EVANGELIONHD

Hello all from Sayreville

Welcome!  I grew up in Sayreville in the 1970's.

For range, I was a member of Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club before I moved out of NJ.

For physical store, I liked Howell Gun Works.

Online stores:  Brownells, Palmetto State Armory, Optics Planet, and Primary Arms have served me well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello! Welcome aboard. And sorry for your experience - 84 days? Sheesh.

I'm not near Sayreville, but I'm certain others will chime in with local recommendations for ranges/FFLs, etc.

Please keep an eye on the events area, too - we sometimes have NJGF shooting events where you can meet other posters, try out various guns, etc.

BTW, is "easy target shooting" -  the only goal? Or are you also looking for something that could be a defensive firearm? Do you think you'll just buy just the 1 gun (almost never happens, btw, lol) or eventually get a 2nd. Your purpose(s) for the gun will really define what you purchase. A .22 handgun is fabulous for "easy target shooting" and a great way to start... but it might (or might not) meet your goals. Tell us more...! :D

Edit: see? someone already chimed in while I was typing... :)

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Hello! Welcome aboard. And sorry for your experience - 84 days? Sheesh.

I'm not near Sayreville, but I'm certain others will chime in with local recommendations for ranges/FFLs, etc.

Please keep an eye on the events area, too - we sometimes have NJGF shooting events where you can meet other posters, try out various guns, etc.

BTW, is "easy target shooting" -  the only goal? Or are you also looking for something that could be a defensive firearm? Do you think you'll just buy just the 1 gun (almost never happens, btw, lol) or eventually get a 2nd. Your purpose(s) for the gun will really define what you purchase. A .22 handgun is fabulous for "easy target shooting" and a great way to start... but it might (or might not) meet your goals. Tell us more...! :D

Edit: see? someone already chimed in while I was typing... :)

Well... I got a 1 gun purchase permit with the FID, and originally I was thinking on getting a caliber .22LR and also an AR style rifle, also .22LR. But now I am most of the idea of getting a 9mm maybe a Beretta, or S&W and get the S&W MP15-22 for the easy target shooting, but I am open to ideas and recommendations.

1 hour ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Well... I got a 1 gun purchase permit with the FID, and originally I was thinking on getting a caliber .22LR and also an AR style rifle, also .22LR. But now I am most of the idea of getting a 9mm maybe a Beretta, or S&W and get the S&W MP15-22 for the easy target shooting, but I am open to ideas and recommendations.

I will let other more experienced shooters weigh in on this. I am NOT - repeat NOT - an expert. :D That said, in my own personal limited experience, I think a .22 handgun is just a fabulous way to "start" your shooting career. The smaller caliber means less recoil, which means less likelihood of developing a flinch (that would then have to be unlearned). So, you would learn all of the things you need to learn with any firearm... but in the easiest, least punishing way. You should also use the search function - you'll find, I'm sure, several threads about people looking to purchase a first gun.

Also, a small tip that I learned from others on here... it's not a bad idea to request multiple handgun permits at the same time. Most people on here say 3. Yes, you're limited to purchasing one-gun-a-month (OGAM) in this state, but I believe you still save both on effort and cost if you apply to get the permits all at once. You can always stage out your purchases... the permits last awhile as you know. Yeah, I know you already got your permit... but it's something to consider for the future! (This hobby is very addictive).

Note to other posters: It's been a LONG time since I went through the handgun/purchase process. I know it's changed quite a bit since then. So, chime in and correct me - quickly, pls! - if I said anything wrong to this new poster! :facepalm:

• Informative 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I will let other more experienced shooters weigh in on this. I am NOT - repeat NOT - an expert. :D That said, in my own personal limited experience, I think a .22 handgun is just a fabulous way to "start" your shooting career. The smaller caliber means less recoil, which means less likelihood of developing a flinch (that would then have to be unlearned). So, you would learn all of the things you need to learn with any firearm... but in the easiest, least punishing way. You should also use the search function - you'll find, I'm sure, several threads about people looking to purchase a first gun.

Also, a small tip that I learned from others on here... it's not a bad idea to request multiple handgun permits at the same time. Most people on here say 3. Yes, you're limited to purchasing one-gun-a-month (OGAM) in this state, but I believe you still save both on effort and cost if you apply to get the permits all at once. You can always stage out your purchases... the permits last awhile as you know. Yeah, I know you already got your permit... but it's something to consider for the future! (This hobby is very addictive).

Note to other posters: It's been a LONG time since I went through the handgun/purchase process. I know it's changed quite a bit since then. So, chime in and correct me - quickly, pls! - if I said anything wrong to this new poster! :facepalm:

Thank you, Your words really encourage me to apply for 3 next time, I did the online application without too much hope of getting the permit apparently my city is a bit against the home gun owning.

Can I apply for the permits at the gun store or do I need to previously apply with the PD and bring it with me to the gun store?

4 minutes ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Thank you, Your words really encourage me to apply for 3 next time, I did the online application without too much hope of getting the permit apparently my city is a bit against the home gun owning.

Can I apply for the permits at the gun store or do I need to previously apply with the PD and bring it with me to the gun store?

Permits are processed through your local PD (though much of that has been moved online since I last did it; it sounds like you're already familiar with that process). BTW, no matter how much your PD might be 2A-unfriendly, they can't just deny you for no good reason! If your record is clean in all respects (criminal, mental health, etc.), you should get both FID and as many handgun permits as you request.

The nice folks at your local gun shop will require a permit (that you obtained through your PD) when you're ready to purchase your handgun. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the nut house. We are here to enable you.

Regarding gun suggestions. Every major manufacturer makes reliable firearms; the best gun out there is the one you shot the best, the one that fits your hand the best and the one you feel the most comfortable with. That's where range time plays an important part. I suggest going to places that rent  firearms; go try different brands, models and calibers so when you are ready to buy, you buy exactly what you want. It's going to be expensive, though.

Don't get too hanged up on brands - but just so you know, if you don't buy a CZ, you are making a lifetime mistake-- or calibers. Buy what feels right.

Also, with your FPID you can buy as many rifles and shotguns as your heart desires. You don't need a permit for each. Do you need fill out a certificate of eligibility, the atf form 4473 and pass the back ground check (NICS). But that's all done at the gun store; no need to go back to the police department.

That opens another world of possibilities. 

And to throw a bone to pizza bob, revolvers are cool too and that are a lot of fun to shoot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

If there was one single change the NJ legislature could make to benefit the NJ gun owners that would have zero impact on crime rates and wouldn't increase the number of guns on the wrong hands, it would be to eliminate the permit scheme as it exists today.

The permit process could easily be done at the gun store. It makes no sense that you just passed a criminal background check in order to get your permits, walk down Main Street to the gun store and have to pass a second background check when making a purchase.

But keeping it as is fulfills the goals of the legislature which is dissuade law abiding citizens from owning firearms.

• Agree 1

Welcome!

Range:  RTSP in Union NJ. The range is clean and safe, and the people are friendly. If i were to shoot in NJ, RTSP wouldn't be a bad choice

Physical Store: Heritage Guild in Rahway. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but they have a good selection of handguns and the people who work there are reasonable and respectful.

Online Store: Aim Surplus and Buds Gun Shop: Having purchased handguns from both of these online-stores on different occasions, i can testify that i was satisfied with their prices, fast shipping, and quality of their products. I have used many different online-stores over the years for ammo and accessories , but only these two for purchasing handguns. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome from Middletown.  I second the recommendation to first rent and try out a handgun before purchasing.  It is helpful to see how the gun feels in your hand under recoil while shooting.

Regarding the S&W 15-22, I have had mine for 5 years and it has been a great fun gun to shoot at the range. Have shot approx 3,500 rounds through mine with rarely any issues. I almost exclusively shoot CCI AR Tactical and Mini-Mags thru it.

Garden State Shooting Center (now known as WeShoot) in Lakewood has a good selection of rental firearms. I also have purchased most of my firearms there. As mentioned above, Howell Gun Works is a good place. Also, Legend Firearms (Ira) which is located inside the Union Hill Gun Club (in Monroe) where I am also a member.

Also recommend you look into acquiring a NJ Hunting license. That will enable you to shoot your long guns at the wildlife management areas.  (Shooting the 15-22 outdoors is the most fun.)

Fyi, Podcasts I listen to include: 1) Gun for Hire (NJ specific), Gun Talk, and American Armed Radio. My favorite Youtube channels include: hickok45, sootch00, IraqiVeteren8888, Paul Harrell, and gunblue490, among many others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Thank you all for your recommendations and wise words, I'll definitely rent some guns to test and try before committing to one.

Keep this in mind when going to rent....most ranges with rentals require a 2nd person be with you...you can't rent a gun if you are by yourself.

8 minutes ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Wow... good to know, thank you... even if I have my FID??

Call ahead. People cap themselves with rentals and the local ranges are tired of mopping up. It’s joisey, nobody is happy 

• Informative 1

10 minutes ago, EVANGELIONHD said:

Wow... good to know, thank you... even if I have my FID??

It may vary by range

RTSP  allows you to rent alone if you have the FPID.

https://www.rtsponline.com/new-to-shooting/

Gun for hire does too but you must bring your own firearm as well.

https://gunforhire.com/why-rent-guns/

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vtec45 said:

I am in my 82 days in to waiting in Sayreville for the FID the only question I have is when did you pay $7 application fee could not find any info on it on Sayreville site 

how did Sayreville contact you that your FID is ready phone call or email 

First I got an email from the state stating that my application had been approved and that the PD will be contacting me soon.

They called me next day to set up an appointment. 

Thats when you pay cash for the fid and the p2p as many as you got.

Ill recommend that you apply for more permits to purchase the moment you get your FID it will take anything from 45 to another 90 days to get them.

I applied in late November 

Got the Nj state email that that the background check is complete 2 days later 

I called Sayreville in late December with the question about payment 

they told me that they will call me when is ready and that is when I pay 

does this make any seance 

7 minutes ago, Vtec45 said:

I applied in late November 

Got the Nj state email that that the background check is complete 2 days later 

I called Sayreville in late December with the question about payment 

they told me that they will call me when is ready and that is when I pay 

does this make any seance 

That is what the process is. You have to nag them about the permits unfortunately. They used to be a town you'd get them in 60 days or less. My last go round I applied late October 2019, and didn't have them in hand until early February. 

These days it is a slow process, my initial FID and P2P took 120 days, just applied for 3 more P2P in early January, when I call, the recording states, permits are taking 6 months. Unless you walk in too the PD you don't have a chance to speak to a live person. This in Brick Township.