siderman

Cherry Ridge question-

Any of you recent visitors know if the handgun range is allowing two per port? Such as bringing a newb or wife? I"ll be making what is probly my last trip there And want my wife to get in her bi-annual trip too. Well, try anyway.

1 hour ago, siderman said:

Any of you recent visitors know if the handgun range is allowing two per port? Such as bringing a newb or wife? I"ll be making what is probly my last trip there And want my wife to get in her bi-annual trip too. Well, try anyway.

Their website doesn't seem to address port sharing, though it does say that for now only immediate family members can be guested in.

I can say that last Friday afternoon, there were two guys sharing a gun and a port on the pistol range (one shooting, one seated, then they'd swap).   The RO didn't say anything when he wandered by.   But for most of the time I was there, they and I were the only ones on the range--can't be sure if things would have been different if the range was crowded or if they'd both been in the port at the same time.

• Agree 1

I was there a Week ago Sunday and they were making us go every other port, however there were a number of people sharing a port who obviously arrived together.

The RO that was there wasn't busting anyone's balls.  We talked a bit and he was just happy the range was open.

I took my nephew to Cherry Ridge yesterday as his birthday present.  I've gotten him quite interested in shooting, he's bought 5 guns in the last year, and is dabbling in bullseye and action pistol.  He'd never shot a rifle past 25 yards, and was very interested in trying that.

So we packed a lunch, overpacked the car and his truck, and made a day of it.   Eight full hours, and for the first time I actually hit all six ranges in a day:  shotgun/five stand, archery, 25/50 yard pistol, 50/100 yard rifle, 200/300 yard rifle, and plinking.

I'd not shot five stand before, and had an absolute blast with the various target presentations.  The running rabbit and the incoming bird (which looks like it's launched from 200 yards out) are particularly fiendish.   

I rarely go up there on a weekend, but it wasn't too crowded.   50/100 yard rifle was most busy, followed by the pistol range.   The shotgun range was busier than usual, but never full.   Their wonderful plinking range usually had 0-2 people on it, and archery and 200/300 yard rifle were usually empty, but for us.

A bonus of which I wasn't aware:  for the month of August, Cherry Ridge is letting all members bring in one guest at no charge.  The guest fee is normally $35, so it's a nice savings.  If you're a member, or know one, try to take advantage!  (Sorry, I've already used my free guest pass).

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

A bonus of which I wasn't aware:  for the month of August, Cherry Ridge is letting all members bring in one guest at no charge.  The guest fee is normally $35, so it's a nice savings.  If you're a member, or know one, try to take advantage!  (Sorry, I've already used my free guest pass).

Glad you had fun.  I have never done all 6 in a day, but when we used to have NJGF gatherings up there, we'd hit everything else but Archery.  Those tended to be long days, but fun!

Thanks for the notice on the free guest.  I've got a friend I want to bring up but he's always busy, this might be the ticket to make him to be less busy.

I do miss CR a lot.would typically make a day out of it or until my eyes or knees would call it quits. Now reside in FL and the nearest outdoor range is almost an hr away now but will get over there to check it out. Plenty of indoor ranges all within 20 mins and cheap. I just don't like them given a choice, am a little claustrophobic and don't like a clock ticking over my shoulder. Also lots of pawn shops that buy/ sell guns to check out although I'm sure these days no bargains, if guns, are to be had. Come to think of it that's a good idea, go hit a few pawns and get the lay of the land down here they love to talk and I've got plenty of cash to flash:B:):

11 hours ago, 10X said:

I took my nephew to Cherry Ridge yesterday as his birthday present.  I've gotten him quite interested in shooting, he's bought 5 guns in the last year, and is dabbling in bullseye and action pistol.  He'd never shot a rifle past 25 yards, and was very interested in trying that.

So we packed a lunch, overpacked the car and his truck, and made a day of it.   Eight full hours, and for the first time I actually hit all six ranges in a day:  shotgun/five stand, archery, 25/50 yard pistol, 50/100 yard rifle, 200/300 yard rifle, and plinking.

I'd not shot five stand before, and had an absolute blast with the various target presentations.  The running rabbit and the incoming bird (which looks like it's launched from 200 yards out) are particularly fiendish.   

I rarely go up there on a weekend, but it wasn't too crowded.   50/100 yard rifle was most busy, followed by the pistol range.   The shotgun range was busier than usual, but never full.   Their wonderful plinking range usually had 0-2 people on it, and archery and 200/300 yard rifle were usually empty, but for us.

that's awesome.  i wonder if you were the two who sat down briefly at the rimfire range while I was there early in the AM.

2 hours ago, Ryu said:

that's awesome.  i wonder if you were the two who sat down briefly at the rimfire range while I was there early in the AM.

No, we started the morning at 5 stand, then archery.  Didn't make it to the rimfire range till about 5 pm, then finished at pistol at 6.

Sorry we missed you.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:02 AM, siderman said:

....late to the party....lol

Edited by USRifle30Cal
Old thread new post not needed