Torkk

Kimber 1911 and its oem mags meh

So, I had picked up a Kimber raptor 2, and shes been having FTF issues where the round would get stuck nose up in the chamber. I ordered 2 10 round CM mags and they had the same issue. This was using factory and handloads.

The OEM mag has the CM shooting star on them, so I assume Chip McCormick makes those mags.

I grabbed 2 mags from  LGS by work a Remington and Kimber both have different followers when compared to my CM mags I have.

I have to try it at the range, but just racking rounds through the 2 new mags, not 1 failure. I tried with the mage that came with the Raptor and the 1st round FTF

Are CM mags crap?

Is your problematic ammo round nose? I had a Springfield that would give me issues with anything but round nose - no matter Cobra, Wilson or Springfield mags. 

It went back to Springfield who tried polishing the ramp and tuning the extractor but I’d still get a 3-point jam maybe 1 in 100 rounds. 

I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II and had issues when I first got it when shooting ammo loaded with lead bullets. The lead ammo was out of spec.  It ran in my other 45 ACP guns but hung up with the out of spec ammo. The ammo was too tight to fit in the chamber easily. I ran the ammo through the crimp die in my press and the problems disappeared.  I tried all of the good 1911 mags.  The gun shoot with any mag/ammo combination as long as the ammo is in spec.  

I can also say that the gun became really reliable after a few hundred rounds.  It hasn't hiccuped at all.

I recently picked up 1 Remington 7 round and Kimber blued 7 round with the dimple on the follower. Those worked well initially with my SWC handloads, and the my OEM kimber CM mag failed.

It was weird, the rounds that failed to load ended up chambering fine and firing later in my range session.

I ran 100 rounds of factory and 1 think around 30 rounds of handloads, and what failed at  1 point fed well at a later point.

I did remove some tension from the extractor, and noticed no abrasions on the rims of the casings after firing. I thin the tension was too high before, I just have to get more range time with her.

I'll be loading some FMJ RN later this week and check those, but I'll be trimming to spec and yadda yaddda

9 minutes ago, Torkk said:

I recently picked up 1 Remington 7 round and Kimber blued 7 round with the dimple on the follower. Those worked well initially with my SWC handloads, and the my OEM kimber CM mag failed.

It was weird, the rounds that failed to load ended up chambering fine and firing later in my range session.

I ran 100 rounds of factory and 1 think around 30 rounds of handloads, and what failed at  1 point fed well at a later point.

I did remove some tension from the extractor, and noticed no abrasions on the rims of the casings after firing. I thin the tension was too high before, I just have to get more range time with her.

I'll be loading some FMJ RN later this week and check those, but I'll be trimming to spec and yadda yaddda

My Kimber (Stainless Pro Raptor II) does have a chamber that is a bit tighter than all of my other 45ACP's.  The ammo I had to re-crimp all passed the Lyman ammo checker test and was still too tight for the Kimber chamber. I haven't had an issue since I adjusted the taper crimp die setting. It was very frustrating until I figured it out.