Redvip2000

Need info on references process

I have a FID card, and had a handgun permit that expired due to the COVID virus closings. So I went to complete the form to get a second handgun permit and it's asking me again for the same information including providing two references.  Am i filling the right form? I'm aware you can get one permit per month, so if I wanted to get 12 permits per year, I have to bother my references 12 times in one year?

That doesn't seem right.  It only makes sense to do it initially. In other words, why would you ask for references on additional permits if it's assumed the applicant already has handgun?

I'm aware you can get one permit per month, so if I wanted to get 12 permits per year, I have to bother my references 12 times in one year?

No, you can only use one permit each 30 days. (one gun per month). You can apply for as many permits as you wish each time. The law does not limit the number of permits you can apply each time. You can apply for 100 permits if you want. The PD may not let you, but there isn't anything in the law that prevents you from doing so.

However, since each permit is valid for 90 days, folks tend to apply for 3 permits each time. If your town is good with extending permits (extending expiration date beyond the 90 days is done solely at the discretion of the chief of police), you can apply for and use 6 permits in a period of 6 months.

It would work as following (get a calendar to get accurate dates) 

Get six permits in Jan

Use 1 in Jan, 1 in Feb, 1 in March. Get the other 3 extended. Use 1 in April, 1 in May, 1 in June. This is a rough idea how it works. Just make sure you space them 30 days apart.

You would only have to bother your friends twice a year and get 12 permits/year. Your friends would never known how many permits you are applying each time, either.

So I went to complete the form to get a second handgun permit and it's asking me again for the same information including providing two references

That's correct. Each time you apply for permits you have to supply the same information.

2 minutes ago, Redvip2000 said:

Gotcha, I had the wrong idea about application versus usage of permits each 30d.   Ok I will will apply for a few permits then.

I still think having to do the same process when you already have handguns seems silly. 

Welcome to NJ's gun laws.

FYI - all of NJ is now using the NJ FARS system.  Check your township's website on how to submit an application.  This is actually why people usually get at least 3 permits - as the system requires a $20 background check each time.