JWHoyt

Gun cleaning, where do you stand?

Gun cleaning, where do you stand?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious about where you all stand on cleaning your guns.

• Full clean and detail after each shooting
    • Light clean, lube and inspection
    • Run a bore snake through it and it's good to go
    • Modern rounds/guns don't need cleaning, I like them seasoned like my skillet

Light clean (field strip) after each trip to the range.  I don't go too crazy with it, just get most of the crud out and inspect everything for function and integrity.

Everything gets the occasional deep clean after several range trips add up on them.  

Or during pandemics..... deep clean everything twice while waiting for ranges to open.

17 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Depends on the caliber.  I have some .22’s that rapidly crud up and need to be cleaned frequently to function well.  Centerfire stuff gets cleaned much less often.

Same.

My semi-auto rimfires (pistol and rifle) seem to run best when frequently cleaned/oiled, so I do so.

The rest depend on how many rounds go through them.

I think I cleaned my Glock at one point too...

It depends on the gun for me. As others have stated some of my .22 semi autos won't run dirty. My main 2 hunting shotguns just get wiped down with oil when I get home, I don't think of cleaned the barrel of either in a few years. I have several very old guns that are worth a bit or are sentimental and they get a full detail cleaning every time they get shot. For my defensive guns they get lightly cleaned wiped down and lubed after a shooting session but before I leave the range and then run a mag through to confirm everything is is in working order. The guns that don't get shot at all get wiped down and oiled twice a year. 

Precision rimfires get cleaned most "often."

Then rimfire pistols

Then regular rimfire rifles

Then precision centerfires

Then the rest of the centerfires

At best, one or two guns get cleaned every second or third trip out.  The vast majority might get once a year or less frequent cleanings.  The only one I've ever forced myself to be really religous about cleaning is the Mosin, after shooting corrosive ammo through it.  Otherwise, I have no problems letting guns sit for a while between cleanings.

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

Precision rimfires get cleaned most "often."

Then rimfire pistols

Then regular rimfire rifles

Then precision centerfires

Then the rest of the centerfires

At best, one or two guns get cleaned every second or third trip out.  The vast majority might get once a year or less frequent cleanings.  The only one I've ever forced myself to be really religous about cleaning is the Mosin, after shooting corrosive ammo through it.  Otherwise, I have no problems letting guns sit for a while between cleanings.

It’s in my tinder profile... “must be able to clean my guns”

problem solved 

still haven’t found one with an ultrasonic yet though....

I am very bad about cleaning my guns. It is my least favorite activity. I clean my 10/22 only after it starts to jam, since it's my only gun that is finicky.

All my other guns I clean once or twice a year. But when I do clean them I do a detailed strip down and cleaning.

For me, cleaning guns is a chore. Nevertheless I do strive to clean them after every range trip, within a week or so. With that said, despite it being a pita; when I am done,  it’s does feel good  to know my firearm(s) is clean and well maintained.  Any one firearm may be in the safe for quite a while before it gets shot again. So would not want to have it sitting around dirty for an extended period. 

• Agree 1