MartyZ

Is ammo considered hazmat?

Ammo is a Hazmat.

I looked at an old Cabelas order and it says postage, not breaking it out as Hazmat.  Look at that price for 9mm. lol.  Desperate times.  It never shipped by the way and I cancelled the order.

Products Ordered

5 of 21-4248 FEDERAL AMERICAN EAGLE PISTOL AMMO PER 50 9MM 124GR FMJ @ $15.99 each

Backorder-Tentative arrival to Cabelas 03/25/13

Total

Merchandise = $79.95
Postage = $12.95
ORDER TOTAL = $92.90

Payment Types To Be Used On This Order

Credit Card -- VISA 9818 = $92.90

Loaded small arms ammo is NOT a HazMat item. It is an ORM-D item and can only be shipped (non-USPS) by an ORM-D contract shipper.

Primers and powder are HazMat items and can only be shipped (non-USPS) by a HazMat contract shipper.

Primed brass is subject to neither of those classifications and can be shipped through the regular USPS mail.

Go figure!

• Like 1

ORMD doesn't necessarily translate to hazmat. $12.95 for 8 pounds of ammo is not that much, and it's not a $20 hazmat charge. 

1 minute ago, njJoniGuy said:

Loaded small arms ammo is NOT a HazMat item. It is an ORM-D item and can only be shipped (non-USPS) by an ORM-D contract shipper.

Primers and powder are HazMat items and can only be shipped (non-USPS) by a HazMat contract shipper.

Primed brass is subject to neither of those classifications and can be shipped through the regular USPS mail.

Go figure!

That's what I thought. So now Cabela's is trying to screw us on shipping also?

Just now, njJoniGuy said:

Go figure!

ORM-D is Hazmat in limited quantity. 

Just now, MartyZ said:

I tried to order a case of .223, not really a limited quantity.

Anyway, I sent them an email, let's see how they respond.

I do know that UPS has eliminated the ORM-D Marking and everything now has the Hazmat Black and white square.  Found that out last year when I shipped some 22-250 from FL to NJ.   They required that I put the new markings on the box.

It probably doesn't matter how much you ship or at least that's what they are saying here.

------------

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)

UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.

Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous Materials), and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. To meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORM-D, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

To qualify as "Cartridges, small arms ORM-D" or limited quantity, ammunition must be:

• Ammunition that does not exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8 gauge for shotgun shells; or
  • Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition

Is a Hazardous Materials Label or Marking Required?

Yes, (until December 31, 2020) packages that meet the definition of Cartridges, small arms must be marked with the proper shipping name "Cartridges, small arms", and designated as "ORM-D". Materials marked "ORM-D" and shipped by UPS Ground within the 48 contiguous states, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska do not require hazardous material shipping papers. This marking may either be in the form of an ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle that is ¼" larger on each side than the designation "ORM-D". (Note: The image below can be printed, cut out, and securely taped to the box with clear packing tape.)

ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms

Alternatively, a black and white limited quantity marking (approximately 4 X 4 inches) may be used. (see example).

Print the ORM-D or Limited Quantity marking and securely affix to your package. If using the limited quantity marking, please place on package as a "square on point" or "diamond".

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

I do know that UPS has eliminated the ORM-D Marking and everything now has the Hazmat Black and white square.  Found that out last year when I shipped some 22-250 from FL to NJ.   They required that I put the new markings on the box.

It probably doesn't matter how much you ship or at least that's what they are saying here.

------------

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)

UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.

Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous Materials), and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. To meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORM-D, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

To qualify as "Cartridges, small arms ORM-D" or limited quantity, ammunition must be:

• Ammunition that does not exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8 gauge for shotgun shells; or
  • Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition

Is a Hazardous Materials Label or Marking Required?

Yes, (until December 31, 2020) packages that meet the definition of Cartridges, small arms must be marked with the proper shipping name "Cartridges, small arms", and designated as "ORM-D". Materials marked "ORM-D" and shipped by UPS Ground within the 48 contiguous states, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska do not require hazardous material shipping papers. This marking may either be in the form of an ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle that is ¼" larger on each side than the designation "ORM-D". (Note: The image below can be printed, cut out, and securely taped to the box with clear packing tape.)

Alternatively, a black and white limited quantity marking (approximately 4 X 4 inches) may be used. (see example).

Print the ORM-D or Limited Quantity marking and securely affix to your package. If using the limited quantity marking, please place on package as a "square on point" or "diamond".

The label should not dictate the fee. The fee is mandated by DOT regulations

Just now, MartyZ said:

The label should not dictate the fee. The fee is mandated by DOT regulations

I get that, my point I believe they are going to standardize everything under "Hazmat" with the white square.  The feds probably changed a rule under Obama to make it harder to ship ammo.

4 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I get that, my point I believe they are going to standardize everything under "Hazmat" with the white square.  The feds probably changed a rule under Obama to make it harder to ship ammo.

I would buy that if others were charging hazmat, but they are not. Just checked PSA also, they are charging a larger shipping fee then others but still does not equate to hazmat. Cabela's flat out states "Hazmat Fee"

So ORM-D small quantity exception is going away at the end of this year.  After that, everything is full hazmat charge.

It's entirely possible that Cabelas has decided to implement the rule now, 7 months ahead of time.

They may extend the closure deadline again, as this was a rule change in 2013 to eliminate the ORM-D exception.   This is exactly the kinda thing Trump likes to squish as it will cost Americans a lot more money going forward.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, Malsua said:

So ORM-D small quantity exception is going away at the end of this year.  After that, everything is full hazmat charge.

It's entirely possible that Cabelas has decided to implement the rule now, 7 months ahead of time.

They may extend the closure deadline again, as this was a rule change in 2013 to eliminate the ORM-D exception.   This is exactly the kinda thing Trump likes to squish as it will cost Americans a lot more money going forward.

its unclear to me if it will be shipped under full hazmat classification even when the rule goes into effect. 

This is supposed to streamline domestic and international shipping, so It looks like this will be the new normal.