Malsua

Valentine 1 Gen 1

First question.  Anyone else have a Gen2?

So I've been running a Valentine 1 gen 1 since 1995.   I have upgraded this Radar Detector 4 or 5 times.  It currently is on the most recent firmware available for the Gen 1.

Now they have a Gen 2.  

I bought a Gen 2 full retail.  The reason is because of Covid and the shutdown Valentine Research is not doing upgrades yet.   I am going to Florida in a few weeks and I wanted to get my hands on the new RD for the trip because it is blue-tooth to the phone and allows  you to modify sweeps and whatnot to block persistent sources.  Very useful.

I will have the old one afterword and I will probably sell it cheap enough for someone to get a discount off retail.  That's another thread.

I was curious if anyone used the apps that were available on the Gen 1 through the Saavy link or whatever that was and if it was just not worth bothering.

I never tried the apps but I also have a gen 1 and honestly, I find almost all cops in NJ leave the radar on all the time and still use the KA band. The unit works amazingly well and I have never sent it in for firmware updates. For PA only state cops and county sherries are allowed by law to use radar so I don’t have to worry about speed traps at the local level :D

I’d like to check out a Gen 2 to see what it offers.

28 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I never tried the apps but I also have a gen 1 and honestly, I find almost all cops in NJ leave the radar on all the time and still use the KA band. The unit works amazingly well and I have never sent it in for firmware updates. For PA only state cops and county sherries are allowed by law to use radar so I don’t have to worry about speed traps at the local level :D

I’d like to check out a Gen 2 to see what it offers.

I sent mine in a couple years back due to all the falsing from collision sensors on current vehicles.  It quieted it down significantly.

Apparently with JVB1(android), you can get control over everything and it can overlay right onto waze.   That's frickin awesome!

It will even turn on/off bands based on the state you're in.

Like you, I see no cop running anything but constant on KA in NJ except once I got a laser alert on the turnpike and it was real as I could see the guy with the gun.  

It arrives Monday, so I'll get back to this thread once I have some more information.

v1.jpg

I ran a gen 1 in my car from 2005 through 2012.. 

I probably picked up 4 speeding tickets using it.. 

While it saved my ass plenty of times, the local cops flip KA on off around here, and state troopers use a lot of laser on rt 80 pkw tpk. Im very vigilant, and these all happened at night.

Since getting a false reading almost every other mile, and not being able to program them out enough, I just stopped speeding and ditched the radar in general. I actually stopped getting tickets... go figure lol

If i was gonna spend the money again, I would get a K40..

Just now, JackDaWack said:

I ran a gen 1 in my car from 2005 through 2012.. 

I probably picked up 4 speeding tickets using it.. 

While it saved my ass plenty of times, the local cops flip KA on off around here, and state troopers use a lot of laser on rt 80 pkw tpk. Im very vigilant, and these all happened at night.

Since getting a false reading almost every other mile, and not being able to program them out enough, I just stopped speeding and ditched the radar in general. I actually stopped getting tickets... go figure lol

If i was gonna spend the money again, I would get a K40..

After I upgraded to the latest firmware it stopped 99% of the falsing.   I turned of X and K since it's not in use in NJ. 

With Waze and the V1, it's hard to catch me.    I have not had a speeding ticket since 1995 but I also have finely honed radar cop instincts ;).   You can usually tell where they will hide by the terrain.  Curves with long straightaways ahead where they can sit and use the rear gun and ping you as you appear.  Gives them a nice long run out to catch you.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

After I upgraded to the latest firmware it stopped 99% of the falsing.   I turned of X and K since it's not in use in NJ. 

With Waze and the V1, it's hard to catch me.    I have not had a speeding ticket since 1995 but I also have finely honed radar cop instincts ;).   You can usually tell where they will hide by the terrain.  Curves with long straightaways ahead where they can sit and use the rear gun and ping you as you appear.  Gives them a nice long run out to catch you.

I know what ya mean!

Unfortunately, most of these stop were from cops just driving around and not stationary.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

I will take your gen 1 when you want to sell.

The new one arrives Monday.  I'll run it for a few days just to make sure it's solid.  I want this new one for my trip to FL. 

It's still works great and was the latest or close to the latest firmware with junk fighter and all that.   I'll let you know.

ok.  Last one I had was in 1987 and someone broke in the car and stole it plus about 47 cents in spare change.  Since then, I set the cruise for 55 and stay in the left lane at all times.  :p  Other drivers are always waving to me.  I guess they like my truck.

• Disagree 1

If you haven't used JBV1, I highly recommend it.  Been using it with my V1 gen 1 ever since it came out.  It is also integrated with Waze now so you will get Waze alerts.  It does take some time to learn, but once you do and set up custom sweeps, it is much less chatty and quiets things down tremendously.

Just now, cnk said:

If you haven't used JBV1, I highly recommend it.  Been using it with my V1 gen 1 ever since it came out.  It is also integrated with Waze now so you will get Waze alerts.  It does take some time to learn, but once you do and set up custom sweeps, it is much less chatty and quiets things down tremendously.

The picture above is JBV1 log this AM with the Gen2.

It is a little confusing but I'm working through it.

6 minutes ago, Malsua said:

The picture above is JBV1 log this AM with the Gen2.

It is a little confusing but I'm working through it.

There is a ton of information on rdrforums.org.  Vortex Radar on Youtube also has some tutorials.  The nice thing about JBV1 is that it's updated much more frequently than Yav1.  I used Yav1 for a while and like JBV1 much better.  There is a thread on rdrforums that has recommended sweep settings for different locations.  Last time I checked, believe they had about 5 for NJ.  If you plan on traveling, you can pull up all the recommended settings for each state and just save them as different profiles and upload them for each state you're driving through.

1 hour ago, cnk said:

There is a ton of information on rdrforums.org.  Vortex Radar on Youtube also has some tutorials.  The nice thing about JBV1 is that it's updated much more frequently than Yav1.  I used Yav1 for a while and like JBV1 much better.  There is a thread on rdrforums that has recommended sweep settings for different locations.  Last time I checked, believe they had about 5 for NJ.  If you plan on traveling, you can pull up all the recommended settings for each state and just save them as different profiles and upload them for each state you're driving through.

I've been a member of RDforum since 2012 but I hadn't really bothered with SAAVY and whatever connection was for the V1G1.   Now that it's bluetooth direct, it's much better. That said, there is a fairly steep learning curve to JBV1 and I am familiar with most of the terminology!   I guess with great power comes great responsibility. 

6 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I've been a member of RDforum since 2012 but I hadn't really bothered with SAAVY and whatever connection was for the V1G1.   Now that it's bluetooth direct, it's much better. That said, there is a fairly steep learning curve to JBV1 and I am familiar with most of the terminology!   I guess with great power comes great responsibility. 

I never used Savvy.  Just used a V1C for BT connectivity.  The only good thing is that once you learn JBV1, you can try out YAV1 if you want as the main configuration items are the same.  The most critical are the sweeps.  Everything else is convenience.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:45 AM, AlDente67 said:

I will take your gen 1 when you want to sell.

You still interested?

I used the V1 Gen2 on the trip to Florida and have been _VERY_ pleased with it.   It is exceptionally quiet and the USB function has been perfect.  I normally don't fire up JBV1 but it's nice to use it for tweaking settings.

I won't say the V1 saved me on my 2500 mile round trip with 100% certainty, but I believe it certainly got me slowed down 3 times in ambush style setups.  The Ka range on this new one is insane. 

A New V1G2 is $499.00.

Using a trade in, you can get it for $389.00.  They just opened up trade-ins in the past week.  

I could sell this thing on Ebay  for $150-200 but then I'm dealing with the unknown and 13% in fees.

I'll sell it to you for $100 shipped since you're a gun guy.  The Gen1 is still a good device, it's just not as good as the Gen2.

If you decide to upgrade it, you're saving $10.00.   If not, you can turn around and sell it on Ebay for more than you bought it for.

I can do paypal, free shipping or you can pick it up.    I'm good for it.  Enough people here know where I live :)

43 minutes ago, Malsua said:

You still interested?

I used the V1 Gen2 on the trip to Florida and have been _VERY_ pleased with it.   It is exceptionally quiet and the USB function has been perfect.  I normally don't fire up JBV1 but it's nice to use it for tweaking settings.

I won't say the V1 saved me on my 2500 mile round trip with 100% certainty, but I believe it certainly got me slowed down 3 times in ambush style setups.  The Ka range on this new one is insane. 

A New V1G2 is $499.00.

Using a trade in, you can get it for $389.00.  They just opened up trade-ins in the past week.  

I could sell this thing on Ebay  for $150-200 but then I'm dealing with the unknown and 13% in fees.

I'll sell it to you for $100 shipped since you're a gun guy.  The Gen1 is still a good device, it's just not as good as the Gen2.

If you decide to upgrade it, you're saving $10.00.   If not, you can turn around and sell it on Ebay for more than you bought it for.

I can do paypal, free shipping or you can pick it up.    I'm good for it.  Enough people here know where I live :)

If he doesn't take it, I will :)

4 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If he doesn't take it, I will :)

He did ask first, but I'll ship to you just as easy if he doesn't want it.

The only small issue is that the coily cord is loose from the insulation right at the plug.  It doesn't affect anything though.  You can just see the underlying wires.   Works fine and has been that way for a couple years so I didn't bother getting a new cord.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:47 PM, djg0770 said:

You're going the wrong way around the plan man...

How so?  Are you saying Mal will attempt a home invasion?  I left my Deere tractor out front with the key in it.  He will approach, see the tractor, then attempt to cut the front lawn.  Nobody can resist.

20 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

How so?  Are you saying Mal will attempt a home invasion?  I left my Deere tractor out front with the key in it.  He will approach, see the tractor, then attempt to cut the front lawn.  Nobody can resist.

I think he meant around the planet, but you're right.  I'm a huge tool fanatic, my eyes start to twitch when I see a ZTR  lawn tractor or an old John Deere B(my family had one when I was growing up). 

• Like 1

I run waze once in a while, i dont speed in my work truck and i am  not in my personnel vehicle too often if i run the parkway i just use waze. when im in my work truck i find myself turning on waze to mark sitting police and i will leave the app on after that until my next destination.

only thing I want to know on the Gen2 is, the bluetooth connectivity:  I run Waze and Pandora on my phone, and stream it to the car stereo via bluetooth.  can I connect the Gen2 as well, and have the alerts come through the stereo, maybe even mute the music? Same as Waze does? And have the visual alerts pop up on the phone? that way i can run the Gen2 dark, like I do with my Gen1 and the remote display.

29 minutes ago, Sota said:

only thing I want to know on the Gen2 is, the bluetooth connectivity:  I run Waze and Pandora on my phone, and stream it to the car stereo via bluetooth.  can I connect the Gen2 as well, and have the alerts come through the stereo, maybe even mute the music? Same as Waze does? And have the visual alerts pop up on the phone? that way i can run the Gen2 dark, like I do with my Gen1 and the remote display.

I do the same thing.   I run podcast addict to the car via bluetooth running Waze as well.  Then Connect to the G2.

The alerts will layer on Waze.   Using JBV1, you get "Ka band ahead" through the speakers after it stopped the podcast.

oh nice.  almost looks like I'd be better off getting the BT adapter for my V1G1 at this point then.

I figured out a thing where I can conveniently set my phone in front of the gauge cluster in the wife's car, see the gauges and the display for waze and everything else, without it looking like a fucking cop car on my dash. :D