Pj.conklin11

First time poster.. please help !

Hi everyone my name is Pj. I just found this forum today after doing some research about a problem I’m having in this wonderful state we live in. I was hoping to post my story and get some advice and hear some other similar stories. 

So I’m trying to get my nj FID here in Morris county and a mental health red flag popped up basically. Which I was aware would happen. Long story short when I was a teenager I got mixed up with some stupid stuff and partied too much. Turned into a little bit of an opiate addiction and my parents put the Kabash on that quickly. During that time tho I got a dui and small misdeamenor drug charge which all got expunged by a pre trial intervention. But what’s haunting me is I went to a detox that was a state run hospital and was committed into a mica unit (mentally ill chemically addicted). It was the only way into the detox so at the time it was my only option. But now it shows I was committed to a mental institution. 

fast forward it’s been 8 years since I’ve had any and i mean all drugs in my system. Completely turned my life around .. own my second home , an income property, good job making 100k plus a year married 3 kids blah blah blah. It was a short phase In my life that is now haunting me tremendously. 

im very pro2a. An avid hunter , would love to teach my kids gun safety and how to properly treat a firearm but I can’t do that legally here. Idk what to do. 

ive talked to a couple lawyers. All saying it’s going to be around 6-7 thousand dollars and there’s no assurance it’ll go thru which is crazy...

my town seems to think it’s not a big deal.. she’s like oh just have a medical doctor sign off saying your medically fit to posses a firearm... easier said than done. :(

has anyone else been thru something similar?? I know I can’t be the only one. I refuse to lay down and let me rights be stripped from me for being a dumb kid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pj.conklin11 said:

...and there’s still no gaurentee

There will never be any guarantees. But if if your town give you the indication that a letter from a health care professional can clear this situation, is it not worth the effort and money?

my town seems to think it’s not a big deal.. she’s like oh just have a medical doctor sign off saying your medically fit to posses a firearm... easier said than done. :(

Who is "she"?

2 hours ago, Pj.conklin11 said:

Thanks guys.. I spoke with Gianni, Evan nappen, and Alan maraini. All great guys but it just makes me nervous dropping all that coin ( which I definitely do not have laying around ) and there’s still no gaurentee

You positioned yourself as a person of means in your introduction ("own my second home , an income property, good job making 100k plus a year") so I don't really understand the hesitation at the prospect of $6K - $7K lawyer fee.

There's no shortcut or easy way.

You know the path forward so you now have to decide if it's actually important to you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

You positioned yourself as a person of means in your introduction ("own my second home , an income property, good job making 100k plus a year") so I don't really understand the hesitation at the prospect of $6K - $7K lawyer fee.

There's no shortcut or easy way.

You know the path forward so you now have to decide if it's actually important to you.

But also the sole provider for a family of 5 haha..what I meant was I just don’t have that kind of money laying around to throw at a court case.  please don’t take as what i said as bragging cus I don’t want it to come across that way. Just trying to show how I’ve turned my life around from a stupid kid. 

but you’re right If it’s important to me. Which it is, then I will make it work. 

I guess I’m just hoping there’s been others in similar situations as me that will chime in

You need to get a Lawyer so you follow the proper steps in order to get you the best chance. Internet yahoos will not get you there.  You should only have to do this once...then you will know if you will be restricted forever.

I had this issue come up last year when renewing my FL Carry permit. I was denied because of a new law some years back called the Firearms Disability act. I was an in patient at the age of 12 and just last year, my records finally made it to the NICs list. I had to go to court to get the record expunged. I did all the work myself and it cost me around $1200 total. If you hire a lawyer it will cost more. I was the first for the courts to have a mental health record expunged in their history as it is very rare. They do get many Criminal cases expunged. 

5 minutes ago, Karatenurse said:

I had this issue come up last year when renewing my FL Carry permit. I was denied because of a new law some years back called the Firearms Disability act. I was an in patient at the age of 12 and just last year, my records finally made it to the NICs list. I had to go to court to get the record expunged. I did all the work myself and it cost me around $1200 total. If you hire a lawyer it will cost more. I was the first for the courts to have a mental health record expunged in their history as it is very rare. They do get many Criminal cases expunged. 

Wow awesome. Thank you. This is exactly the info I was looking for. The woman at my pd who I’m dealing with promises me I can do this all myself as well. I think I’m going to give it a whirl. I’ll keep y’all posted 

41 minutes ago, Pj.conklin11 said:

Wow awesome. Thank you. This is exactly the info I was looking for. The woman at my pd who I’m dealing with promises me I can do this all myself as well. I think I’m going to give it a whirl. I’ll keep y’all posted 

It does take some time, but I felt it was worth both the time and money so in the future I will not have any issues. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck.