Malsua

Stealth Cruiser?

When I notice someone gaining on me, it gets my attention.   This is mostly because I'm usually not the problem as far as left lane slow pokes.  So I see this car coming, so I sped up.  I sped up  _A lot_ and it still gained on me, so I had to wait to pass a car in the middle lane then I moved over(moments after this clip ends).    He was doing well over 100mph.

I noticed what looks like a red/blue strobe around the passenger visor.

I don't see it on the driver side

I don't see any additional antennae

Do PDs buy the Ford Focus?

This a detective car or just a local hero fire dude or something?     It just struck me as odd.

Just now, Krdshrk said:

A lot of people doing that due to the Quarantine... but cops are starting to show back up.  

I've been working this entire time and speeds are definitely coming down now that that non-essentials are back.  

I don't think I can emphasize enough how fast that guy was going.   There was a 25mph, at least, closing speed on me.     My vehicle has 9 gears.   At 80mph in 9th, the engine is at 1800RPM.    Each 200rpm is about 10mph.   The engine was doing 2400RPM.   Maybe it downshifted, maybe it didn't ;), either way the guy was still gaining on me.

17 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I've been working this entire time and speeds are definitely coming down now that that non-essentials are back.  

I don't think I can emphasize enough how fast that guy was going.   There was a 25mph, at least, closing speed on me.     My vehicle has 9 gears.   At 80mph in 9th, the engine is at 1800RPM.    Each 200rpm is about 10mph.   The engine was doing 2400RPM.   Maybe it downshifted, maybe it didn't ;), either way the guy was still gaining on me.

What are you driving, a Jeep? I know they have some interesting transmissions with extra gears for fuel economy. I just wonder how long the transmissions last with the extra amount of gear changes.

Just now, ChrisJM981 said:

Was the driver overweight with a goatee and wearing a blue t-shirt? :D

I didn't want to make eye contact just in case I saw a broad billed trooper hat ;0

That said, I feel like you're either identifying a stereotypical local hero or someone in particular I'm not familiar with but either way I know "who" you are talking about.

I was at the end of my driveway and wanted to turn in and the guy above refused to let me move my vehicle by turning in.  They were on a call at the neighbor's house as the fire alarms were going off.  Literally 15 feet and actually would have gotten my car out of the way.   douchebag control freak.

3 minutes ago, Greenday said:

What are you driving, a Jeep? I know they have some interesting transmissions with extra gears for fuel economy. I just wonder how long the transmissions last with the extra amount of gear changes.

Acura TLX.   It uses the same 9 speed ZF transmission as Jeep Cherokee, for some recent years anyway.  

It was replaced once at 29k, but that was due to a mfg defect with a bad gasket that allowed coolant into the trans oil.  It's been fine ever since.   Currently 109k on the odom. 

9 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Acura TLX.   It uses the same 9 speed ZF transmission as Jeep Cherokee, for some recent years anyway.  

It was replaced once at 29k, but that was due to a mfg defect with a bad gasket that allowed coolant into the trans oil.  It's been fine ever since.   Currently 109k on the odom. 

Cool to hear. It's definitely a very innovative way to increase fuel economy.

8 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Cool to hear. It's definitely a very innovative way to increase fuel economy.

My only complaint is that it can take a bit to get down to a passing gear if you're not in sport mode(i.e. Normal or Economy).   Stand on it and....nuttin.  Of course the engine then gets up into the V6s VTEC range and it's full HP potential about the same time the trans is in gear.   It kinda feels like when I'd tag the nitrous button on my race car when I was tooling along in 2nd at about 70mph.   A roar and you're off ;)

In sport+ mode with the rev matching it's insanely fun to drive.  It keeps the engine way up in the RPMS and throttle response is outstanding.  

I got 37.5 MPG on a 525 mile trip to Ohio.   I get around 30mpg  for my normal combined travel.  Not bad for a 290HP luxury vehicle.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

When I notice someone gaining on me, it gets my attention.   This is mostly because I'm usually not the problem as far as left lane slow pokes.  So I see this car coming, so I sped up.  I sped up  _A lot_ and it still gained on me, so I had to wait to pass a car in the middle lane then I moved over(moments after this clip ends).    He was doing well over 100mph.

I noticed what looks like a red/blue strobe around the passenger visor.

I don't see it on the driver side

I don't see any additional antennae

Do PDs buy the Ford Focus?

This a detective car or just a local hero fire dude or something?     It just struck me as odd.

That’s a PD stealth car. I’ve seen several of them in NJ, and the State Troopers in Maryland also used them. 

57 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I didn't want to make eye contact just in case I saw a broad billed trooper hat ;0

That said, I feel like you're either identifying a stereotypical local hero or someone in particular I'm not familiar with but either way I know "who" you are talking about.

I was at the end of my driveway and wanted to turn in and the guy above refused to let me move my vehicle by turning in.  They were on a call at the neighbor's house as the fire alarms were going off.  Literally 15 feet and actually would have gotten my car out of the way.   douchebag control freak.

Poking fun at the local hero standard issue attire. Similar to when you go to either an organized shooting event (IPSC/IDPA/USPSA) and everyone has some form of khaki cargo pants on (myself included). :)

• Like 1

Definitely an LEO of sorts. Could be anything from a detective, CO/probations officer to someone in an administrative role. 

I have a guy down the block with a white one who is a detective. And I pass 1 guy in a suit on my way to work in a blue one pretty regularly. They all have the unmarked lights in the same location. 

Up here almost all the patrol vehicles for Town use are Explorers and even f-150's...  the one unmarked vehicle i have seen was a blue explorer. 

The 287 unmarked staties are all dodge chargers unless the recently upgraded. 

The days of spotting crowvic headlights is over... Every soccer mom gets my heart racing these days. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Definitely an LEO of sorts. Could be anything from a detective, CO/probations officer to someone in an administrative role. 

He didn't have radar or laser, the V1G2 would have alerted and I didn't see any gear in the vehicle.  The only way to be sure to  as to my speed would have been to follow me for a period of time.  My paranoia kicked in and as he approached, I took my foot off the gas and was under 80 when he was on me.  At worst he could have estimated my speed and probably didn't care one way or another.  He just wanted me out of the way and I obliged.

I also get a little wonky when I see a white/black explorer as that's what they run in Vernon.  I do distantly know a couple of those guys, I may have an out if they ever stop me again.

17 minutes ago, Malsua said:

He didn't have radar or laser, the V1G2 would have alerted and I didn't see any gear in the vehicle.  The only way to be sure to  as to my speed would have been to follow me for a period of time.  My paranoia kicked in and as he approached, I took my foot off the gas and was under 80 when he was on me.  At worst he could have estimated my speed and probably didn't care one way or another.  He just wanted me out of the way and I obliged.

I also get a little wonky when I see a white/black explorer as that's what they run in Vernon.  I do distantly know a couple of those guys, I may have an out if they ever stop me again.

I dont think these are patrol vehicles set up for traffic, or even apprehension of individuals. Almost like vehicles for "desk jobs", its a basic car with lights to get them from point a to b... so no cage, radar, computer or costly equipment that wouldn't be used anyway 

Just now, JackDaWack said:

I dont think these are patrol vehicles set up for traffic, or even apprehension of individuals. Almost like vehicles for "desk jobs"

Yeah.  I used to have one of those vehicle when I was in College.  A blue LTD with all the police stuff except the badging.  The University food service bought it from the motor pool who took the decals off.   It was totally awesome driving it around.    One of the girls in my class saw me in it, thought I was campus police.   We hooked up later and only afterwards did I let her know I just work for food service as a programmer. heh.   Said to me through the window "Hey you're out of uniform!"  "Yeah, my day off!" with a laugh.    Hard to believe that young little cutie is a menopausal 50 something now. heh.

• Haha 1

So this morning the Stealth Cruiser is back.

It also has lights in the rear window.  I've zoomed and changed the contrast, hard to see though.

When this guy caught up to me on RT208, I was going a speed that rhymes with Matey.

Notice how much he surges back and forth while behind me.  He's got a lead foot and just really needs to express it.

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

quite probably a fed level leo. i've seen them use pretty much everything from a taurus to a buick enclave......

Probably headed for the bridge considering how early it is.  As long as you can be at the GW by 630, you can get across without too much of a fuss.   Much after that and it starts to get wonky.

Doesn't have a fed plate and it is your basic NJ plate.  I should probably look up the number and if I can't get a hit, he's definitely LEO.  Let me do that now...

Just now, Malsua said:

Yeah, no returns on the plate.   I think that seals it.

The bigger question is, why is it tailing you?  And what other vehicles/aircraft-that you haven't yet spotted-are involved in the surveillance?  

:B:):

Just now, 10X said:

The bigger question is, why is it tailing you?  And what other vehicles/aircraft-that you haven't yet spotted-are involved in the surveillance?  

I'm being crowd stalked.   There are people out on my lake, 24 hours a day watching my house, I get followed everywhere!.  Oh, wait, nevermind that'd be the crazy cat lady down the street who yells at cars that has delusions of stalking.

36 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Probably headed for the bridge considering how early it is.  As long as you can be at the GW by 630, you can get across without too much of a fuss.   Much after that and it starts to get wonky.

Doesn't have a fed plate and it is your basic NJ plate.  I should probably look up the number and if I can't get a hit, he's definitely LEO.  Let me do that now...

i worked on an ICE vehicle that had "normal" plates.

14 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Yeah, no returns on the plate.   I think that seals it.

how are you able to look up plates to find that out?

12 minutes ago, 10X said:

interesting question. :)

that said......i pretty much always am noting anything out of the ordinary in my neighborhood, and always paying mind to what i see ont he road. my 8 mile commute is pretty boring, and i essentially see the same vehicles every morning......

2 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

how are you able to look up plates to find that out?

https://findbyplate.com/

There are a bunch of them, that one is pretty fast.   I stumbled into one that would give you the registered owner and street address but it stopped working a while back.

I'm quite sure there is a pay service that will give you that.

I know some LEOs and a FHP Trooper and they file a form to get their plate blocked so they can't be found.   I know also that if a cop runs the plate, it comes back as blocked indicating a government official of some sort.