Spartacus99

Shooting an AR15 Other

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this topic.

I fully support your effort to build what I would call a NJ legal "FU NJ Gun Law" pistol / other, or whatever thingamajig lead thrower it falls into under the law.

I went through this recently as well as I had a stripped lower sitting around collecting dust.

After much agonizing research and going back and forth on trying to somehow cleverly get under 50 ounces for a pistol (which was more of a philosophical exercise to be honest since I didn't purchase the lower originally as a pistol). I then contemplated the "other" configuration, which just seemed wrought with potential pitfalls. That's not to say it can't be done, but just seemed too troublesome. After that I moved onto a 14.5" barreled rifle with a pin and welded NJ legal muzzle device to reach 16 inches. I finally decided to just go with a simple rifle build with a 16 inch barrel.

Once I took a step back and really considered everything it came down to this. What was I getting out of a pistol or other build, and what did I get out of having the shortest rifle barrel I possibly could? If I was in a non-AWB-ban state, it might make more since because I could SBR it later. I might be able to get a fairly compact maneuverable yet "blasty" AR of some sort. At the end of the day though I'm pretty happy with the config I ended up landing on and it's completely NJ legal not to mention NFA compliant, and pretty damn practical. 16 inches isn't that long and makes for a very handy rifle size. I kept mine a little shorter by getting a 16 inch target crown barrel. I plan to enjoy shooting it more than I probably would have a pistol or other (Not that those aren't fun!).

I'm still finding the time to finish assembling but I'll try to remember to post pics once I do. Now that ranges are starting to open up I need to so I can get out and shoot it!

Sorry, that was sort of off topic to your original question, but it seemed the thread had sort of veered off in this direction.

All good info on this thread.  Definitely pay attention to all the particulars when assembling your "other".  The 10.5" barrel makes it tricky to get the extended buffer tube and hit 26" while not exceed length of pull.

11.5" or 12" barrel would give you some leeway in selecting components.

7 minutes ago, USMC1341 said:

I finally decided to just go with a simple rifle build with a 16 inch barrel...

Once I took a step back and really considered everything it came down to this. What was I getting out of a pistol or other build, and what did I get out of having the shortest rifle barrel I possibly could? 

The biggest attraction to the "other" build for me is not having to pin stocks and muzzle brakes.  I can adjust my stock to my different preference for shooting prone, or bench or standing, etc.  The non-pinned muzzle device is a big plus if I want to change hand guards, gas block or barrel in the future.

Minor benefits to some but certainly appealing enough to me.

1 minute ago, Shepherd9 said:

The biggest attraction to the "other" build for me is not having to pin stocks and muzzle brakes.

I agree, those are both very attractive reasons to do an "other". Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can attach a flash hider on an other as well? That made me crazy too... is it a flash hider or a muzzle break? Who the eff cares!!! Oh yeah the NJ government.

The Troy A4 is pretty darn cool. At least we don't have to deal with this in NJ:

ca.legal.grip.png

Other: All receivers only, are transferred as an other; if you build it into a pistol (good luck with that in NJ) it can be converted into a rifle; if you build it as a rifle, you can't convert it into a pistol; if you build it as an other, with a brace and you want to convert it to a pistol (good luck with that in NJ given our restrictions) if you want to convert an other into a rifle, you can't if it has a brace and not a stock, which means you have to buy and install a stock, but this would be a no no  if your are under 16" on the barrel or under 16" with a barrel less than 16" but if you add in the length of a welded compensator or brake to get to 16" you barrel as augmented would be long enough; but if you put a FH on the other that has to come off and you need 16 inches total with or without brake, so if you are under 16" you need to weld a brake or compensator to get to 16". However, there is a dispute regarding converting an other made into an other into a rifle, some say it is ok others not. Given that the other receiver could be made into a rifle to begin with-that seems to be the strongest point. But who knows? The other question is: can an other built into an other be made into a SBR if you are under 16" on the barrel, leave the barrel the way it is remove the brace and put on a stock?  I don't think this comes up to often.

21 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

The shorter your AR Barrel is, the blastier it will be.  Think about what you want to do with it.  If you wanted to go with the 10.5" barrel route, you would need an extra-long buffer extension.  

You'd also need to pin and weld a barrel device with a 10.5" barrel. I went with an A5 receiver extension with an 11.5" barrel to get over 26". 

CEFAEB39-8C57-4FAD-AEF3-8E7B9FF86A3E.png.90c156156fa013d8fc219644f1b3d8c6 (1).png

On 5/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, Mr.Stu said:

You have to be careful with an extra long receiver extension - with the brace fully extended the LoP cannot be more than 13.5" or the ATF deems it to be a stock, not a brace. With something like an SBA3 you can only go about 3/4" over a standard carbine receiver extension and still be able to use all the brace adjustment positions.

There is nothing official from the ATF that states a brace must meet a 13.5" lop, so you don't have to follow that. 

The brace is considered a removable accessory and has no bearing on the classification of the firearm.  Since its a brace, there is no LOP. Of all the ATF letters, not a single one measured lop.

• Agree 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, USMC1341 said:

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this topic.

I fully support your effort to build what I would call a NJ legal "FU NJ Gun Law" pistol / other, or whatever thingamajig lead thrower it falls into under the law.

I went through this recently as well as I had a stripped lower sitting around collecting dust.

After much agonizing research and going back and forth on trying to somehow cleverly get under 50 ounces for a pistol (which was more of a philosophical exercise to be honest since I didn't purchase the lower originally as a pistol). I then contemplated the "other" configuration, which just seemed wrought with potential pitfalls. That's not to say it can't be done, but just seemed too troublesome. After that I moved onto a 14.5" barreled rifle with a pin and welded NJ legal muzzle device to reach 16 inches. I finally decided to just go with a simple rifle build with a 16 inch barrel.

Once I took a step back and really considered everything it came down to this. What was I getting out of a pistol or other build, and what did I get out of having the shortest rifle barrel I possibly could? If I was in a non-AWB-ban state, it might make more since because I could SBR it later. I might be able to get a fairly compact maneuverable yet "blasty" AR of some sort. At the end of the day though I'm pretty happy with the config I ended up landing on and it's completely NJ legal not to mention NFA compliant, and pretty damn practical. 16 inches isn't that long and makes for a very handy rifle size. I kept mine a little shorter by getting a 16 inch target crown barrel. I plan to enjoy shooting it more than I probably would have a pistol or other (Not that those aren't fun!).

I'm still finding the time to finish assembling but I'll try to remember to post pics once I do. Now that ranges are starting to open up I need to so I can get out and shoot it!

Sorry, that was sort of off topic to your original question, but it seemed the thread had sort of veered off in this direction.

should have built a 14.5 inch other 

Worse case you pin a muzzle break and stock if things change.. but for now enjoy the fact it's an other.. 

10 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

should have built a 14.5 inch other 

Worse case you pin a muzzle break and stock if things change.. but for now enjoy the fact it's an other.. 

That sounds like a good reason to start another build. Twist my arm why don't you!