Underdog

AC Window Units

My parents have AC window units that are no longer cold.  I am buying them new ones, but, is there somewhere that will take the old units, free, and repair, etc. OR are they just candidates for the dump?

Probably developed a leak and the refrigerant is low or gone. Not worth it to repair unless you can do it yourself and have a refrigerant licenses and the proper tools. Check to make sure the filter and coil is not clogged with dust. 

Probably right.  set them out for a picker to decide.  They can recycle the good bits and make a few bucks.  better than tossing into a landfill.  I have seen guys take tossed microwave ovens and tear them apart to sell the metal goodies.  Actually a good way to make 100 bucks, but you have to know what you are doing.

@Underdog I took my old window unit to Beacon Scrap Yard & got PAID MONEY FOR IT!  They're in Freehold & So. Amboy.  

Put at the curb & some towns FINE you for improper recycling...

Good luck!

Rosey

The state has a program but don’t think if your wall-shaker units qualify.  I think it’s a joint venture between them and the utility company. Our refrigerator took a shit before the Covid thing and I had a date for them to pick it up but the virus lock-downs ended that. We would have received a refund from the recycle program. Also new Energy Star new appliances get rebates so this may not help now but could get you (or your parents) lunch money later.

https://njcleanenergy.com/recycling

I ended up calling our township for the refrigerator removal but the junk guy beat them to it so ended up calling the township back advising them not to come out. Your town or local gov may have something similar

Thanks.  Someone has already picked them up.  Not my problem anymore.