Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thank you.  I am not an instructor or currently even affiliated with any private clubs.  I doubt 14 gives out info to anyone since it is technically on a military base, but I am only guessing.  We are just looking to shoot in a private backyard where the neighbors don't care since some of them do the same.

It reminds me of another friend in the Pocono foorhills who does the same, although he has 12 acres surrounded on 3 sides by a steep ridgeline.  The neighbors there pretty much do anything they please - shoot full-auto machine guns...4th of July fireworks shows that rival Grucci events....you name it, lol.  Here in our central jersey suburbs, the cops creep around in the dark looking for anyone shooting a bottle rocket.

But at any rate, I guess we will stick to what he has instead of riding around with mine in the trunk.  I've only been pulled over once in 30 years, and that was dark tint and a license plate bracket that covered up the state slogan.  But it isn't worth taking the chance really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Thank you.  I am not an instructor or currently even affiliated with any private clubs.  I doubt 14 gives out info to anyone since it is technically on a military base, but I am only guessing.  We are just looking to shoot in a private backyard where the neighbors don't care since some of them do the same.

It reminds me of another friend in the Pocono foorhills who does the same, although he has 12 acres surrounded on 3 sides by a steep ridgeline.  The neighbors there pretty much do anything they please - shoot full-auto machine guns...4th of July fireworks shows that rival Grucci events....you name it, lol.  Here in our central jersey suburbs, the cops creep around in the dark looking for anyone shooting a bottle rocket.

But at any rate, I guess we will stick to what he has instead of riding around with mine in the trunk.  I've only been pulled over once in 30 years, and that was dark tint and a license plate bracket that covered up the state slogan.  But it isn't worth taking the chance really.

Have FUN & remember that your Yellow Card gets you to your friend's place with any NJ compliant long gun, so all is not lost!

~R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

He did... and everyone provided the correct NJ state statute for legal transport. 

I've watched someone walk out of an FFL with a gun(used) in a brown paper taped closed...

The NJSP are not known for providing accurate legal advice... and i don't believe they are even allowed to do so anyway. But who will stop them?

Since NJ statutes provide the accurate info, i would in the future reference that, not the State police FAQ page.

 

 

 

@JackDaWack I didn't want to let this important morsel of fact fall by the wayside due to our resident instigator.

Many years ago, at the annual Outdoor Show held at Raritan Center every January, the NJSP would have a booth manned by two spit-shined Troopers in full uniform with every crease in the right place.  They were there to hand-out "NJ Firearms Laws brochures", a blue multi-fold, professionally printed piece on "index" heavy-duty paper.  The Troopers were of course bombarded with questions from every angle, and from every level of intellect from all walks of life.  They did the best they could, and carried-out their detail, as ordered.

The blue index folding set of "Laws" looked more like "Stitch Jones's credit cards" that he took into battle in Grenada in the Clint Eastwood movie, "Heartbreak Ridge".  I mean Gunny Highway would be proud as there were MANY folds in this thing, lol!

The NJ firearms laws reminded everyone that everything was ILLEGAL, and started out that way.  And for some reason, in multiple subsections, machine guns were listed so they must've been on double secret illegality status.  This index printed piece was printed by NJSP.  It listed all the important stuff, like what's considered an assault weapon, machine gun (there we go again!), etc., etc., and even had some of the obvious contradictory laws written in chapter & verse.  Of course firearms transportation was covered, and the laws were printed verbatim, so "INTRASTATE" was never utilized.

Here's the kicker:

The Troopers were told to answer all questions pertaining to firearms law by saying, "Read the Brochure".  On the very last "side" of this "Stitch Jones" fold-out, in fine print, it stated (I'm paraphrasing here from YEARS ago, so please bear with me), 

"NO PART OF THIS BROCHURE MAY BE USED AS A STATEMENT OF ACTUAL LAW.  NJ LAWS CHANGE FREQUENTLY AND ARE SUBJECT TO THE INTERPRETATION OF COUNTY PROSECUTORS AND RELEVANT CASE LAW."

So........needless to say, after several #2AHeavyLifters (myself included) bombarded the Troopers in the Booth with pertinent & timely questions NOT ANSWERED in their mega fold-out, the following year NJSP were nowhere to be found at the Outdoor Show!

Mario Van Peebles, aka "Stitch Jones" from the Grenada Medical School shower scene in "Heartbreak Ridge".  Grenada was real, and one of my grooms was rescued during this operation.

MV5BZWJhZGVhYzQtZGY5ZS00NGJmLTlmMmYtYjgzYWE5NmRjOGIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like the IRS agents aren't liable for the advice they give out and you call them.

13 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

"NO PART OF THIS BROCHURE MAY BE USED AS A STATEMENT OF ACTUAL LAW.  NJ LAWS CHANGE FREQUENTLY AND ARE SUBJECT TO THE INTERPRETATION OF COUNTY PROSECUTORS AND RELEVANT CASE LAW."

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a range bag with different locking compartments. Would I be able to put ammo in one zipper compartment and lock it and put my pistol in another and lock that as well? Or do they have to absolutely be separated and ammo in a can? This is the bag I have. 

Screenshot_20200606-184845_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I have a range bag with different locking compartments. Would I be able to put ammo in one zipper compartment and lock it and put my pistol in another and lock that as well? Or do they have to absolutely be separated and ammo in a can? This is the bag I have. 

Separate compartments are fine - no need for locks

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Separate compartments are fine - no need for locks

So a separate ammo can isn't absolutely necessary? I can store in a different zipper and be ok? I think i definitely want to put on a small lock on the zipper just to play it safe though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

So a separate ammo can isn't absolutely necessary? I can store in a different zipper and be ok? I think i definitely want to put on a small lock on the zipper just to play it safe though. 

Where are you transporting this range bag TO?  Intrastate:  See Bob's simple answer^^^. 

Interstate:  follow FOPA Rules, and keep the ammo in a separate container.

And if you're serious about those stupid padlocks for zippers, throw a set of bolt cutters in the vehicle.  Cause it's only a matter of WHEN, not IF you're going to forget to pack the keys & have to go home for them :) 

Be safe & have fun!

Rosey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Where are you transporting this range bag TO?  Intrastate:  See Bob's simple answer^^^. 

Interstate:  follow FOPA Rules, and keep the ammo in a separate container.

And if you're serious about those stupid padlocks for zippers, throw a set of bolt cutters in the vehicle.  Cause it's only a matter of WHEN, not IF you're going to forget to pack the keys & have to go home for them :) 

Be safe & have fun!

Rosey

I should of been more specific. Traveling just to and from the range within my own state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I should of been more specific. Traveling just to and from the range within my own state. 

Then pizza bob's answer is correct. 

that bag is fine. I use an old laptop bag myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, sir. I only carry one bag to the range.

Don't over think this. That bag Is fine to carry it all and fully complies with the law. If you want to carry the ammo in a separate box or bag like many do, nobody is going to make fun of you, either.

And another thing, it's perfectly  legal to transport your magazines loaded, as well. Just do not insert them into the firearm; keep them in a separate pocket. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Yes, sir. I only carry one bag to the range.

Don't over think this. That bag Is fine to carry it all and fully complies with the law. If you want to carry the ammo in a separate box or bag like many do, nobody is going to make fun of you, either.

And another thing, it's perfectly  legal to transport your magazines loaded, as well. Just do not insert them into the firearm; keep them in a separate pocket. 

 

Thank you. I appreciate your help and feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Supporting Vendors

  • Latest Topics

  • Similar Content

    • By bhunted
      A fellow forum was asking about a display case for his wife’s pistol I believe. So I decided after seeing some display cases for insane prices, to make my own out of more or less cheap prices. 
      This one will be for my Nighthawk Custom Falcon 1911.
      I started out with a humidor I had when I was on a cigar kick with the club.
      Humidors make perfect cases for your gun. 
      Why? Its designed to keep moisture in so your cigars don’t dry out. Ones that are well made have a nice tight seal.
      ‘But John, we don’t want to keep moisture in. It will hurt the gun’. Correctomundo! But using it to keep moisture out works too! If you are not a cigar smoker, a humidor keeps the cigars from drying out by putting a moisture pad inside. We simply won’t be using the moisture pad nor the cheapo humidity gauge they usually give you.
      So lets start. One used but still in great shape humidor with glass lid. If you don’t have one, you can pick up something decent for about $50. I added a lik leather NH tag to use to open lid. They are air tight and easier to open with something to grab.

      If you use a humidor, they sometimes come with a lil shelf and divider. Toss them.
      Next, we added a little antique bronze clasp. 5 for $12 on Amazon. They come with tiny wood screws. You’ll need a jeweler type phillips head and a small awl to start a hole. Do not screw in without a starter hole. Also a mini pad lock with skeleton key.


      Next, you’ll want something to lay in there like velvet. I chose purple velvet. Rather than buy it by the yard, I actually got 2 - 14”x14” pillow shams with zippers on Amazon for about $11...
      This is a lot cheaper than buying it by the yard plus you don’t gave to sew anything. Just stuff it and zip it.

      You will need something to stuff it. That is your choice. I already had a bag of poly fill from another project. You can even rio open al old pillow and use the guts.


      Next is rechargeable Silica packs. I got a 25 count bag cheap also on Amazon. I chose to line the bottom of the case and also throw some inside the sham.


      Once you beat it and adjust it to get in the right position, you can see how the gun sits and adjust as needed.
      Next is optional and not cheap. I picked up 2 - Sensor Push bluetooth temp/humidity sensors for $50 each. One for the box and one for my safe. After calibrating them and pairing them to my phone, I inserted one into the display case.


      You don’t have to do this but I’m a bit of a tech nerd so.... [emoji6]
      You can also use a cheap digital one too.
      This one transmits data and stores 20 points which you can set alarms in the app if moisture increases. Kind of more important in my safe but....[emoji16]
      Here is a sample of the data. I just put them in so it will take time to level off.


      That’s pretty much it. Outside of the sensors, its cheap, easy and looks great. You can fo crazy with it or go simple.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By SIGMan Freud
      Fun little gun - especially if you're a plinker. I am the original owner of this gun and it is lightly used, with only 74 rounds through it. Comes with everything as you would expect when buying new. 4.25" .45 Colt/.410 barrel, matching holster and case. I also have some .410 defensive load shells. Can have my FFL ship to yours or we can meet at his place in Manahawkin for a face-to-face.
      Prices:
      Bond Arms Ranger II w/holster - $475 Assortment of 56 .410 defensive load shells - $30 ($57 value) PM me if interested. Thanks! 
      Dave





       

       

    • By Gunnz
      Guess the state has a new system for pistol permits and FID cards?!?

    • By IkeBrof1ovski
      So I've got my FID and am looking to purchase a replica MP40 airgun for target practice. This is the gun in question I'm particularly looking at https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex_Legends_MP40_CO2_BB_Submachine_Gun/4312
      The gun itself is capable of full auto firing at roughly 450fps. It also includes a 52rd pellet mag. I've read up on the airgun laws and know that airguns are considered firearms under NJ state law, so does that mean every firearm law applies to airguns also or are there exceptions to them where you can purchase any airgun as long as you have an FID?
      Thanks
    • By JerseyJim
      Referenced in other threads is a news/law story about the LAPD's overreaching to seize firearms:
      http://michellawyers.com/former-police-officer-files-racketeering-lawsuit-against-los-angeles-police-department/
      http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Complaint.pdf
      http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/08/johannes-paulsen/ca-vet-seeks-justice-after-lapd-destroys-his-700k-gun-collection/
      The story came out in 2015 but I can't find anything newer about how the case was adjudicated.  Does anyone know more about this lawsuit?   
      I am curious about such cases but often there is little followup after the initial court filing, especially if a lawsuit went against the gun control people.
  • Posts

    • Work around - don't get the real id. Do it online. Then pick a different less busy line in the form of getting a passport card. It is accepted for flights. Heck a passport might be as well if you already have one. 
    • Thanks - I was fairly sure that was the case. If anyone else is interested: I found the guidance form the NSSF here ( http://www2.nssf.org/l/127421/2020-04-28/42prlx ) that says as much and even references/links the ATF guidance for these situations.
    • You are going to be fine. oakridge is saying exactly what you were told by your local PD. While your physical DL shows it expired, the computer systems will show it was extended due to the wuhu flu and, therefore, valid. 
    • Someone's gonna give ya shit for this comment, but I agree. The books are comprehensive and organized, but at the end of the day the same information is found all over the place. 
×
×
  • Create New...