.

I will say that I was at my local PD picking up some permits when an applicant came in with a completed SP-066 to turn in and the detective that was dealing with me simply told him it was no longer necessary and apologized because they hadn't changed their website yet. He never prefaced his comment with, "How long at your current address?" just dismissed him out of hand.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I guess I'll just follow the PD website's instructions, which at this step says to just wait for a phone call. No mention of that SP-066 at all.

5 hours ago, jasonx said:

I guess I'll just follow the PD website's instructions, which at this step says to just wait for a phone call. No mention of that SP-066 at all.

Sounds like a (correct) plan.

If you have resided in NJ, even at multiple addresses, for over 10 years the mental health check form is no longer needed. They have the information already. If less than 10 years they will require it. 

14 hours ago, InFamous said:

If you have resided in NJ, even at multiple addresses, for over 10 years the mental health check form is no longer needed. They have the information already. If less than 10 years they will require it. 

Not that I doubt you, but where did this info come from? If from your local PD I would label it suspect. If from the NJSP, I'd like to see the cite for that. Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

20 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Not that I doubt you, but where did this info come from? If from your local PD I would label it suspect. If from the NJSP, I'd like to see the cite for that. Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's possibly on the FARS application. I'll have to check where I saw it when I get home from work later.