JMich3

Gun safe in the garage?

I recently bought a small house with a nice size garage. There really isn’t a spot inside the house for a safe so I’m debating putting a safe in the garage. I know it’s not optimum but is it a terrible idea?

When I lived there, I had my safe in the garage. Had a golden rod & a rechargeable dehumidifier.

Never had any issues. I had mine bolted to the floor & wall. 
Realize if someone breaks in, it will be easier for them to get the safe out of the garage then if it was in your house.

4 minutes ago, njpilot said:

When I lived there, I had my safe in the garage. Had a golden rod & a rechargeable dehumidifier.

Never had any issues. I had mine bolted to the floor & wall. 
Realize if someone breaks in, it will be easier for them to get the safe out of the garage then if it was in your house.

Exactly. That's why some kind of alarm system is also recommended. Given enough time any safe can be defeated or removed.

• Agree 2

I went to Tractor Supply and got a section of 1/4" rubber mat designed for horse stalls. You can buy it by the foot. That's sandwiched between the bottom of the safe and the basement floor to prevent moisture migration. You can cut it to fit the safe footprint, and it complicates trying to get a prybar wedged in underneath. It worked well and didn't complicate bolting the safe to the concrete floor.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

I went to Tractor Supply and got a section of 1/4" rubber mat designed for horse stalls. You can buy it by the foot. That's sandwiched between the bottom of the safe and the basement floor to prevent moisture migration. You can cut it to fit the safe footprint, and it complicates trying to get a prybar wedged in underneath. It worked well and didn't complicate bolting the safe to the concrete floor.

Moo mats FTW!

A lot of tips on how to store a gun safe in the garage, I suggest looking at this article Can You Keep a Gun Safe in the Garage? But you must understand that it is necessary to deal with moisture if the garage is underground and the air in it is humid.

My garage in the last house was terrible in terms of humidity. I had to lubricate the safe in and out with an anti-rust solution. And many more tricks

I'll go a little against the previous posts and say, it depends. Some garages will have extreme temperature and humidity fluctuation that a home's interior doesn't. Now if you only plan on storing polymer/parkerized/stainless firearms, then no big deal. But if some of your guns have fine wood stocks and gloss bluing, they may do better in a more temperature controlled environment.