Frogskins

Best place to purchase paper targets

Apologies if this has already been asked, or if my post is in the wrong section ...

Just like purchasing ammo in advance is usually cheaper then buying it at the range, I'm going to guess that the same applies to targets.

Where is the best place to purchase your paper targets online?

Also, is there a "standard size" used at indoor ranges that I should look for?

Thanks in advance ...

Speedwell Targets, Rt. 12 in Kingwood, NJ (west of the Flemington circle).  Tell Robert Rosey sent you!

Paper targets in a YUGE warehouse.  Walk-thru & point to whatcha want.  USPSA & IDPA cardboard.  Steel static & knockdown targets.  Dirty Bird "Splat" type targets.  They ship all over & have an extensive online store.  I shop there in-person and save the S&H.

https://www.speedwelltargets.com   An official sponsor of the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO).

Rosey, VP

https://www.cnjfo.com/News for the latest 2A news & views

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

33 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Speedwell Targets, Rt. 12 in Kingwood, NJ (west of the Flemington circle).  Tell Robert Rosey sent you!

Paper targets in a YUGE warehouse.  Walk-thru & point to whatcha want.  USPSA & IDPA cardboard.  Steel static & knockdown targets.  Dirty Bird "Splat" type targets.  They ship all over & have an extensive online store.  I shop there in-person and save the S&H.

https://www.speedwelltargets.com   An official sponsor of the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO).

Rosey, VP

https://www.cnjfo.com/News for the latest 2A news & views

Thanks for the quick reply.  Will definitely check them out in person ...

9 hours ago, Frogskins said:

Apologies if this has already been asked, or if my post is in the wrong section ...

Just like purchasing ammo in advance is usually cheaper then buying it at the range, I'm going to guess that the same applies to targets.

Where is the best place to purchase your paper targets online?

Also, is there a "standard size" used at indoor ranges that I should look for?

Thanks in advance ...

Target size is a preference, that said, I usually use 6 to 8 inch splatterburst sticky targets for pistols at 10-25 yards and 12-16 for longer distances with rifles at 100-300.  At 300, I'll often put one huge target, typically stapled, as the huge sticky ones cost too much.

I buy them when I see 'em at stores or just order a pile from Amazon.

• Like 1

http://mytargets.com/

Pick one ya like and print out all you need.

My shooting buddy and I used to make our own splatter targets but it became more work then I wanted to do. I find a sheet of white paper gets a nice black hole in it that's easy to see. For rifle I use those 2"sticky red dots you get on a roll or in sheets I use on anything I can find to stick a few on. A pizza box works well. Something a range officer told me seemed to work for me.

"To shoot small, aim small"

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

http://mytargets.com/

Pick one ya like and print out all you need.

My shooting buddy and I used to make our own splatter targets but it became more work then I wanted to do. I find a sheet of white paper gets a nice black hole in it that's easy to see. For rifle I use those 2"sticky red dots you get on a roll or in sheets I use on anything I can find to stick a few on. A pizza box works well. Something a range officer told me seemed to work for me.

"To shoot small, aim small"

I use paper plates because I can put them up with one staple and the corners won't blow in the wind

• Like 1

- For torso sized targets I got a big roll of bulletin board paper from a craft store (actually my wife got it for her classroom at school) and I use a cardboard IDPA target as a template and trace the outline with a marker. It costs me pennies (if that) for each target.

- For regular indoor pistol practice I use 8 1/2 x 11 paper sheets that I get from the recycle bin at the office.  Large company that produces LOTS of extra copies, so I have a stack about 2 feet high in my reloading room.  Otherwise you can go to Staples and buy the cheap printer paper.  I use 3M sheetrock corner adhesive and glue the sheets to a cardboard backer, and then I use a marker to make whatever target picture I want, or I use yellow Post-it-Notes.  I then spray and paste a new sheet right on top of the old one, so I have fresh targets with almost every magazine change.

I got the idea from this guy -

- For rifle I use a combination of home-made paper targets (from the bulletin board roll) and shoot-n-see sticky targets.

• Informative 1

I print my own targets I design myself.  Some are based off competition targets I have seen, others are simply ones I think might be fun to shoot at.

If printing your own, i suggest buying some heavier paper. 20lb paper tends to tear more, while 28-32lb paper will tend to give you clean holes with little to no tearing. Look online, because staples is a ripoff for heavy papers. Just be careful of designs with lots of dark/colored areas which will waste ink/toner, and likely make your hits hard to see anyway.

I am currently trying to figure out a rimfire "competition" for a few friends where we can have fun with multiple targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards, for people with different skill levels.

I also get glow shot targets off amazon, knockoff dirty bird targets which work well enough and are significantly less expensive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

I print my own targets I design myself.  Some are based off competition targets I have seen, others are simply ones I think might be fun to shoot at.

If printing your own, i suggest buying some heavier paper. 20lb paper tends to tear more, while 28-32lb paper will tend to give you clean holes with little to no tearing. Look online, because staples is a ripoff for heavy papers. Just be careful of designs with lots of dark/colored areas which will waste ink/toner, and likely make your hits hard to see anyway.

I am currently trying to figure out a rimfire "competition" for a few friends where we can have fun with multiple targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards, for people with different skill levels.

I also get glow shot targets off amazon, knockoff dirty bird targets which work well enough and are significantly less expensive.

For rimfire I use this one with the kids when we go to the range:

22targ6x580.gif

https://accurateshooter.net/pix/22targknowlimits.pdf

You can handicap it for shooting skill by changing the point value for different shooters, and/or only allowing better shooters to go for the small targets.

It says 50 yard prone, but you can set it at any distance (obviously)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 124gr9mm said:

For rimfire I use this one with the kids when we go to the range:

22targ6x580.gif

https://accurateshooter.net/pix/22targknowlimits.pdf

You can handicap it for shooting skill by changing the point value for different shooters, and/or only allowing better shooters to go for the small targets.

I have a KYL target for 50yd in my competition, though significantly more forgiving than that 40 pointer.

While one friend and I shoot $11/box ammo almost exclusively, i have yet to convince some others I'd bring out to go for accurate ammo costing less than half that.

• Like 1

http://www.malice4you.com/images/realsteel/mostlyprecisiontargets.pdf

30 targets, about 30MB

These are some random targets I've made up - most of em are designed for .22s at 25/50/100, but maybe you'll find something you like and want to use.

One note, when printing, do not scale them (or fit to page), print everything at 100% or all measurements listed will be wrong.  I leave 1/4" gutter so most printers shouldnt cut much if anything off.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1