I got an email asking me to be a "reference" for someone I know that is looking to get a firearms permit. It's worded like, "xxx is being investigated to determine his/her suitability for the issuance of N.J. Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun. This individual has identified you as the background reference in their application. Your feedback is essential for further processing of this application." And then has a follow up link for me to fill out some questions.

Am I liable for what this person does with his/her firearm after I fill this out? For example, I'm worried that if I am a reference and years later this person is convicted of a crime involving a firearm I will somehow be implicated because I was his "reference". Has this happened or is this something I shouldn't worry about? I live in monmouth county if it makes any difference.

My goodness NO.....You have ZERO liability!   This person considers you a friend who trusts you enough to vouch for their character, simple as that.  It does not matter where you live.  You are WAY overthinking this!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I have a question. Is this person not your friend and did not let you know or ask you to be his reference?

They are my friend and they did ask me to be a reference. I'm just wondering if there has been an instance where a reference has been charged with a crime when someone they "vouched" for committed a firearms offense, or if it is even a possibility.

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

If you are uncomfortable vouching for them then don’t 

I mean that's solid advice, hard to really argue against that. For anyone else reading the thread I'm not looking to decide whether or not I "should" vouch for them, I'm only trying to figure out if I inherit some liability or possible future legal problems for doing so.

1 minute ago, monmouthresident said:

I mean that's solid advice, hard to really argue against that. For anyone else reading the thread I'm not looking to decide whether or not I "should" vouch for them, I'm only trying to figure out if I inherit some liability or possible future legal problems for doing so.

What do you feel your friend would do that would make you liable?

Just now, Zeke said:

What do you feel your friend would do that would make you liable?

I don't think they would do anything, but I also can't see into the future either. Really I'm just trying to generally discern whether this "Reference" is just a meaningless litmus test or a binding legal contract where I am tied to the person I give a reference for and any of their future actions.

4 minutes ago, monmouthresident said:

I don't think they would do anything, but I also can't see into the future either. Really I'm just trying to generally discern whether this "Reference" is just a meaningless litmus test or a binding legal contract where I am tied to the person I give a reference for and any of their future actions.

No one can see into the future and that’s why you are held harmless unless you feel your friend should not own a firearm from your personal history.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, monmouthresident said:

The short answer is no.

You are attesting that your friend is NOT someone who, based on your past experience, should not have access to a firearm TODAY.

And by doing so you make no future prediction.

If he really is your friend, then be his reference.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:51 PM, monmouthresident said:

Sounds like your friend needs better friends. 

• Agree 2