Well, boating season is here. Hate to say, but it's cutting into my shooting time. It was a crappy spring and the season started late. Good to get out on the water. Who else is able to put down a gun and get out on the water? I am sailing, kayaking & rowing. Too many boats, not enough time! I have a great canoe for sale in the non-gun  section. I spent more time cleaning it up over the last two years than using it. I would rather it go to someone that will use it than keep cutting the grass around her. Check it out!

Here is a view of northern Barnegat Bay this week.

Sailing Flag.jpg

• Like 3

Not boating related, as I don't have any boats, but I did catch something off the beach at Seaside park.  I thought it was a monster Striper based on the drag.  But is turned out to be a beach towel just stuck along the sand.  When I pulled it in, a bunch of weird clawless black crabs came skittering out.  Very odd.  Some sort of nest there.

7 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Not boating related, as I don't have any boats, but I did catch something off the beach at Seaside park.  I thought it was a monster Striper based on the drag.  But is turned out to be a beach towel just stuck along the sand.  When I pulled it in, a bunch of weird clawless black crabs came skittering out.  Very odd.  Some sort of nest there.

I thought you were gonna say a coney island white fish of the latex subspecies....

I caught one once, cut the line when I identified what it was.

2 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

I yak all year round in pursuit of fish.

Do you have a pedal drive yak? I don't, have this  https://www.ascendkayaks.com/detail.cfm?boatID=4835

but now that im fishing mostly ponds and lakes and doing allot of trolling I'm starting to look at pedal drive more and more. 

I've been fluke fishing Barnegat Bay with Hobie pedal kayak (a buddy if mine has 2). If you are a fisherman these things are great!  The only downside is that when the water is really shallow, you need to kick up the rudder, and if it's windy they are hard to keep on track. Other than that they are great! Expensive, but great. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Do you have a pedal drive yak? I don't, have this  https://www.ascendkayaks.com/detail.cfm?boatID=4835

but now that im fishing mostly ponds and lakes and doing allot of trolling I'm starting to look at pedal drive more and more. 

Did you ever try a float tube for a pond? We used to use them when lake fishing in Wyoming and they worked really well.

54 minutes ago, fishnut said:

No, as I am more comfortable in a sit-in and am a cheap bastard.  I have yaked thousands of miles and like to stick with what I know.

I do have a Hummin' Bird AA battery-powered fish finder that cost more than the used yak.  It's been fun to use to be able to use the right technique.

• Informative 1

21 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Did you ever try a float tube for a pond? We used to use them when lake fishing in Wyoming and they worked really well.

I have one that I use for backcountry ponds but I don't really like how low I sit, I'm actually planning on building an ultra light skin on frame canoe this winter that will be lighter than my float tube and keep me up out of the cold spring water. 

Lately though I've been fishing lakes and larger ponds that have drive up access so weight is not an issue. 

27 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

No, as I am more comfortable in a sit-in and am a cheap bastard.  I have yaked thousands of miles and like to stick with what I know.

I do have a Hummin' Bird AA battery-powered fish finder that cost more than the used yak.  It's been fun to use to be able to use the right technique.

I've been paddling for many years, mostly rivers so I've never even looked at pedal drive but as I troll more now I've been missing setting the hook because I have a paddle in my hand. I already have a small fortune invested in fishing gear and get sticker shock at some of the prices of pedal drive yaks. Im keeping an eye out for a used or damaged one, definatly can't afford a new one any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Check out the 92' Sport Fisherman next time you are at Viking.  Awesome yacht!

Everything Viking makes is awsome! My grandfather had a 46 Bertram but then upgraded to a 57' Viking. The viking cut through the waves so much better than the Bertram. I was spoiled and caught my first sailfish at age 11 off that viking, Man I miss that boat! It was named Crapshooter that was docked at the Beach haven yacht club on LBI during the summers. 

A friend of mine invited me on a white marlin trip years ago on a 52 Viking.  We went out southeast of Manasquan to the Spencer Canyon area...about 120 miles out.  On the way back home he nailed the throttles and it looked like a paved highway behind us.  At about 40 knots,  he said it costs about 2500 bucks in fuel...JUST TO GET HOME!  It was awesome.  Made my 35 footer look like a toy.

Pat Healey stayed good friends with my grandparents and when my grandpa died grandma kept the boat for another 20 year but just down in flordia. Everytime Mr.Healy was at the rivera beach boat yard he would stop in and check on my grandma. I remember him telling me that most boats go over waves and vikings plow through them. Lmfao. 

I would be afraid to be fishing in a mall boat anywhere near Barneget.  I've seen hundreds of incidents around the inlet area of some poor guy in a small low power boat get nearly swamped by some asshole Bennie zipping right next to the small boat.    Plus I would bet a good percentage of them are drunk off their ass.  Very little chance of a patrol boat being around, so they pilot their fast boats like nutjobs.

Not just the inlet area the whole bay is crazy. I used to work at the gas dock at beach haven yacht club during the summer and saw allot of crazy shit. 99% of the time its alcohol and inexperience combined. 

Wow, I used to date a girl whose parents kept their 42 foot sailboat there.  The last name was Wedam.  She and I would go during summer weekdays when the parents were busy at work.  I called it the Love Boat because we made good use of the privacy below deck.  :lol:

I wonder if they still have it.  Her father passed away a few years later and I'm think he was the only one to really handle it on the water.

I've been to that marina at least once every summer from 1983 to 2017. Summers 2000 to 2002 i basically lived at the marina in the summer. We are still good friends with the owner Suesie Scott, her and her mom marline are basically extended family. If your in contact with her ask if they remember the boat crapshooter. It was docked on the south slip at the end next to the shack.  What was the name of the boat? not many sail boats were kept there

On 6/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, fishnut said:

I've been to that marina at least once every summer from 1983 to 2017. Summers 2000 to 2002 i basically lived at the marina in the summer. We are still good friends with the owner Suesie Scott, her and her mom marline are basically extended family. If your in contact with her ask if they remember the boat crapshooter. It was docked on the south slip at the end next to the shack.  What was the name of the boat? not many sail boats were kept there

I don't recall.  The father was a large burly German guy who spoke like Arnold S.  I didn't catch the name of the boat though.  I would place it around 1989 - 1991 when I was there, but then the girl took off to post-grad in Germany and I married someone else shortly afterward.  Never saw again.