9 minutes ago, Charles Mathews said:

The mags have  a spacer, 10rnd spring and riveted floor plate but it contains all the components that a normal 30rounder would have minus the 30rnd spring.  So it looks like it would be a felony to own the 30rnd springs.  thx for the info.

Sounds like a permanently altered 10rd magazine to me. 

A 30rd spring alone would not be illegal to own in that case. 

If you have a 10rd spring with a spacer... just by removing the spacer and adding a 30rd spring will not make ur magazine function correctly. You need the correct spring seat that holds the spring and base plate in alignment. 

I have magazines that can be disassembled, they are 20rd bodies but the internals can only be configured to make a 10 round capacity magazine. If I were to purchase the 20rd parts i would be in violation of the law.  

9 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Sounds like a permanently altered 10rd magazine to me. 

A 30rd spring alone would not be illegal to own in that case. 

If you have a 10rd spring with a spacer... just by removing the spacer and adding a 30rd spring will not make ur magazine function correctly. You need the correct spring seat that holds the spring and base plate in alignment. 

I have magazines that can be disassembled, they are 20rd bodies but the internals can only be configured to make a 10 round capacity magazine. If I were to purchase the 20rd parts i would be in violation of the law.  

These particular ones do have the same follower and spring seat. 

1 minute ago, Charles Mathews said:

These particular ones do have the same follower and spring seat. 

not sure which ones you are referring to, but i have not come across magazines that retain the original spring seat when a spacer is used.. the spacer usually takes its place. 

In any case.. i have not come across any law that regulates parts of magazines. Constructive intent that is. Unless something has changed, the law says a magazine is illegal if it can feed  more than 10 rounds continuously.. If its its disassembled it cant do that. Now what the law says, and someone(LEO) trying to nab you.. i mean anyone can put it together on the spot and screw you.. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

not sure which ones you are referring to, but i have not come across magazines that retain the original spring seat when a spacer is used.. the spacer usually takes its place. 

In any case.. i have not come across any law that regulates parts of magazines. Constructive intent that is. Unless something has changed, the law says a magazine is illegal if it can feed  more than 10 rounds continuously.. If its its disassembled it cant do that. Now what the law says, and someone(LEO) trying to nab you.. i mean anyone can put it together on the spot and screw you.. 

good points and makes sense.  thank you

You just have to apply common sense because the law does not specifically address owning springs and I doubt that there has been any case law from the courts yet.  So, the real answer is that nobody knows the answer.

I would not hesitate to own 30 round springs if I didn't own the rest of the stuff to make them into 30 round magazines.  If I owned "permanently altered" 30 round mags that were now 10 round mags - owning an extra 30 round spring doesn't make it possible to convert your magazine to 30 round unless you "permanently alter" them the other way.

• Agree 1