Well, just an update. I submitted my application about a week ago, waiting for BATFE to cash the check and schedule a visit. I hold a different license/permit through BATFE, so I deal with IO’s occasionally and called one who confirmed you can have a C&R in NJ. No direct shipment, and according to her NJ COE is needed for each gun. This is going off memory and I could be wrong as I spoke to her a week or two ago. I will find out more and update everyone on the process. 

I will say that my interactions with BATFE have always been very professional. Especially the IOI’s. 

• Like 1

I got mine in NJ... transferred to ME when I moved up here. If you look up C&R threads started by capt14k, you’ll see one or two I posted in regarding my application process.

You still can’t have anything shipped to your place (ATF will have you sign a letter that says as much, and give you a copy). If you find someone else with a C&R, you can do private sales with them without an FFL... pistol permit or CoE applied (it would be in both of your books). The new CoE is on the NJSP website... or at least should be. Any other private sale, goes through an FFL.

Now, I saw your original post... and didn’t reply for this reason. Looking at the law, as well as Federal legislation relating to the FFL-03 (C&R), I feel that if you are out of state and not doing a transaction with a NJ entity... you are good to go judging all state laws are followed (magazine capacity and AWB considerations). When I was there, I bought a Colt Vest Pocket, Colt 1917, and S&W Victory revolver, from the Oaks gun show. Would have got a CZ-52... but the seller was arguing with me about it being legal (he wanted me to make the older guy who sold me the 1917 leave his table and walk across the show to ask him questions; I said it wasn’t worth the hassle, but any seller does not have to recognize your license... completely their discretion). When I came up to ME for the two weeks prior to the academy, I also bought a S&W M&P revolver (1918 production) from a local shop... again off the C&R. I posted it on S&W Forum, and got told how I illegally purchased it from a member residing in NJ. Said he got jammed up for it, but would not quote the section of law where NJ limits legal firearm purchases outside of NJ.

That all being said, I still don’t see out of state purchases being an issue... as long as you aren’t circumventing NJ law (meeting an NJ resident in PA to transfer a C&R... whereas it “should” have gone through an NJ FFL; or firearm restrictions that would jam you up, like bringing back an M1 Carbine). NJ pistol permits state they are only for use within NJ, and last time I checked... NJ’s 2C:39 (and whatever the 50s section is related to sales; maybe 54) stop at the Delaware, Hudson, and NY land border. A legally purchased pistol, complying with NJ firearms law, is not considered illegal when someone moves into NJ, nor is there any requirements for registration/permits. Shy of that, I doubt any changes to NJ law has popped up in the last year related to a “C&R loophole.”

I personally browse the forum periodically, and have no issue discussing NJ law regarding C&Rs... but I sure as hell won’t be getting into arguments over it (blanket statement... not directed at anyone). Have more important things to do than argue law over a state that I was completely happy to leave.

For the C&R, it isn’t a bad thing to have. Discounts from Brownell’s and other places make it worth it... even though I haven’t seen if Brownell’s still is doing it (haven’t logged in to check prices). Up here, I had the poster boy of NJ’s AWB sent directly to my house; M1 Carbine. Got a non-import marked Manurhin PP. Century had dirt cheap Enfield muskets, which I’m going to take the three I picked up and piece together one to rechamber to 3” .410.

But I also finished my small collection of guns that spoke to my appreciation of history; Carcano M38, S&W Victory, Colt Cobra (shrouded), and an Iver Johnson Cadet in .22 LR. Conspiracy theories aside, examples of all the guns directly related to both Kennedy assassinations. Might be a bit grim, but it definitely gives you a different perspective when you can pick up a gun just like whatever person used and fire it. Oswald’s Carcano... I never knew of the ability to view the irons with the optic installed. Under 100 yards, makes the story a little clearer than an History Channel documentary.

Best of luck with your application. While you might be expecting a meeting with ATF, need to remember about COVID. They might be holding off on interviews due to that.

17 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I got mine in NJ... transferred to ME when I moved up here. If you look up C&R threads started by capt14k, you’ll see one or two I posted in regarding my application process.

You still can’t have anything shipped to your place (ATF will have you sign a letter that says as much, and give you a copy). If you find someone else with a C&R, you can do private sales with them without an FFL... pistol permit or CoE applied (it would be in both of your books). The new CoE is on the NJSP website... or at least should be. Any other private sale, goes through an FFL.

Now, I saw your original post... and didn’t reply for this reason. Looking at the law, as well as Federal legislation relating to the FFL-03 (C&R), I feel that if you are out of state and not doing a transaction with a NJ entity... you are good to go judging all state laws are followed (magazine capacity and AWB considerations). When I was there, I bought a Colt Vest Pocket, Colt 1917, and S&W Victory revolver, from the Oaks gun show. Would have got a CZ-52... but the seller was arguing with me about it being legal (he wanted me to make the older guy who sold me the 1917 leave his table and walk across the show to ask him questions; I said it wasn’t worth the hassle, but any seller does not have to recognize your license... completely their discretion). When I came up to ME for the two weeks prior to the academy, I also bought a S&W M&P revolver (1918 production) from a local shop... again off the C&R. I posted it on S&W Forum, and got told how I illegally purchased it from a member residing in NJ. Said he got jammed up for it, but would not quote the section of law where NJ limits legal firearm purchases outside of NJ.

That all being said, I still don’t see out of state purchases being an issue... as long as you aren’t circumventing NJ law (meeting an NJ resident in PA to transfer a C&R... whereas it “should” have gone through an NJ FFL; or firearm restrictions that would jam you up, like bringing back an M1 Carbine). NJ pistol permits state they are only for use within NJ, and last time I checked... NJ’s 2C:39 (and whatever the 50s section is related to sales; maybe 54) stop at the Delaware, Hudson, and NY land border. A legally purchased pistol, complying with NJ firearms law, is not considered illegal when someone moves into NJ, nor is there any requirements for registration/permits. Shy of that, I doubt any changes to NJ law has popped up in the last year related to a “C&R loophole.”

I personally browse the forum periodically, and have no issue discussing NJ law regarding C&Rs... but I sure as hell won’t be getting into arguments over it (blanket statement... not directed at anyone). Have more important things to do than argue law over a state that I was completely happy to leave.

For the C&R, it isn’t a bad thing to have. Discounts from Brownell’s and other places make it worth it... even though I haven’t seen if Brownell’s still is doing it (haven’t logged in to check prices). Up here, I had the poster boy of NJ’s AWB sent directly to my house; M1 Carbine. Got a non-import marked Manurhin PP. Century had dirt cheap Enfield muskets, which I’m going to take the three I picked up and piece together one to rechamber to 3” .410.

But I also finished my small collection of guns that spoke to my appreciation of history; Carcano M38, S&W Victory, Colt Cobra (shrouded), and an Iver Johnson Cadet in .22 LR. Conspiracy theories aside, examples of all the guns directly related to both Kennedy assassinations. Might be a bit grim, but it definitely gives you a different perspective when you can pick up a gun just like whatever person used and fire it. Oswald’s Carcano... I never knew of the ability to view the irons with the optic installed. Under 100 yards, makes the story a little clearer than an History Channel documentary.

Best of luck with your application. While you might be expecting a meeting with ATF, need to remember about COVID. They might be holding off on interviews due to that.

Thank you for the reply and wealth of information. I was thinking the same thing, go to a few PA shows and buy the C&R pistols and rifles I want for my collection. You’re right, the N.J. pistol permit isn’t valid out of state, and if the pistol is C&R eligible and the sale is between a dealer or individual who decides to honor the C&R License, you are in compliance with federal law AFAIK... and that N.J. paperwork means nothing outside of the republic of New Jersey.

I have a carcano at my florida residence, family heirloom. It actually came from the same distributor and batch that sold the Kennedy rifle. Scope is missing, someday I’ll find it.

I deal with the FEL (Federal Explosives License) aspect of the ATF.. so I’ve been through interviews before. ATF already has my prints and photos, I’m not hiding from the men in black.. 

Here’s a quick update. ATF called today and the investigator I spoke with was very helpful. I was informed that part of the C&R process involves them notifying the New Jersey State Police. Also, you are not allowed to purchase C&R Firearms out of state with the C&R License as a N.J. resident. NICS/NJ paperwork is required. According to him, you stand to gain little to nothing with a C&R License, it does not supersede NJ law.

One example that was given by the investigator was purchasing a C&R firearm in PA, I was told that’s not legal.. so the C&R License is basically good for discounts from some vendors, but at the end of the day if you live in NJ ALL C&R firearms must go through a N.J. dealer.

Just putting this out there, what you decide to do is up to you. I’m still going through the process to obtain one for the discounts alone. 

On 6/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, Screwball said:

Check my update that I just posted..

also, according to the ATF investigator o spoke with earlier on the phone.. you cannot transfer the C&R License, if you move it must be closed out and the process starts over from scratch.

Take it for what it’s worth; every investigator/IOI will have his or her opinion on the matter. 

7 hours ago, NJ870 said:

Check my update that I just posted..

also, according to the ATF investigator o spoke with earlier on the phone.. you cannot transfer the C&R License, if you move it must be closed out and the process starts over from scratch.

Take it for what it’s worth; every investigator/IOI will have his or her opinion on the matter. 

There is a female IOI out of central NJ... who I probably don’t still have her card, but I would have ran it by her. She probably forgot more about Federal firearms regulations than most others know.

She told me interstate purchases are good to go. Hell... that is the point of the FFL-03, so collectors can more easily acquire C&R firearms.

In regards to them letting the NJSP know... ok? When you fill out the application, you are supposed to let the Chief LEO of your locality know by submitting a copy of the application. Howell Township PD got mine,  and Houlton PD got my amendment form (more about that below). Only thing that might have gone to NJSP is the memo I signed that stated I know I cannot have firearms shipped to my home.

For the state law aspect... yes, it is on the application that state law must be followed. As in no magazines over 10 rounds, and no M1 Carbines. But let’s say that “state law” goes into the transfer of firearms... where does it specifically say in 2C that all firearms must go through a NJ dealer? Cabela’s really needs to stop doing that, same with FFLs at gun shows selling long guns to NJ residents. I mean they do NICS... but this “NJ paperwork” isn’t always done (4473 is the only paperwork required). Oh the humanity!

I still love that someone at the Federal level is interpreting NJ law as having coverage in other states. Learned that is a no-go in Intro to CJ. That is definitely a check in the win column for that field office.

And if that guy is telling you that you cannot change the address on a FFL-03... not for nothing, he doesn’t know his ass from his elbow. Changes to FFLs are not done locally, but through WV. How did mine get amended?

download
Why would the form to amend an FFL have FFL-03s listed in three spots; two of them specifying how to fill out said form?

Sad that those are the type of people filling in ATF offices now. Whatever the outcome, sorry to hear what you guys get to deal with. Glad I’m not there.

And in case it comes off like that... not upset with you. Being in Federal L/E, and having to know the specific laws/regulations/codes for my agency... I also have to know related laws for a few other agencies; ATF, DOT, EPA, FDA, etc. Our supervisors/FTOs would have an aneurism if we started trying to enforce state laws that conflict with Federal laws (marijuana, for example). I am really disgusted how that guy completely blew smoke up your ass... since he should be able to answer your questions correctly.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

There is a female IOI out of central NJ... who I probably don’t still have her card, but I would have ran it by her. She probably forgot more about Federal firearms regulations than most others know.

She told me interstate purchases are good to go. Hell... that is the point of the FFL-03, so collectors can more easily acquire C&R firearms.

In regards to them letting the NJSP know... ok? When you fill out the application, you are supposed to let the Chief LEO of your locality know by submitting a copy of the application. Howell Township PD got mine,  and Houlton PD got my amendment form (more about that below). Only thing that might have gone to NJSP is the memo I signed that stated I know I cannot have firearms shipped to my home.

For the state law aspect... yes, it is on the application that state law must be followed. As in no magazines over 10 rounds, and no M1 Carbines. But let’s say that “state law” goes into the transfer of firearms... where does it specifically say in 2C that all firearms must go through a NJ dealer? Cabela’s really needs to stop doing that, same with FFLs at gun shows selling long guns to NJ residents. I mean they do NICS... but this “NJ paperwork” isn’t always done (4473 is the only paperwork required). Oh the humanity!

I still love that someone at the Federal level is interpreting NJ law as having coverage in other states. Learned that is a no-go in Intro to CJ. That is definitely a check in the win column for that field office.

And if that guy is telling you that you cannot change the address on a FFL-03... not for nothing, he doesn’t know his ass from his elbow. Changes to FFLs are not done locally, but through WV. How did mine get amended?

download
Why would the form to amend an FFL have FFL-03s listed in three spots; two of them specifying how to fill out said form?

Sad that those are the type of people filling in ATF offices now. Whatever the outcome, sorry to hear what you guys get to deal with. Glad I’m not there.

And in case it comes off like that... not upset with you. Being in Federal L/E, and having to know the specific laws/regulations/codes for my agency... I also have to know related laws for a few other agencies; ATF, DOT, EPA, FDA, etc. Our supervisors/FTOs would have an aneurism if we started trying to enforce state laws that conflict with Federal laws (marijuana, for example). I am really disgusted how that guy completely blew smoke up your ass... since he should be able to answer your questions correctly.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, the investigator I spoke to seemed more interested in deterring me from applying for a C&R. Not going to go into detail in public about what was said, but he seemed adamant on getting me to withdraw the application.

We are supposed to have a phone interview setup soon, and the documents will be sent back and forth via email, as opposed to a in-person visit. 

Not to hijack the thread....but hey Screwball, how is Houlton?  My wife and I toyed with moving there a few years ago.  Spent a few weeks in Island Falls scouting-out the area....we thought it was beautiful; but a bit far from family, and C O L D in the winter...we settled on the Pocono Mts of Pennsyltucky, and other than having an idiot for a Governor, it’s been great. 

3 hours ago, W2MC said:

Not to hijack the thread....but hey Screwball, how is Houlton?  My wife and I toyed with moving there a few years ago.  Spent a few weeks in Island Falls scouting-out the area....we thought it was beautiful; but a bit far from family, and C O L D in the winter...we settled on the Pocono Mts of Pennsyltucky, and other than having an idiot for a Governor, it’s been great. 

I like it, mainly due to work. Cheap to live up here, but excise tax sucks when you have a newer vehicle (I bought my Colorado right before I moved up).

Nothing really up here. There is a Walmart in Houlton... and a Super Walmart about an hour north. PizzaHut, Domino’s, and a McDonald’s... Burger King was sketchy, and closed up a few months back. Some smaller bars/diners (if you do come up, check if Grammy’s is open), but nothing special. Bangor has a decent amount of stuff, but when the border is open... almost more worth it to go to Fredericton (Canada; about an hour verses 90ish minutes to Bangor).

Personally, I’d say look near the coast... around the Bar Harbor area. More pricey, but more stuff to do. My parents are looking to buy a house in Maine, since they are building one in SC... and I told them to look down there. Aroostook County is a dying county. Federal jobs keep Houlton alive.

If the border remains closed, think a lot of Houlton is going to close up for good. Maybe it will change some of the people running the town. Houlton has a few older families that pretty much influence all of the decisions. Wouldn’t do a Super Walmart because people felt it would kill small shops in the downtown. Well... the downtown is dying anyways. 9:00 or so... town closes up. Didn’t believe it until I got off at midnight. Problem is it’s a border town with nothing here. If they allowed outlets or some larger department store... you could likely revitalize Houlton. But nobody wants to stay because there is nothing here.

Seriously... a WaWa type store would own this town.

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

I like it, mainly due to work. Cheap to live up here, but excise tax sucks when you have a newer vehicle (I bought my Colorado right before I moved up).

Nothing really up here. There is a Walmart in Houlton... and a Super Walmart about an hour north. PizzaHut, Domino’s, and a McDonald’s... Burger King was sketchy, and closed up a few months back. Some smaller bars/diners (if you do come up, check if Grammy’s is open), but nothing special. Bangor has a decent amount of stuff, but when the border is open... almost more worth it to go to Fredericton (Canada; about an hour verses 90ish minutes to Bangor).

Personally, I’d say look near the coast... around the Bar Harbor area. More pricey, but more stuff to do. My parents are looking to buy a house in Maine, since they are building one in SC... and I told them to look down there. Aroostook County is a dying county. Federal jobs keep Houlton alive.

If the border remains closed, think a lot of Houlton is going to close up for good. Maybe it will change some of the people running the town. Houlton has a few older families that pretty much influence all of the decisions. Wouldn’t do a Super Walmart because people felt it would kill small shops in the downtown. Well... the downtown is dying anyways. 9:00 or so... town closes up. Didn’t believe it until I got off at midnight. Problem is it’s a border town with nothing here. If they allowed outlets or some larger department store... you could likely revitalize Houlton. But nobody wants to stay because there is nothing here.

Seriously... a WaWa type store would own this town.

interesting.  

My wife and I kinda liked the area up in Aroostook County, but yes; it was definitely the slow lane.  Bar Harbor is probably a better choice, as is the Boothbay area.  Very much enjoyed dinner at Grammy's, as well as several other places in the area. 

We successfully escaped the People's Democratic Socialist Republic of New Jerseystan last year; we are now in Pike County, Pennsylvania.

Well worth the move

• Agree 1

When I got my 03 in 2011, The female came to my job for an interview. Made address change 3 years ago with no issue. Really almost worthless in NJ other than discounts. Makes some transactions easier. Will let it expire next year. For 30.00 for 3 years you can't beat it. Had one call me 2 years ago. stopped in just to BS. Carlo, super nice guy. He was involved with the guy in North  NJ making full auto. The one that went into the local PD. and told them he had a machine shop and was making full auto ARs! HAHA!

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Dave Archibald said:

When I got my 03 in 2011, The female came to my job for an interview. Made address change 3 years ago with no issue. Really almost worthless in NJ other than discounts. Makes some transactions easier. Will let it expire next year. For 30.00 for 3 years you can't beat it. Had one call me 2 years ago. stopped in just to BS. Carlo, super nice guy. He was involved with the guy in North  NJ making full auto. The one that went into the local PD. and told them he had a machine shop and was making full auto ARs! HAHA!

I’ve temporarily withdrawn my application, I’ll be resubmitting it when a MVC issue is resolved. Well worth it for the discounts from three of the suppliers I order ammo and components from. 

Yes, I’ve been in contact with Carlo and he is a stand up guy. I’m sure they have a lot on their plate with all that is going on at the present time.. maybe I misinterpreted him a bit initially, but today he put me in touch with someone from NJSP who answered all of my questions and now I’m 100% clear on NJ’s view of the C&R License. He went above and beyond to get me the answers I needed. 

For anyone wondering, NJSP does officially recognize the C&R License. However, it is intended for 03 to 03 transfers of C&R eligible firearms within the state of N.J. So, if you know another C&R holder in N.J. and would like to purchase a C&R eligible rifle or shotgun (long gun) from him/her, it’s allowed. All other firearms will require the 4473 and NICS check.  I did not ask about handguns, I am not interested in handguns. 

My understanding is that outside of N.J., you can purchase a long gun provided it is N.J. legal and on a 4473 with NJ COE. Apparently, a C&R transaction outside of N.J. would violate N.J. law. This makes sense, NJ law supersedes Federal law. Could someone find a work around? Sure, is it worth testing the waters and ending up in jail? No way. Again, I’m not telling people what to do.

Too funny (The machine gun bit). I’m sure they see some unbelievable things in that line of work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJ870 said:

Apparently, a C&R transaction outside of N.J. would violate N.J. law. This makes sense, NJ law supersedes Federal law. Could someone find a work around?

Best of luck for you NJ guys... might as well ask for some Vaseline.

NJ law cannot be applied outside of NJ. NY land border, Delaware River, Hudson River, and the Atlantic Ocean is where NJ jurisdiction stops. Federal law is what you follow, if the jurisdiction you are in doesn’t have any laws for transferring firearms (like a requirement that you must go through an FFL unless X). If you do something wrong in PA... you deal with their courts. PA law is applied to you. NJSP isn’t filing charges on that side of the river... and if they tried to charge you with something done in PA, it wouldn’t take an Evan Nappen to get you off.

Let’s say you own a house in PA and one in NJ (Seabright, a nice shore home; not a rental) ... PA driver’s license. You buy a Glock 36 (PA’s NICS... I think PICS... and a 4473), which you carry in PA on your carry permit. Going to spend two weeks at your NJ home, and want to stop at GSSC one of the days to practice. You clear your Glock, toss in a lockbox... have a bulk box of .45 FMJ, and drive straight to your place in Seabright. You break a law? Because that logic implies you did. I’ve said it previously, but if you purchase a firearm legally in another state you reside in... and move into NJ... you didn’t do a CoE or pistol permit for those guns. If it’s a private sale, you didn’t even do a 4473.

That being said, I’d love to see the statute that they would use in that case. I guess Grewal’s thought process of unlimited jurisdiction is flowing down to other agencies. Sad to see the NJSP following suit. But hey, at least I don’t have to deal with them anymore.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, NJ870 said:

I’ve temporarily withdrawn my application, I’ll be resubmitting it when a MVC issue is resolved. Well worth it for the discounts from three of the suppliers I order ammo and components from. 

Yes, I’ve been in contact with Carlo and he is a stand up guy. I’m sure they have a lot on their plate with all that is going on at the present time.. maybe I misinterpreted him a bit initially, but today he put me in touch with someone from NJSP who answered all of my questions and now I’m 100% clear on NJ’s view of the C&R License. He went above and beyond to get me the answers I needed. 

For anyone wondering, NJSP does officially recognize the C&R License. However, it is intended for 03 to 03 transfers of C&R eligible firearms within the state of N.J. So, if you know another C&R holder in N.J. and would like to purchase a C&R eligible rifle or shotgun (long gun) from him/her, it’s allowed. All other firearms will require the 4473 and NICS check.  I did not ask about handguns, I am not interested in handguns. 

My understanding is that outside of N.J., you can purchase a long gun provided it is N.J. legal and on a 4473 with NJ COE. Apparently, a C&R transaction outside of N.J. would violate N.J. law. This makes sense, NJ law supersedes Federal law. Could someone find a work around? Sure, is it worth testing the waters and ending up in jail? No way. Again, I’m not telling people what to do.

Too funny (The machine gun bit). I’m sure they see some unbelievable things in that line of work. 

You were lied to or they didn't understand or you misunderstood. NJ law does not apply outside NJ. Dual residents can buy handguns in other states and bring to NJ. ATF agent for NJ told me Face to Face that FFL03 can be used to purchase C&R eligible firearms outside NJ if you are physically present. The only reason firearms can't be shipped to NJ is because of COE which is a NJ requirement. When buying longguns outside NJ that PICS or NICS check is done on no COE is filled out. Using FFL03 to buy longgun or handgun that is C&R eligible outside NJ is perfectly legal.

• Like 1