jm1827

.22 LR Wheel Gun?

I am getting ready to apply for a couple P2Ps, I definitely want a 22LR wheel gun.  I am leaning toward an S&W 617, I already have a 686 in .357Mag.  I was also thinking about perhaps an &W 63, but felt it may be too light, also thinking about a Ruger GP100.

Any thoughts on those revolvers in .22LR?  Will probably get a second wheel gun as well with my second permit, debating between a 9mm or 44 mag, I know completely different, I just like shooting wheel guns and wan to try something new.

I have 617 10 shot and gave my wife my 8 shot 63, was a fun gun but too cute lol, and was the only gun my wife would shoot. The 617 is also fun and very accurate, I ping steel more often than not at just under 50 yds and that's the 4" brl. A bit pricy but you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I have the Ruger single six .22LR &.22Mag cylinder.  Great choice if you want single action.

combo_0.jpg

I was leaning toward double action, but I really like the fact that the single six is .22LR and .22Mag!

44 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

I was leaning toward double action, but I really like the fact that the single six is .22LR and .22Mag!

All my wheel guns are d/s action but I fell in love with the build quality, the feel in the hand and the Mag cylinder. This is a favorite and is with me on most every range trip. :)

A .22 is always a great choice! 

I've had a S&W K .22 Masterpiece for decades.  A real tack-driver & a great trainer!  Mine is the 8 3/8" barrel.

It would have been at Old Bridge R&P Club's ladies Day at the Range again this year if not for the Covid closure...

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Here's Emily Cutts, then 15 in March of last year, at her private range in the Pines.  Ruger .22 all tricked-out with TandemKross.  She's a sponsored shooter.  Her family are big 2A proponents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

A .22 is always a great choice! 

I've had a S&W K .22 Masterpiece for decades.  A real tack-driver & a great trainer!  Mine is the 8 3/8" barrel.

It would have been at Old Bridge R&P Club's ladies Day at the Range again this year if not for the Covid closure...

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Here's Emily Cutts, then 15 in March of last year, at her private range in the Pines.  Ruger .22 all tricked-out with TandemKross.  She's a sponsored shooter.  Her family are big 2A proponents.

Definitely have to agree. The K22 is one of my favorites. 

pix852786134.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Rosey - I know you may have told your wife that that is 8 3/8", but we both know that is only 6".

Hahaha!  On a good day, MAYBE 6" @Pizza Bob.  But at least no one can call me a schmuck (I answer to schmeckle, lol)!

Mine shot the ass off a mouse.  The S&W that is, lol!  Slug is still in the linoleum (YES, there's a STORY there)!

Have a great weekend Bob & hope to shoot with you soon!

~R

23 hours ago, siderman said:

I have 617 10 shot and gave my wife my 8 shot 63, was a fun gun but too cute lol, and was the only gun my wife would shoot. The 617 is also fun and very accurate, I ping steel more often than not at just under 50 yds and that's the 4" brl. A bit pricy but you get what you pay for.

That's what I was thinking, I like a heavier revolver, so I am leaning towards the 617.  But the Ruger single 6 looks like another option, or maybe the Wrangler and save some coin for a .44 mag.....

I have a 6" 617, my daughter loves that gun. Also have a speedloader setup for it which makes it much more fun to shoot.

Have you shot a .44 Magnum? I have a 629, few people like to shoot it. Some will take all 6 shots, some pull the trigger once and hand it back to me. I bought it just because I collect S&W's. I'll shoot 6 rounds then put it away, everything else will feel like a .22 after that!  :)

I don't have a 9mm revolver, but do have a 10mm, S&W 610. I usually shoot .40 through it with moon clips.

• Like 1