I am new to the gun world and in the process of being fingerprinted to get my firearm ID.

Question comes as Ive seen different responses on pellet gun laws centered around suppressors on pellet guns.  Have read they are illegal outright, also have read the are illegal unless manufactured that way with one on it.

I have fallen in love with the Sig Sauer MCX that comes stock with a suppressor.  I want to know if this is legal if I purchase as Im obviously not trying to be charged after purchasing this pellet gun if a cop finds me.

Any help would be appreciated as I just need some clarification if anyone knows these laws better than I.

To expand on that a bit....

Since, in NJ, BB and pellet guns are considered firearms, one equipped with a suppressor is patently illegal.

In the case of non-suppressed BB or pellet guns, the usual advice is just to go next door (Pennsylvania) and purchase one and bring it back. Since they are not considered firearms any place other than NJ, there are no regulations. Since it was purchased legally in another state it is perfectly legal for you to bring it back and domicile it in NJ. Kind of a catch-22.

IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

22 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Even BB guns with suppression built in are illegal here in the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey)!

You will also have to have NICS run and pay for an FFL transfer if you buy it online and have it shipped to an FFL.

NICS is not required since the FBI has stated the NICS system is to be used only for "firearms" - as defined by federal law

11 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

NICS is not required since the FBI has stated the NICS system is to be used only for "firearms" - as defined by federal law

So I would then assume the FFL transfer would still apply?

9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

So I would then assume the FFL transfer would still apply?

Yes, NJ law requires transfer through a dealer. Buyer must have FPID or PPP depending on what is transferred. But no 4473, NICS or NICS fee (and NICS wait time) necessary.

1 minute ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

Yes, NJ law requires transfer through a dealer. Buyer must have FPID or PPP ...

my understanding always was that pellet longguns required a call to NJ NICS when sold by a dealer, on a COE, also required by NJ

Is your position that all I need do is flash my FID card (not recorded on any gov-form) to buy a Crosman or Gamo (non-suppressed, of course!) .177 or .22 pellet rifle over the counter, like in Free Amerika (I'm not so sure where that is anymore, but that's another story altogether) but I have to shop at a NJ Retail-Licensed dealer? But no paperwork or call?

On 6/15/2020 at 9:02 AM, njJoniGuy said:

my understanding always was that pellet longguns required a call to NJ NICS when sold by a dealer, on a COE, also required by NJ

Is your position that all I need do is flash my FID card (not recorded on any gov-form) to buy a Crosman or Gamo (non-suppressed, of course!) .177 or .22 pellet rifle over the counter, like in Free Amerika (I'm not so sure where that is anymore, but that's another story altogether) but I have to shop at a NJ Retail-Licensed dealer? But no paperwork or call?

My plan is to purchase online and ship to my parents house just over the river in PA. Once obtaining FID to pick up and drive back to NJ

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

My plan is to purchase online and ship to my parents house just over the river in PA. Once obtaining FID to pick up and drive back to NJ

You would be better off having your one of your parents but it. The business may not allow your purchase using a NJ address. Then you can drive to PA, take possession, then drive back to NJ. No FPID needed. Of course, you'll have to convince your parent it is legal to do.

I still cannot believe that this state requires a permit, to purchase and own a BB gun...And, from what I've heard, the only place you can legally shoot them, is at a gun range!? I bought one years ago from someone on Ebay. They sent it to my home in NJ, no questions asked. I guess at some point i should probably apply for a permit and register it...*Sigh*

9 hours ago, PK90 said:

You would be better off having your one of your parents but it. The business may not allow your purchase using a NJ address. Then you can drive to PA, take possession, then drive back to NJ. No FPID needed. Of course, you'll have to convince your parent it is legal to do.

I’m under the impression that real gun laws apply to pellet guns, which would mean transporting it in a car without an FID is illegal, also illegal to possess on NJ soil without FID.  If I was somehow pulled over and searched and the gun was found I’d be in some doo doo or evening seen on my own property doing my pest control (squirrels) which is why I want the airgun mainly (and also for fun) I’d have an issue not being registered to own a firearm.  That was my interpretation of the laws, may be wrong, but that’s how I understood it all.

I also plan on buying a real weapon at some point with all this nonsense going on, but would like to learn how to use a real weapon before buying, so having the FID will be needed for the future as well for that.

9 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

I still cannot believe that this state requires a permit, to purchase and own a BB gun...And, from what I've heard, the only place you can legally shoot them, is at a gun range!? I bought one years ago from someone on Ebay. They sent it to my home in NJ, no questions asked. I guess at some point i should probably apply for a permit and register it...*Sigh*

The NJ laws are ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Tunaman said:

Shooting squirrels out of season with a BB gun(using BB's) is illegal and you COULD go to jail and lose your 2A rights forever.  Dont let anyone see you doing it.

Haha, thanks! I bought the thing only because I liked the look of it. I've not even shot it and I'm sure as hell not taking it to a proper range to do so. guess it'll stay stored away indefinitely. Thanks for the tip! Hope NJ comes around like the rest of the country, and soon

49 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I’m under the impression that real gun laws apply to pellet guns, which would mean transporting it in a car without an FID is illegal, also illegal to possess on NJ soil without FID.  If I was somehow pulled over and searched and the gun was found I’d be in some doo doo or evening seen on my own property doing my pest control (squirrels) which is why I want the airgun mainly (and also for fun) I’d have an issue not being registered to own a firearm.  That was my interpretation of the laws, may be wrong, but that’s how I understood it all.

I also plan on buying a real weapon at some point with all this nonsense going on, but would like to learn how to use a real weapon before buying, so having the FID will be needed for the future as well for that.

One does not need a fid to transport any firearm (yes in NJ bb guns and pellet guns are considered firearms) only to purchase them.

If you have your FID you could keep any long gun unloaded in your vehicle at all times. Without an FID you are limited to and from range/ hunting, gunsmith and any homes or properties you own/lease. 

You can legally kill pests such as squirrel with an air rifle out of season if you can show proof of 500$ or more of damage to your home. If not you can be charged with taking game out of season. You would have to abide by the legal hunting distances to other homes unless you have permission (450' i think). 

If your shooting squirrel just because you don't like them around your house just move to the city and stay out of the park 

45 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You don't need a FPID to own any firearm. You need it to purchase long guns. See the difference?

Theres a couple more benefits to having an FPID but let's keep it simple. (Purchase pistol caliber ammo and transport your unloaded riffles outside the exemptions except in places where  expressly forbidden) 

The law doesn't require an FPID to transport your firearms, either. Sorta makes sense, if you are not required to have it to own firearms, logic would dictate you don't need it to transport them.

There is no long gun registration as we understand it. Pistols, on the other hand, by virtue of the process required to purchase them, become automatically registered.

25 minutes ago, fishnut said:

One does not need a fid to transport any firearm (yes in NJ bb guns and pellet guns are considered firearms) only to purchase them.

If you have your FID you could keep any long gun unloaded in your vehicle at all times. Without an FID you are limited to and from range/ hunting, gunsmith and any homes or properties you own/lease. 

You can legally kill pests such as squirrel with an air rifle out of season if you can show proof of 500$ or more of damage to your home. If not you can be charged with taking game out of season. You would have to abide by the legal hunting distances to other homes unless you have permission (450' i think). 

If your shooting squirrel just because you don't like them around your house just move to the city and stay out of the park 

Thank you, that was some good info.

13 minutes ago, WP22 said:

You don't need a FPID to own any firearm. You need it to purchase long guns. See the difference?

Theres a couple more benefits to having an FPID but let's keep it simple. (Purchase pistol caliber ammo and transport your unloaded riffles outside the exemptions except in places where  expressly forbidden) 

The law doesn't require an FPID to transport your firearms, either. Sorta makes sense, if you are not required to have it to own firearms, logic would dictate you don't need it to transport them.

There is no long gun registration as we understand it. Pistols, on the other hand, by virtue of the process required to purchase them, become automatically registered.

Thank you

5 hours ago, Antonio5 said:

I would like to add that the airsoft guns are considered to be toys in NJ. The plastic pellet ammunition utilized for an airsoft contain a hollow cavity which do not conform to a solid projectile.

???? @Krdshrk

Aren't they right up there with suppressed assault slingshots or even SAKs with scary features.  

By the way to any newcomers, just because you are doing things legal in NJ with firearms does not mean you won't be arrested.  For example, even though you can drive around to unprohibited places in NJ with long guns properly stored in your vehicle (unloaded and fastened case), does not mean that if you are found wiht one and you have your FID card on you that you won't be subject to the State.  In NJ the laws are setup to catch law-abiding and peaceful and responsible citizens.  There are patriot peace officers out there, but there are also the opposite.  AND there are also a lot of "uninformed" uniformed that don't know, and just like the rest of us, can't really discern any meaning or common sense in the laws.   Any new gun owners should check out Brian Aiken's book the Blue Tent Sky.  

And with all of the legal snafus for good people, violent criminals often plea bargain, etc. and aren't even charged with their gun offenses.  However, if you are a contributing member of society and found with ONE hollow-point (or similar) bullet you will find out just how hostile NJ can be.   Heaven help the stinky armpit of our Republic.  

56 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

I think you still cannot shoot them anywhere except a gun range, correct? Not in your backyard, not in a forest preserve, etc. (Basically Unlike pretty much every other state in this country).

Well, if you have a back yard that's screened off from view of the public... or in your basement, that's fine... Running around with them in public is a big no no... there are dedicated Airsoft fields around too..