geekLa

First time visit to Cherry Ridge today

Just thought I'd share this with the community here.

First impressions?  I have to say it was great.  Started with a beautiful drive heading up to the range, a great way to start the morning.  Blue skies and green mountains abound.

Picked up my badge when I got there - the staff was super friendly and helpful.

On all the ranges, the RO's had great communication and provided good guidance.

Noticed lots of new members there like me, as well as long time members that were very friendly.

My friend and I shot a Ruger .22LR Bolt Action on the Multipurpose range.  It's nice not having to worry about bringing out targets for that range.

We also did some target shooting with an AR15 in both 5.56 and .223 (55 and 62 grain), on the 100-yard range.  Went through about 8 clips and called it a day, needed to get home for a meeting.  

• Like 3

I don't belong to Cherry Ridge, but I've been there a couple of times as a guest. It's by far the prettiest range I've been to in NJ. To be there on a nice sunny, blue-sky day, in that bowl-shaped valley, surrounded by all those wooded hills... it's very relaxing indeed! If I lived closer, I'd definitely join. So glad you enjoyed yourself!  :good:

• Like 1

I live 2 miles from Cherry Ridge and have been a member since 2008.  It's quite a bit different these days, all of it good.

Most of the fudds are gone or in hiding.  No more glares when you bring out an AR! 

One of my favorite times to shoot is New Years day.  It's often cold and early morning on Jan 1 tends to keep most people away.  Since I haven't had a drink on New Year Even in decades, I wake up bright and early and have the whole range to myself!

Membership Sundays are to be avoided.  Weekends early or late are best.  Mid-days tend to be busy.

If you can get down during the weeks, it's perfect!

Have fun, see you at the range.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, geekLa said:

We also did some target shooting with an AR15 in both 5.56 and .223 (55 and 62 grain), on the 100-yard range.  Went through about 8 clips and called it a day, needed to get home for a meeting.  

"Clips". Oh boy, now you've done it. The Magazine police will be along shortly to scold you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

That multi purpose/plinking range has really improved over the last 2 years. Lots of targets to shoot at now, lots. It used to just be dirt, grass, and a backstop. 

Here's a video I took shooting at the rimfire range in 2009.  It shows what the range looked like then.

13 hours ago, Malsua said:

I also did another vid in 2010 shows a bit of the other ranges with some guys from here.  Most have moved on though.

Awesome I rented one of those green bags to help sight my AR. 

One thing I did notice that even with "COVID distance" between tables, it was loud. There was a dude with a pretty nice Remington 700  .308 and it went boom quite a bit. My ear muffs are tough on the cheek weld so a few times they weren't on so good and even with backup soft plugs, it was loud.  

Anyone use any specific brand of plugs or muffs that don't sacrifice cheek weld?

15 hours ago, Malsua said:

Here's a video I took shooting at the rimfire range in 2009.  It shows what the range looked like then.

Holy cow! Talk about the dark ages. It’s so much better now. It’s like a carnival plinking gallery. The range did get some donations of targets and Scotty set them up for the community. The Rimfire challenge series they did a couple years ago helped get some interest in improving that range too. Too bad its not running anymore. It was a lot of fun. I participated in a bunch of matches. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 9:00 PM, Malsua said:

I live 2 miles from Cherry Ridge and have been a member since 2008.  It's quite a bit different these days, all of it good.

Most of the fudds are gone or in hiding.  No more glares when you bring out an AR! 

One of my favorite times to shoot is New Years day.  It's often cold and early morning on Jan 1 tends to keep most people away.  Since I haven't had a drink on New Year Even in decades, I wake up bright and early and have the whole range to myself!

Membership Sundays are to be avoided.  Weekends early or late are best.  Mid-days tend to be busy.

If you can get down during the weeks, it's perfect!

Have fun, see you at the range.

I grew up about 2 miles from the range as well, used to ride my bike there.  Some great memories as a kid shooting with my dad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1827 said:

I grew up about 2 miles from the range as well, used to ride my bike there.  Some great memories as a kid shooting with my dad.

Cliffwood Lakes or Highland lakes :), everything else is further away.

15 hours ago, geekLa said:

Awesome I rented one of those green bags to help sight my AR. 

One thing I did notice that even with "COVID distance" between tables, it was loud. There was a dude with a pretty nice Remington 700  .308 and it went boom quite a bit. My ear muffs are tough on the cheek weld so a few times they weren't on so good and even with backup soft plugs, it was loud.  

Anyone use any specific brand of plugs or muffs that don't sacrifice cheek weld?

I only double up with soft plugs indoor, outdoor isn't much of an issue.

I normally use Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs.  They are at least 10 years old and while beat up a bit, still work fine.

If those are too much for your taste, get something that is completely over the ear like a Stanley ear muff from Home Depot.  

53 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Highland lakes on Canistear Rd.

Ah, I'm across the main lake on Lakeside Dr W.  It's a bit more spread out on my side, it's like a rabbit warren over on Canistear side.

21 hours ago, Malsua said:

I only double up with soft plugs indoor, outdoor isn't much of an issue.

I normally use Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs.  They are at least 10 years old and while beat up a bit, still work fine.

If those are too much for your taste, get something that is completely over the ear like a Stanley ear muff from Home Depot.  

Ah, I'm across the main lake on Lakeside Dr W.  It's a bit more spread out on my side, it's like a rabbit warren over on Canistear side.

I was the first house past the Welcome to Highland Lakes sign, for most of my time growing up we were the only house in that area, then one was built next to us but still fairly secluded.

I know Lakeside Dr W very well, fished the big lake all the time growing up.

Awesome, I just came back from Cherry Ridge today.  It was a great first time.  It was pretty calm albeit all the gunshots, but got used to it quick.  Scott at the clubhouse was nice.  Will be back again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nam Le said:

Is there any sight seeing or facility or anything that my wife & daughter can kill time with?

At the range itself, not really. The picnic tables were still closed off as of last week.  If they don’t want to shoot with you, there are some great trails nearby outside of the range lands. 

Check out this trail on AllTrails.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-jersey/cherry-ridge-extended-loop

Note that cell phones don’t work well at all at the range, in my experience at least. 

• Informative 1