Spartacus99

Shooting an AR15 Other

45 minutes ago, Spartacus99 said:

I've been out of the loop for awhile but want to get back in with an AR pistol. What is the current sentiment at ranges concerning shooting it? Can I shoot it at ranges in North Jersey? Specifically Cherry Ridge?

You can shoot any NJ legal gun at Cherry Ridge.

At the pistol range they'll probably limit you to pistol calibers, so if your NJ legal "pistol" shoots .223/5.56, 7/62x39, etc, etc they'll probably make you move to the 50/100 yard range.

Otherwise you should be good to go.

• Like 1

At SJSC, I can only use mine on the 50yd and longer ranges. The 25yd range is limited to Pistol Ammo, which .223 Rem is not!

I have a Bushmaster Carbon 15 and its predecessor, the Professional Ordinance Carbon 15, both jersey-legal.

I use a single point sling loop attached at the back of the upper to push against, while gripping the mag well to pull toward. Makes for a nice steady configuration.

33 minutes ago, Spartacus99 said:

Thanks for the replies. Any comments from people with AR pistols?

Not sure what you're looking for here, as mentioned cherry ridge will allow you to shoot any NJ legal firearm on their lines. You could call or email them to see if they would prefer you on the pistol range or rifle. My guess is if you went to either one they wouldn't care, if they did.. they would just ask you to move over.. no big deal.

2 hours ago, Spartacus99 said:

Just want to ensure that I will be able to shoot at North Jersey ranges without a hassle.

As long as the gun you have is NJ-legal I don't think any range (indoor or outdoor) in North Jersey would have a problem with it.

Again, they may limit you to the rifle range(s), but just call and ask.

33 minutes ago, Spartacus99 said:

I'm going to build it NJ legal. Thanks for all the guidance

Building a NJ-legal AR pistol is extremely challenging, given the AWB laws we live under.

The 50 oz (Evil Feature #4, below)) weight limit is probably the hardest restriction of the 5 to overcome.

Evil Feature #1 (see below) is the ONE evil feature most, if not all, AR pistols in NJ utilize

From the NJ State Police FAQ on "Assault Weapons"        https://njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

What type of firearms are considered assault weapons in New Jersey?
A complete list of banned firearms can be found in N.J.S. 2C:39-1.w as well as N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2. If a firearm is not specifically listed by name then it may be considered to be substantially identical if it has the following qualities;

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following: 
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

Read the last paragraph of the NJSP Firearms Unit letter.

https://techopsinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Redacted-State-Police-Letter.pdf

This Troy OTHER is only being allowed by the good graces of the Executive Branch of the State of NJ, not by any act or statute promulgated by the Legislative Branch, the ones who MAKE THE LAW.

Approval of the Troy model, or especially a homemade replica that was not submitted to them, is only someone's new official opinion from disappearing right before your very eyes.

I think the phenomenon is called "Liquifaction of One's Rights under Color of Authority"

16 minutes ago, Spartacus99 said:

Yes, officially an "Other". So I'm hearing the consensus is that it's a no go. Guess now that my intentions are clear I won't be welcomed at the ranges??

Updated the topic title for clarification.

You will be fine.

25 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Updated the topic title for clarification.

You will be fine.

For now. The general concern for other type firearms is that the rules on them will be changed in NJ. It is very likely that such a thing could occur without involving the senate or assembly and even if it needed to that’s not really an obstacle. 

9 hours ago, Spartacus99 said:

Just want to ensure that I will be able to shoot at North Jersey ranges without a hassle.

As long as it's legal I don't see why you would. If you have any questions or you're not sure, ask. This isn't a project to wing it on. Good luck!

11 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

As long as it's legal I don't see why you would. If you have any questions or you're not sure, ask. This isn't a project to wing it on. Good luck!

Thanks! will do

15 hours ago, raz-0 said:

For now. The general concern for other type firearms is that the rules on them will be changed in NJ. It is very likely that such a thing could occur without involving the senate or assembly and even if it needed to that’s not really an obstacle. 

If things were to change, could I swap with a 16"  compliant upper and go about my business?

10 minutes ago, Spartacus99 said:

If things were to change, could I swap with a 16"  compliant upper and go about my business?

No, you can't. With a brace instead of a stock you would be making it into a pistol. If you put on an upper without a vertical forward grip it stops being a Non-NFA. Without a stock it is not a rifle. You would have a pistol that weighs waaaay more than 50oz and that is banned in NJ.

In my opinion you'd be fine then, but I am not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I would ask you this, if you're worried about the future legality of a Non-NFA and are OK with turning it into a rifle, why not just build a rifle to start with?

1 hour ago, Spartacus99 said:

It would be less of a worry if I knew it can be converted.

The nj aw law has constructive possession in it. The state won’t know you built an other, so if the law changes and your receiver is now a rifle and you have no parts to make something illegal, I’m not sure how they would be able to tell the situation was ever otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

The difference between a 12.5" barrel and a 14.5" barrel isn't much.  If you're worried about length, get an upper with a 14.5" Barrel and pinned brake that makes it 16".

Was thinking of going with this which is 10.5". Was considering getting a 14.5" barrel but can't seem to find one at PSA

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5-56-nato-1-7-mid-length-nitride-15-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-flat-dark-earth.html

21 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

The shorter your AR Barrel is, the blastier it will be.  Think about what you want to do with it.  If you wanted to go with the 10.5" barrel route, you would need an extra-long buffer extension.  

You have to be careful with an extra long receiver extension - with the brace fully extended the LoP cannot be more than 13.5" or the ATF deems it to be a stock, not a brace. With something like an SBA3 you can only go about 3/4" over a standard carbine receiver extension and still be able to use all the brace adjustment positions.