Malsua

Why is UPS so messed up?

I guess business is kicking back in?  I've had multiple packages delayed at work.   One shipped from Boston on Friday.  It still hasn't arrived and those normally come the next day.

Then this thing.  Got a new cover for my truck bed, it's somewhere, bouncing around in a truck, or not, or it is, or not, or who the eff knows.

I guess if I wait long enough I'll get my money back from Amazon.  Wow this is annoying.

ups.jpg

3 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I sent a priority letter to AZ . It went to Guam for 10 days. 

I had that in Puerto Rico with USPS.

I had the right address on the package...it floated around the island for almost two weeks until someone finally looked at the label and delivered it there.  I think the post office had the electronic data wrong.

Honestly, I don't think a UPS truck has been around my town this week at all.

Two weeks ago, had a customer who paid almost $100 for next day air before 10:00am on a Saturday to Massachusetts.  The package was picked up here at noon on Friday.  She called Saturday morning to make sure it was on it's way.  Package showed up for the first time in the UPS system on Monday and it arrived on Wednesday.  This was pretty critical for the customer to close out a big job and we probably would have driven to meet them half way if we knew UPS couldn't get it done.

No way to be reimbursed for shipping - no guarantees during COVID.

12 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Two weeks ago, had a customer who paid almost $100 for next day air before 10:00am on a Saturday to Massachusetts.  The package was picked up here at noon on Friday.  She called Saturday morning to make sure it was on it's way.  Package showed up for the first time in the UPS system on Monday and it arrived on Wednesday.  This was pretty critical for the customer to close out a big job and we probably would have driven to meet them half way if we knew UPS couldn't get it done.

No way to be reimbursed for shipping - no guarantees during COVID.

A neighbor called, our driver was "out sick".  Probably still is.  Probably sick of long hours.  My package is out for delivery again today.  I have no expectation that anything is changing.  They are simply going to ignore our route until they get around to it.  Our guy probably is taking this week off, so next Monday at best.

The volume is staggering now with many ordering online.  They are not staffed for it, which is not a shocker.  I get emails from all of them begging for bodies to process the packages. The only problem is that they still want to pay nearly nothing in return for busting your hump at 2am.

Warehousing is like prison labor with Cool Hand Luke. It is hot (especially now that summer is upon us), they don't aircon the place, they expect you to go full tilt every minute of your shift and be on call like a doctor (at 12 bucks an hour)...christmas day?  F U, come in or you are terminated.  Getting married tomorrow? F U termination.  I compiled this from people who made the mistake of signing up with Amazon.  Their turnover is legendary.  Meanwhile Bezos is sipping wine on his boat.

I knew a UPS guy a long time ago. They had things they wore on their wrist/hand to scan packages, but it also kept track of where you were at all times, how many packages you were scanning a minute, how long you were in the can, etc. Very big brother.

I had a UPS driver who didn't ring the doorbell for a  prepaid pickup. I called customer service who said it would cost me another fee to pick up the item.  I asked for a supervisor and was told they don't do that. Then I asked for the reps name and she hung up on me. Worst service I ever had at any company. My wife was laughing while listening in cause it was like a sitcom episode.

31 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

I have a pc mouse I ordered arrive in a the warehouse about 3 miles down the road, then sent to some place in Trenton, and then to Langhorn PA for delivery.  Amazon needs a little logistics tweaking.  Or less white powder.

Back in the day before Fedex ground, Fedex shipped EVERYTHING, every, single package went to the hub in Tennessee.   You ship something to your next door neighbor and it was flown out of state before coming right back.   It had to do with their optimization system and it worked very well.     This was in the 90s.

When the airplane fuel costs  started to be an issue, it changed and they figured out a way to do local turn-arounds.    

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Back in the day before Fedex ground, Fedex shipped EVERYTHING, every, single package went to the hub in Tennessee. 

I think UPS did/does the same thing with their hub in Kentucky. You send something three doors down the street and it is riding two airplanes to get there. 

Yesterday - had a FEDEX delivery coming that I needed to be able to ship to one of our customers.  It was going to be delivered Thursday but was delayed to Friday.  Got a notice Friday morning that it was on the truck for delivery.  Late in the afternoon, my wife said "there goes the FEDEX truck as it drove past without stopping.  10 minutes later the status changed to delayed again.  I'm sure the driver already put in a long day and probably had to get to his daughter's birthday celebration.  I don't blame the driver.  I even understand why FEDEX can't keep up right now. But, at least, give us realistic delivery estimates.  They certainly track enough data to know days ahead if there is a 10% chance of your package making it on Friday or a 90% chance.  Just share the info and I'll plan around it.

Jeez.  I needed a charger cable, so as a Prime member on Amazon, I ordered one.  Forget about 2 day delivery, I can deal with waiting a bit for now, but this covid excuse is getting old.  Do I get a partial refund on the annual Prime fee?

So I have 3 main warehouses within 15 minutes of me.  The package tracking shows it going from nearby all the way to Langhorn PA and back to where it started from.  Just throw the damn thing on my lawn as you drive past.

• Haha 1

Just now, AlDente67 said:

Jeez.  I needed a charger cable, so as a Prime member on Amazon, I ordered one.  Forget about 2 day delivery, I can deal with waiting a bit for now, but this covid excuse is getting old.  Do I get a partial refund on the annual Prime fee?

So I have 3 main warehouses within 15 minutes of me.  The package tracking shows it going from nearby all the way to Langhorn PA and back to where it started from.  Just throw the damn thing on my lawn as you drive past.

Yeah, I actually went to Home Depot and Lowes  to find some Rain Bird irrigation valves because Amazon wasn't shipping for weeks.   It reminded me of how much I dislike hunting for specific things in stores.

Home Depot says Aisle 12, EC2.   Ok, I know, after a dozen ventures like this that EC stands for End cap.  However, EC2?  Which end?  It's neither.  Seriously.  I ask around and a guy points down about 3 aisles.    It was on Aisle 22, EC1.  Asswipes.   Of course, I get there and the 3 in stock turns into 1 new in stock, with 2 returns of unknown working state.   I buy one and go to a different store and repeat the same procedure.  Nothing is ever where it is supposed to be.

Lowes?   Buried behind a box, 12 feet in the air, 3 bays down.  !@#$^%!!!!!!

Having worked at HD a few years ago, I always found the database was wrong because some daytime employee just decided to stock product randomly.  So even the $2000 scanner units we had access to for that purpose had no clue what Jethro did the day before.