As long as you are not in a "non-discharge zone" you can shoot them in your backyard; just take the same precautions as you would with any firearm. And obviously it also depends upon the tolerance of your neighbors. Where I live everyone is cool with it, and there is enough separation between properties that no one can really see you shooting. 

You can also get a hunting license and hunt small game with them in NJ. 

Just for contrast, in England, which has some of the strictest gun laws anywhere, air guns are everywhere (although power is limited), and having a suppressor is considered being a "good neighbor". 

6 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

I think you still cannot shoot them anywhere except a gun range, correct? Not in your backyard, not in a forest preserve, etc. (Basically Unlike pretty much every other state in this country).

I would check with the local PD. Friend of mine made an impulsive air rifle purchase in NY. No FID, no knowledge of the regulation - zip. So I advised him to “surrender” himself to the locals, if doesn't want to spend the next two years with a roommate named Bubba.

The local police issued FID for him, and as his lot is 6 acres forest, gave him informal permission to shoot on his property. 

So bottom line - if you live in a townhouse don’t shoot airgun in your backyard. Otherwise, ask your blue force. 

It seems that this thread is conflating air soft and air/pellet/BB guns. Airsoft are considered toys. Pellet/BB guns are considered firearms in NJ - but nowhere else. Your friends impulsive purchase of a pellet gun in NY was perfectly legal, as was his bringing it back to NJ, since it was purchased legally in another state.

He does not need an FPID to possess a firearm. The "P" stands for "purchase" not own.

Adios, 

Pizza Bob

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

It seems that this thread is conflating air soft and air/pellet/BB guns. Airsoft are considered toys. Pellet/BB guns are considered firearms in NJ - but nowhere else. Your friends impulsive purchase of a pellet gun in NY was perfectly legal, as was his bringing it back to NJ, since it was purchased legally in another state.

He does not need an FPID to possess a firearm. The "P" stands for "purchase" not own.

Adios, 

Pizza Bob

So here's a question on that. Before I had my FID, I bought a BB rifle on eBay. I probably need to register that? if so, how do I do that? I've since acquired a BB pistol as well, so prob need to register that as well—I've heard I need to apply for the same permits as purchasing an actual firearm, correct? I also have an AirSoft, which shoots plastic BBs. NO need to register this one?

thanks

1 minute ago, Zeus2112 said:

So here's a question on that. Before I had my FID, I bought a BB rifle on eBay. I probably need to register that? if so, how do I do that? I've since acquired a BB pistol as well, so prob need to register that as well—I've heard I need to apply for the same permits as purchasing an actual firearm, correct? I also have an AirSoft, which shoots plastic BBs. NO need to register this one?

thanks

If you had the rifle or pistol delivered directly to you at a NJ address, you violated the law. Since only you and the seller (and now hundreds of forum readers) know this, I'd do nothing. Please note - I am not advising you to do nothing, I'm only saying what I would do if I was in that situation (I'm not).

Relax. You are overthinking this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

Just as Tom says, but when you use a 4-part P2P to purchase a "handgun" in the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan, you are involuntarily registering that "handgun" in your name with both your local PD (who issued the P2P) and the State Police (who maintain a database of "handgun" purchasers.

Otherwise, firearms registration here in the PRNJ is strictly voluntary.

• Agree 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:13 PM, Tunaman said:

Get a hunting license...you can hunt squirrels and rabbits with a pellet gun now.

What about chipmunks? Do they have a season or a law against shooting them?

9 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

What about chipmunks? Do they have a season or a law against shooting them?

There is no season to hunt chipmunks so it is not legal to kill them unless you can prove $500 bucks or more of damage to your home. 

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

There is no season to hunt chipmunks so it is not legal to kill them unless you can prove $500 bucks or more of damage to your home. 

But what if Alvin, Simon and Theodore show up on your property and rape your dog?

Can you kill them then??  :this:

1 hour ago, njJoniGuy said:

But what if Alvin, Simon and Theodore show up on your property and rape your dog?

Can you kill them then??  :this:

If 3 chipmunks rape your dog you need a new dog the one you have is defective