manimgoindown

Rifle 125 class coming up revers riders

don't have an FID even yet but will get a loaner for the day of

my question is , ibought a sling, what can I buy in store or easily online (i'm more reticent to order online as I live in Hudson County where the cops don't mind stepping out of bound) for the Ruger 10 22 I will be loaned (ie a Magpul stock) to practice 1) my sling setup and tension on 2) possibly aim or pulling back the slide on? 3) are rotating magazines going to work on auto loading and normal bolt action guns?

48 minutes ago, Ryu said:

buy an airsoft gun?

some say its illegal without an FID others say its allowed?

What about optics, can I buy a ruger 10 22 airsoft and then buy a regular 10 22 optic for it?

Would it be alarming to a gun store if i called and asked if they would sell me a 10 22 without the reciver or parts that make it an FID requirement? (cost effective for me in the long run)

1 minute ago, Ryu said:

You can probably buy a plain stock online somewhere.  I see plenty of ruger 10/22 stocks floating around.

Patient is a virtue.  Just wait.

how about just ordering the magpul, can I to NJ? Is its pistol grip /takedown with other features considered a ban? I think this makes the most sense...as when I do get the FID and buy a 10 22 I would probably replace it anyways. Googlign doesn't show anything in stock in NJtho so I'd order over the  intenret 

3 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Yes you can order any stock you like — its a piece of plastic

Also WHO is liable lets say if it is not legal, the vendor or me the reciver?

How would that play out with my local PD (would they raid my house, knock on my door, have me come down to the station, feds)? I know it seems crazy to ask, but better safe than sorry

I plan on ordering the magpul stock , can someone verify its good for NJ?

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Hunter-Stock-Ruger-Olive/dp/B00YXZGNAO/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=magpul+stock+10+22&qid=1591463907&sr=8-4

3 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Sounds like you need to hear it straight from the state police — give them a call

actually the source of confusion was whether the barrel came with the gun, whether it was serialized etc...this is JUST the rubber stock which is PERFECt. ordered

So from what I understand other than buying the gun whole/receiver at an FFL you can pretty much, even without an FID, buy all the gun parts that make a gun in NJ

What a bizarre state when it comes to gun laws. PA's statute is easily readable

I have a 10/22 stock I used to dry fire practice with for Appleseed.  

You can buy a practice/demo trigger for it and lay an inexpensive laser pointer along where the barrel is supposed to go to practice your NPOA and trigger control against a scaled down target square.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143357126291

10 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

I have a 10/22 stock I used to dry fire practice with for Appleseed.  

You can buy a practice/demo trigger for it and lay an inexpensive laser pointer along where the barrel is supposed to go to practice your NPOA and trigger control against a scaled down target square.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143357126291

$35 for plastic. lol

Why not just buy a real trigger?

1 hour ago, manimgoindown said:

$35 for plastic. lol

Why not just buy a real trigger?

By all means son, go for it.  Go get it.  Get yo FID.

Word of advice.  Gun ownership can end up being largely about the accumulation of things and spending $$.  I used to say “$XX for a piece of plastic/metal?” all the time (especially anything sight/optics/H&K related).

Sky is the limit for tricking out a 10/22.  Tech Sights, Auto Bolt Release, buffer, Volquartsen/Kidd, sling hardware, etc. 

17 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

By all means son, go for it.  Go get it.  Get yo FID.

Word of advice.  Gun ownership can end up being largely about the accumulation of things and spending $$.  I used to say “$XX for a piece of plastic/metal?” all the time (especially anything sight/optics/H&K related).

Sky is the limit for tricking out a 10/22.  Tech Sights, Auto Bolt Release, buffer, Volquartsen/Kidd, sling hardware, etc. 

can i buy a trigger like the bx 22 without an FID? That is a good idea with the laser point

Basically my dry firing would look like this pre FID:

magpul stock+laser optic+bx 22 trigger. It would be money well spent as these are components for the 10 22 post FID?

1 hour ago, Ryu said:

might as well let you in the fun. 

go on reddit.com and join the subreddit /r/GunAccessoriesForSale.

pretty cool anything to be aware of when buying/selling second hand? Same rules for us as for most dealers? Buy sell magpul stock or barrel, everything but the receiver okay between two parties? Where do certificates of x (forgot here) come into play?

53 minutes ago, manimgoindown said:

pretty cool anything to be aware of when buying/selling second hand? Same rules for us as for most dealers? Buy sell magpul stock or barrel, everything but the receiver okay between two parties? Where do certificates of x (forgot here) come into play?

they only sell accessories/parts here.  nothing considered gun/firearm/rifle/shotgun.  thats against the rules.  

On 6/7/2020 at 12:23 PM, manimgoindown said:

can i buy a trigger like the bx 22 without an FID? That is a good idea with the laser point

Basically my dry firing would look like this pre FID:

magpul stock+laser optic+bx 22 trigger. It would be money well spent as these are components for the 10 22 post FID?

Yes, you can buy the BX22 trigger.  The only part you cannot buy is the receiver (the metal part with a stamped serial number) without an FID  Unfortunately, the BX22 trigger group attaches to the 10/22 receiver (through pins like below) and installs onto the 10/22 stock.   Not sure if the Trigger group will hold into place by itself on a stock.  Good luck.

1E53C5F1-8693-45E9-B80C-FADB01B16C6E.jpeg

So let's say I install everything but the trigger group and receiver, I then get my FID, if I want to complete my gun how do I do it? Have the receiver shipped to the FFL. And then THEY put it together? Or can I? 

What's the difference to that with an 80% lower then, someone who is a gunsmith drills a hole to complete a receiver? But normal non manufacturing licensed people shouldn't do it?

Basically I want to avoid being a manufacturer and its not clear what makes that distinction

7 hours ago, manimgoindown said:

So let's say I install everything but the trigger group and receiver, I then get my FID, if I want to complete my gun how do I do it? Have the receiver shipped to the FFL. And then THEY put it together? Or can I? 

What's the difference to that with an 80% lower then, someone who is a gunsmith drills a hole to complete a receiver? But normal non manufacturing licensed people shouldn't do it?

Basically I want to avoid being a manufacturer and its not clear what makes that distinction

My suggestion is to just go through the process of getting an FID and purchasing a plain vanilla Ruger 10/22 from a local dealer and go from there.  Also, talk with the guys at the class for their opinion.  Good luck.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, manimgoindown said:

I plan on doing that, it's just interesting to learn the law. Taking the time to learn about NJ gun laws has really opened my eyes. They are doing this community wrong. A real injustice, and I mean it. Not a government for the people

Hopefully you remember that at every election and vote accordingly