Cheflife15

Shipping pistol to gunsmith

Im shipping my cz 75 to cajun gunworks for a pro package upgrade. Is there any benefit of shipping through an ffl? 

Cajun advises 

Ship your firearm on a 2 day standard air service, DO NOT USE FEDEX or UPS GROUND SERVICE; insure it for 
$500.00 or less. As a private party shipper, DO NOT declare a firearm, indicate “machined parts” (which is 
accurate) if asked. Shippers are looking for hazardous materials when they inquire; they are not looking for 
firearms. NO ONE in the firearms industry ships overnight, Fed-Ex and UPS only penalize the private party 
shipper like you! Please note turn-around time is 9 -12 weeks for complete firearms projects."

Is this legal with nj? If it gets lost and i have to go through insurance, do I get penalized for labeling it "machined parts." 

I feel like i should just send it through an ffl and save myself some hassle?

Cost is the main benefit of shipping through an FFL. They can send it using the USPS at a much lower rate than you'll get from UPS or FedEx. Even adding in the FFL's service charge, you are still ahead of the game. If I require a gunsmith, I like to use local people and hand deliver and pick-up. Sorry, I don't know any local smiths that are CZ oriented.

I don't even know where to go for "standard 2 day air service" - do they recommend a shipper?

FedEx and UPS want you to declare it a firearm and use overnight service because they want it in their system for as short a time as possible.

I've bought a lot of guns off the Internet with all of them delivered to my FFL via the USPS. I haven't lost one yet - of course the service wasn't always stellar either.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Cost is the main benefit of shipping through an FFL. They can send it using the USPS at a much lower rate than you'll get from UPS or FedEx. Even adding in the FFL's service charge, you are still ahead of the game. If I require a gunsmith, I like to use local people and hand deliver and pick-up. Sorry, I don't know any local smiths that are CZ oriented.

I don't even know where to go for "standard 2 day air service" - do they recommend a shipper?

FedEx and UPS want you to declare it a firearm and use overnight service because they want it in their system for as short a time as possible.

I've bought a lot of guns off the Internet with all of them delivered to my FFL via the USPS. I haven't lost one yet - of course the service wasn't always stellar either.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yeah id feel safer doing that but no one around here seems to do czs. Plus they warranty their work. 

I dont mind the cost, i just want to make sure it's essentially covered through insurance if shipped through an ffl. I reached out to my ffl so well see, was curious if anyone here had done this before. 

They are giving you bad advice. You must declare it a firearm when you drop it with UPS or FEDEX. There cannot be any indication on the outside of the package that it is a firearm, but declare it, you must.

Also, you have to drop it at a real UPS or FEDEX location. The UPS desk at Staples or your local Kinko is not allowed to accept it.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

They are giving you bad advice. You must declare it a firearm when you drop it with UPS or FEDEX. There cannot be any indication on the outside of the package that it is a firearm, but declare it, you must.

Also, you have to drop it at a real UPS or FEDEX location. The UPS desk at Staples or your local Kinko is not allowed to accept it.

This is what i was thinking also. Im just gunna bring it to an ffl and call it a day. Thank you. 

41 minutes ago, Zabuca said:

Probably a dumb question, but since you already own the firearm you wouldn’t need to get another permit when they ship it back through a FFL, correct? 

I’ve only shipped my slides to them and that was done through regular mail.

Correct

1 hour ago, Zabuca said:

Probably a dumb question, but since you already own the firearm you wouldn’t need to get another permit when they ship it back through a FFL, correct? 

I’ve only shipped my slides to them and that was done through regular mail.

There is no reason the gun cannot be shipped from CGW directly back to the owner. It does not need to be shipped back to an FFL.

21 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

This is what i was thinking also. Im just gunna bring it to an ffl and call it a day. Thank you. 

If you go through an FFL, it will be returned to them and be safe with them until you pick it up.  USPS/FedEx/UPS, could just drop it at your door, and it might be stolen.