Ray Ray

SpaceX, 'murica baby!

17 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Thoughts?

It's about time.  Let's light this candle.

Godspeed, Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken.

(space geeks of a certain age will get the two references from the Mercury program)

• Agree 1

When Cindy and I were on our honeymoon we went to watch the launch of the space shuttle. It was the last sucessful flight of Discovery. 35 years later it is still one the most impressive things I have ever witnessed in person.

Yes after getting my new bride up a 4 AM to drive half way across Florida to watch the launch we are still married.

Years ago I found myself on a big gray boat 35 miles off the coast of KSC the night of a launch. Would have been between the pad and where the boasters land in the ocean so it would have flown right over my head.  Launch was postponed 24 hours so the next night I was quite a bit further away. Could still see it but it looked like holding a lighter at arms length.   Still cool but not the same. 

34 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Years ago I found myself on a big gray boat 35 miles off the coast of KSC the night of a launch. Would have been between the pad and where the boasters land in the ocean so it would have flown right over my head.  Launch was postponed 24 hours so the next night I was quite a bit further away. Could still see it but it looked like holding a lighter at arms length.   Still cool but not the same. 

I've seen a few launches from a distance in the West Palm Beach area including one at night while off the coast while fishing for swordfish. I was actually fighting a 300lb Sword and just stopped reeling and watched the show. 

1 hour ago, tomk62 said:

Launch is scrubbed for today due to weather.

It's a shame. I was hoping due to the gap in weather they would go for it, but considering lightning can travel 25 miles from where it originates, plus the shift in weather over 20 minutes was going to make it too tight.

Did they say when it's rescheduled to?

Great video. We don't have NASA channel which I presume carried the feed. But C-SPAN covered it. I just wish they hadn't stuck their chyron on the screen starting at around 14:00. They left it there for about 15 minutes to tell me 'they're on their way to the space station'.

If you didn't see the direct feed there were multiple shots inside the cabin, on all the stages forward and back, and the glowing engine bell on the 2nd stage while it was running. The one thing they missed live was the touchdown of the first stage on that ship. Now that's on target!

Anyway, great shot!

lwj8frmbsy151.gif

7 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Great video. We don't have NASA channel which I presume carried the feed. But C-SPAN covered it. I just wish they hadn't stuck their chyron on the screen starting at around 14:00. They left it there for about 15 minutes to tell me 'they're on their way to the space station'.

If you didn't see the direct feed there were multiple shots inside the cabin, on all the stages forward and back, and the glowing engine bell on the 2nd stage while it was running. The one thing they missed live was the touchdown of the first stage on that ship. Now that's on target!

Anyway, great shot!

I was watching the SpaceX feed on Youtube Live.  They had loss of video signal when the first stage landed - it happens a lot.

Also:

zq9bsgzjky151.gif