CAL. .30 M1

BPCR - Anyone?

6 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

@USRifle30Cal I'll take that bounce, lol!  Whatsup?

~R

It requires.pics.....stay tuned @Smokin .50

1888 trapdoor....  :)

1884 trapdoor made 1889...pristine bore..good grooves lands...tight action

500gr bullet

65.9gr 2f GOEX for now

veg fib wad..

bullets crunches powder abt .25"....no air gaps...

seem reasonable?

military load was 500gr 70gr BP...hence 45-70...

prior was 405gr with 55gr BP

ITfAtdo.jpg

Powder prior to settle...
ZLQGj5R.jpg

Settled...
p4LUYRZ.jpg

Over wad...
uxdEOWd.jpg

Completed round.....with bullet for reference...spot on seating depth
ITfAtdo.jpg

Talk to me Rosey....lol

I hear you cannot blow up the gun with BP cause you cannot get enough in...

A bit different from the ML's...but same principle..

I don't plan on smokeless in it or duplex loads...

Do you have any factory rounds to measure over-all case length?  Did you make any "dummies" w/o powder & primer to check to see if OAL fits in your gun?  It should chamber & extract effortlessly in a Trap Door. 

Some guns don't like the 500 gr offering & prefer the 405's.  Not sure which, and you seem to have a newer model.  Springfield started making them in .50-70 prior to the .45-70 chambering.  I have a .50-70 original Trap Door a friend gave me.

Your loads sound about where you want to be.  Compressing the black powder uniformly each time is the key to accuracy. 

Most guys use SPG lube or a grease cookie to keep the fouling soft & maintain accuracy. 

Paul Matthews wrote a nice series of books on the .45-70's.  Found them on Amazon.

Let me know if you want me to ask the OBRPC BP league chair about this.  He owns a .45-70 Sharps & reloads for it.  The ladies love it at Ladies Day at the Range!

51NZCAbfx7L._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Do you have any factory rounds to measure over-all case length?  Did you make any "dummies" w/o powder & primer to check to see if OAL fits in your gun?  It should chamber & extract effortlessly in a Trap Door. 

Some guns don't like the 500 gr offering & prefer the 405's.  Not sure which, and you seem to have a newer model.  Springfield started making them in .50-70 prior to the .45-70 chambering.  I have a .50-70 original Trap Door a friend gave me.

Your loads sound about where you want to be.  Compressing the black powder uniformly each time is the key to accuracy. 

Most guys use SPG lube or a grease cookie to keep the fouling soft & maintain accuracy. 

Paul Matthews wrote a nice series of books on the .45-70's.  Found them on Amazon.

Let me know if you want me to ask the OBRPC BP league chair about this.  He owns a .45-70 Sharps & reloads for it.  The ladies love it at Ladies Day at the Range!

51NZCAbfx7L._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

All that has been done as a matter of course...

Yes that would be good if you could ask.

I saw a lee 405 open base.mold....might get it and cast some up and see how they do.

Just was wondering if the process seemed sound and in line with best in practice etc.

:)

• Agree 1