Madds08

NJ gun ownership as a non resident

Hello- 

I'm a resident of pennsylvania and a legal gun owner there. Because of my work I rent a home in NJ and spend alot of time here. I'm trying to find out what is legally required of my to keep one of my guns in my new Jersey home for self defense. I tried reaching out to my local police department but they seem unwilling to help. Ideally I would keep a handgun but open to a shotgun if that is easier with NJ laws. I would of course follow all NJ laws on magazine capacity and transportation. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

11 hours ago, Madds08 said:

I'm trying to find out what is legally required of my to keep one of my guns in my new Jersey home for self defense.

As long as you can show proof of residency per the NJSP guidelines, there's nothing you are legally required to do. 

It's only when you want to purchase firearms and handgun caliber ammo that questions #s 2, & 19 for the NJSP apply. Question #9 in an unicorn and will remain so for ever.

Thanks for the advice this is what I figured from reading the documents but like I said my local pd either has no idea or is trying to discourage me saying I would need to apply for a purchase license ect. I do have a lease and utilities in my name at my NJ location.