124gr9mm

"Protest" planned in Newark today (May 30)???

Read on another site that there's a "protest" planned at 12:45 in Newark today.

Anyone going?

I was thinking of packing some sandwiches and taking the kids.  Maybe there will be some good speeches and reasonable discourse about the state of race relations and the force used by police.

• Haha 2

I was listening to the NYPD Brooklyn scanner frequencies last night.  Things were pretty intense.  I was very impressed by the woman who was handling the dispatching.    She clearly was very effective  working under pressure. 

The People’s Organization for Progress, which aims to eradicate racism, will protest beginning at 1 p.m. at the Lincoln statue, located at West Market Street and Springfield Avenue, in Newark. Protesters are asked to arrive wearing virus-protective masks and gloves no later than 12:45 p.m.

Among the other protests planned in New Jersey:

• At noon on Saturday, a group will meet at Frieda’s Garden, 323 North 4th Avenue in Highland Park in Middlesex County. A procession will go to Staten Island to the site where Eric Garner died before heading to Garner’s grave in Union County.
  • In Trenton on Saturday, a coalition of groups is planning a solidarity march beginning at 1 p.m. on State Street in front of the capitol building.
  • Also Saturday in Hudson County, a protest was planned for 3 p.m. in James J. Braddock Park in North Bergen.
  • In Bloomfield, the township council and community faith leaders are holding a vigil on Zoom scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Black Lives Matter Morristown plans a protest at 7 p.m. on Saturday. The rally will start as a car procession from Morristown High School and will end with a social-distanced vigil outside Morris Township police headquarters.
  • A second protest in Trenton, “Justice for George Floyd,” is planned from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, according to PlanetPrinceton.com.
  • There will be a Black Lives Matter protest at the Jersey Shore beginning at 3 p.m. on Monday in the Point Pleasant Beach/Silver Lake parking lot.
  • Also Monday, a group calling itself “Asbury Park Justice for George Floyd” is hosting a 5 p.m. rally at 801 Bangs Ave.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2020/05/protests-over-george-floyds-death-at-police-hands-spreading-across-nj.html

I was just in Trenton to check on my wife while she was doing a job aat one of the fine retail establishments there...call it logistical support. ahem.  Nothing going on except couples pushing strollers in the sunshine.  Then again, the freaks don't like moving around before nightfall.