Northeast410

NY state resident storing NJ legal long guns at family second home in NJ

I have no FID as it is not required for NYS shotgun and rifle purchases. Is it legal for a NY state resident to store long guns acquired through a NY state FFL, in a secondary home in NJ? Does the NJ exemption for transport between dwelling or residence cover between primary residence and secondary homes?

Thank you much for the wisdom. I’m a bit new to it all. Figuring  out if I could do this would help me maintain rifles and make it out to the range more often.

8 minutes ago, Northeast410 said:

I have no FID as it is not required for NYS firearm purchases. Is it legal for a NY state resident to store long guns acquired through a NY state FFL, in a secondary home in NJ? Does the NJ exemption for transport between dwelling or residence cover between primary residence and secondary homes?

Thank you much for the wisdom. I’m a bit new to it all. Figuring  out if I could do this would help me maintain rifles and make it out to the range more often.

If it is your home.  Yes.    You may transport between homes.   You may even travel to a range to shoot.  NJ does not require that you have a FPID to own guns in NJ.   As long as the guns are NJ legal, you may have them in NJ if they were legally purchased.

Also to add, a FPID confers no legality to handguns in any fashion.  It does confer long gun carry in places where it is legal to have a long gun.   What it does show to a LEO is that you have a SBI(State Bureau of Investigation) number and have at least passed a background check at some point.   I can't tell you what a LEO may or may not do, but I suspect if you have a Firearms Purchaser ID and an officer has discretion, he may be more inclined to let you proceed on your way if you have one.   Obviously if you are breaking the law, the card does nothing for you. 

If your family member has no access to the said firearms it may be OK but I would contact a lawyer for some advice.

I maintain a residence in both states so my situation is different and far more clear cut than your's.