Thank you.  I am not an instructor or currently even affiliated with any private clubs.  I doubt 14 gives out info to anyone since it is technically on a military base, but I am only guessing.  We are just looking to shoot in a private backyard where the neighbors don't care since some of them do the same.

It reminds me of another friend in the Pocono foorhills who does the same, although he has 12 acres surrounded on 3 sides by a steep ridgeline.  The neighbors there pretty much do anything they please - shoot full-auto machine guns...4th of July fireworks shows that rival Grucci events....you name it, lol.  Here in our central jersey suburbs, the cops creep around in the dark looking for anyone shooting a bottle rocket.

But at any rate, I guess we will stick to what he has instead of riding around with mine in the trunk.  I've only been pulled over once in 30 years, and that was dark tint and a license plate bracket that covered up the state slogan.  But it isn't worth taking the chance really.

10 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Thank you.  I am not an instructor or currently even affiliated with any private clubs.  I doubt 14 gives out info to anyone since it is technically on a military base, but I am only guessing.  We are just looking to shoot in a private backyard where the neighbors don't care since some of them do the same.

It reminds me of another friend in the Pocono foorhills who does the same, although he has 12 acres surrounded on 3 sides by a steep ridgeline.  The neighbors there pretty much do anything they please - shoot full-auto machine guns...4th of July fireworks shows that rival Grucci events....you name it, lol.  Here in our central jersey suburbs, the cops creep around in the dark looking for anyone shooting a bottle rocket.

But at any rate, I guess we will stick to what he has instead of riding around with mine in the trunk.  I've only been pulled over once in 30 years, and that was dark tint and a license plate bracket that covered up the state slogan.  But it isn't worth taking the chance really.

Have FUN & remember that your Yellow Card gets you to your friend's place with any NJ compliant long gun, so all is not lost!

~R

19 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

He did... and everyone provided the correct NJ state statute for legal transport. 

I've watched someone walk out of an FFL with a gun(used) in a brown paper taped closed...

The NJSP are not known for providing accurate legal advice... and i don't believe they are even allowed to do so anyway. But who will stop them?

Since NJ statutes provide the accurate info, i would in the future reference that, not the State police FAQ page.

@JackDaWack I didn't want to let this important morsel of fact fall by the wayside due to our resident instigator.

Many years ago, at the annual Outdoor Show held at Raritan Center every January, the NJSP would have a booth manned by two spit-shined Troopers in full uniform with every crease in the right place.  They were there to hand-out "NJ Firearms Laws brochures", a blue multi-fold, professionally printed piece on "index" heavy-duty paper.  The Troopers were of course bombarded with questions from every angle, and from every level of intellect from all walks of life.  They did the best they could, and carried-out their detail, as ordered.

The blue index folding set of "Laws" looked more like "Stitch Jones's credit cards" that he took into battle in Grenada in the Clint Eastwood movie, "Heartbreak Ridge".  I mean Gunny Highway would be proud as there were MANY folds in this thing, lol!

The NJ firearms laws reminded everyone that everything was ILLEGAL, and started out that way.  And for some reason, in multiple subsections, machine guns were listed so they must've been on double secret illegality status.  This index printed piece was printed by NJSP.  It listed all the important stuff, like what's considered an assault weapon, machine gun (there we go again!), etc., etc., and even had some of the obvious contradictory laws written in chapter & verse.  Of course firearms transportation was covered, and the laws were printed verbatim, so "INTRASTATE" was never utilized.

Here's the kicker:

The Troopers were told to answer all questions pertaining to firearms law by saying, "Read the Brochure".  On the very last "side" of this "Stitch Jones" fold-out, in fine print, it stated (I'm paraphrasing here from YEARS ago, so please bear with me), 

"NO PART OF THIS BROCHURE MAY BE USED AS A STATEMENT OF ACTUAL LAW.  NJ LAWS CHANGE FREQUENTLY AND ARE SUBJECT TO THE INTERPRETATION OF COUNTY PROSECUTORS AND RELEVANT CASE LAW."

So........needless to say, after several #2AHeavyLifters (myself included) bombarded the Troopers in the Booth with pertinent & timely questions NOT ANSWERED in their mega fold-out, the following year NJSP were nowhere to be found at the Outdoor Show!

Mario Van Peebles, aka "Stitch Jones" from the Grenada Medical School shower scene in "Heartbreak Ridge".  Grenada was real, and one of my grooms was rescued during this operation.

MV5BZWJhZGVhYzQtZGY5ZS00NGJmLTlmMmYtYjgzYWE5NmRjOGIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Just like the IRS agents aren't liable for the advice they give out and you call them.

13 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

"NO PART OF THIS BROCHURE MAY BE USED AS A STATEMENT OF ACTUAL LAW.  NJ LAWS CHANGE FREQUENTLY AND ARE SUBJECT TO THE INTERPRETATION OF COUNTY PROSECUTORS AND RELEVANT CASE LAW."

• Haha 1

I have a range bag with different locking compartments. Would I be able to put ammo in one zipper compartment and lock it and put my pistol in another and lock that as well? Or do they have to absolutely be separated and ammo in a can? This is the bag I have. 

Screenshot_20200606-184845_Amazon Shopping.jpg

24 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I have a range bag with different locking compartments. Would I be able to put ammo in one zipper compartment and lock it and put my pistol in another and lock that as well? Or do they have to absolutely be separated and ammo in a can? This is the bag I have. 

Separate compartments are fine - no need for locks

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Separate compartments are fine - no need for locks

So a separate ammo can isn't absolutely necessary? I can store in a different zipper and be ok? I think i definitely want to put on a small lock on the zipper just to play it safe though. 

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

So a separate ammo can isn't absolutely necessary? I can store in a different zipper and be ok? I think i definitely want to put on a small lock on the zipper just to play it safe though. 

Where are you transporting this range bag TO?  Intrastate:  See Bob's simple answer^^^. 

Interstate:  follow FOPA Rules, and keep the ammo in a separate container.

And if you're serious about those stupid padlocks for zippers, throw a set of bolt cutters in the vehicle.  Cause it's only a matter of WHEN, not IF you're going to forget to pack the keys & have to go home for them :) 

Be safe & have fun!

Rosey

25 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Where are you transporting this range bag TO?  Intrastate:  See Bob's simple answer^^^. 

Interstate:  follow FOPA Rules, and keep the ammo in a separate container.

And if you're serious about those stupid padlocks for zippers, throw a set of bolt cutters in the vehicle.  Cause it's only a matter of WHEN, not IF you're going to forget to pack the keys & have to go home for them :) 

Be safe & have fun!

Rosey

I should of been more specific. Traveling just to and from the range within my own state. 

11 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I should of been more specific. Traveling just to and from the range within my own state. 

Then pizza bob's answer is correct. 

that bag is fine. I use an old laptop bag myself. 

• Like 1

Yes, sir. I only carry one bag to the range.

Don't over think this. That bag Is fine to carry it all and fully complies with the law. If you want to carry the ammo in a separate box or bag like many do, nobody is going to make fun of you, either.

And another thing, it's perfectly  legal to transport your magazines loaded, as well. Just do not insert them into the firearm; keep them in a separate pocket. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Yes, sir. I only carry one bag to the range.

Don't over think this. That bag Is fine to carry it all and fully complies with the law. If you want to carry the ammo in a separate box or bag like many do, nobody is going to make fun of you, either.

And another thing, it's perfectly  legal to transport your magazines loaded, as well. Just do not insert them into the firearm; keep them in a separate pocket. 

Thank you. I appreciate your help and feedback.