Hi guys,

I've been reading around the site and others and I was hoping someone could clarify on what my best option would be.

I've sold off most of the collection and I'm really just planning on moving over with a compliant lower and then buying a compliant upper once I'm settled in. I'm flying into Newark in the next few weeks and I was thinking I could just check the lower but I'm flying in on a Sunday and staying at a hotel that night before getting the keys to my new place on Monday. It seems like the hotel wouldn't be covered under the exemptions so I'm not sure if this would work.

I thought about shipping it to myself through USPS but I don't think I can do the lower because it falls under "other firearms capable of being concealed on the person" under the USPS rules. UPS & FedEx are out because they only allow FFL to FFL.

Do you think staying at the hotel for one night would cause an issue? If so, would my best bet be to just buy the compliant upper now and ship the entire rifle through USPS to avoid any issues?

Thanks in advance!

Since it's a lower receiver for a rifle, it's a long gun.  You can ship long guns via USPS.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service#:~:text=The U.S. Postal Service recommends,used to ship a handgun.

Just put it in a non identifiable box and make sure you don't say what's in it and you will be fine.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Since it's a lower receiver for a rifle, it's a long gun.  You can ship long guns via USPS.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service#:~:text=The U.S. Postal Service recommends,used to ship a handgun.

Just put it in a non identifiable box and make sure you don't say what's in it and you will be fine.

I would leave a compliant (It cannot be an adjustable length or folding stock.) rifle stock attached to the lower.

I think stripped lower recievers have a separate classification and different rules. 

29 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I would leave a compliant (It cannot be an adjustable length or folding stock.) rifle stock attached to the lower.

I think stripped lower recievers have a separate classification and different rules. 

It's not a stripped lower, though - OP said it's a compliant lower, which means it's completed.

I'm sorry your moving here.....I truly regret moving here 9 years ago. You will find that NJ may actually be worse than California in terms of 2A rights and self-defense. The systemic hostility directed at law abiding gun owners in this state is well documented along with NJ's callous disregard towards victims of crime. The overwhelming majority of the people that live here along with local governments despise the idea of self-defense in any form and have an admiration for common thugs. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

It's not a stripped lower, though - OP said it's a compliant lower, which means it's completed.

Correct. Advising OP not to strip it down to save on shipping. I know I would think about it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

13 hours ago, baph said:

Hi guys,

I've been reading around the site and others and I was hoping someone could clarify on what my best option would be.

I've sold off most of the collection and I'm really just planning on moving over with a compliant lower and then buying a compliant upper once I'm settled in. I'm flying into Newark in the next few weeks and I was thinking I could just check the lower but I'm flying in on a Sunday and staying at a hotel that night before getting the keys to my new place on Monday. It seems like the hotel wouldn't be covered under the exemptions so I'm not sure if this would work.

I thought about shipping it to myself through USPS but I don't think I can do the lower because it falls under "other firearms capable of being concealed on the person" under the USPS rules. UPS & FedEx are out because they only allow FFL to FFL.

Do you think staying at the hotel for one night would cause an issue? If so, would my best bet be to just buy the compliant upper now and ship the entire rifle through USPS to avoid any issues?

Thanks in advance!

What about performing or having the compliance work done prior to moving out here? If you're looking at another upper maybe order it now depending on how many weeks is "a few".

Thanks for the response guys, yeah since I'm at home now and it's easier to receive things here I placed an order for a BCM 14.5 upper with a pinned brake on it. I'll just ship it complete and then hopefully can find a range in the area of my new place and get some shooting in.

I'm starting to think NJ is a bit more strict then CA, even though I can take off this terrible MagLock I'm a little sketched out about not having my FPID and going to the range even though I know it's 100% fine.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, baph said:

I'm starting to think NJ is a bit more strict then CA,

In some ways yes and in other ways no.

We do not have a handgun roster, so most handguns are legal here - only handguns construed as "Assault Weapons" are banned here.

The regulations on what is construed to be "Assault Weapons" here are not as strict as CA. NJ also does not register or keep a database of long guns that you own.

Although purchasing firearms here is a little more complicated by needing an FPID card or  handgun purchase permits, you will have a greater variety available, particularly with handguns.