Underdog

Coleman Camp Stove

Just picked up an adapter for my 90s Coleman Multi-Fuel Stove.  It works great with Coleman/White Gas and probably could work off of kerosine (if it was heated) and definitely unlead gasoline, but that would foul it up more than the Coleman Fuel and then it would have to be torn down and cleaned.  Now I have the adapter and can use propane as well.  I imagine that the white gas would work better than the propane in cold weather.  Now I just have to get a 5 lb. propane tank to go with it.  It is a very nice and functional stove and easy to work on.  With a little maintenence and some rust preventative the future grandkids will inherit it.   It is a larger sized 2-burner stove.  I would like to come across a used 3-burner stove, eventually.  Does anybody else like these engineering marvels and have used them for camping and hunting and such?    I think the model I have is a Coleman 414.  

The 1 lb. ones are costly and disposable, but convenient, and not really a big deal if you don't use too often.  The 5 lb. tanks probably run about $50 but can be refilled for about $5 dollars with propane (which is cheaper than Coleman fuel).  You would need a propane adapter line from the single-use canisters to a larger 5 or 20 lb. tank as well.  The mult-fuel Coleman gas stoves typically are the newer ones and have gray/silver tanks.  Although, I imagine all older Coleman stoves would run on gasoline, just that they would get more dirty and need to be taken apart and cleaned.  Regular gasoline isn't recommended to use all the time with the multi-fuel stoves, either, as they would need cleaning more frequently as well.  I believe that the generator on the mult-fuel ones was designed a little differently that allows for more fouling and will still function.   

I have a 2-burner propane stove as well, but I like the versatility of the gas stove with the propane adapter.  

Additionally, for someone with one of these old stoves, you can get just about any part needed to make it functional again.  The biggest problem is Rust.  And, if you have a major problem with the Gas Tank/Generator, for about $20 you can get the propane conversion and you still have a functional stove.  

Mine looks similar to the stove in this video, but it is an older one and made a little better:  In the video, the guy should have turned the funnel 180 degrees around when filling up if you watch the video.  Mine is a Coleman 414.  

Here is a video on how to use propane with it:

With a little searching these old workhorse stoves can be picked up for $10-$40.  Since there are a lot of them out there, look for one that isn't too rusty and in good shape and maybe looks like it was maintained.  Just about all can be restored with a little time and energy (and some paint).  Ther are detailed instructiosn and Youtube videos out there for anyone that wants to rebuild/restoren one.  The newer stoves 1971 and newer usually have the date stamped on the bottom.   These stoves are generally still made today, and almost the same as the stoves made in the 50s.  I wouldn't hesitate in getting a pre-multi-fuel stove variety in decent shape.  Essentially there are (3) sizes plus the single burners.  There is a 3-burner stove, which isn't made anymore and is becoming rarer.  That is the one I would like to have, as I could have a griddle on two of the burners and a coffee pot on the third.  The other two are 2-burner models.  One is a larger one that can accomodate both a 10 and 12" pot at the same time.  The larger ones are Coleman 413s and 414s (multi) and the smaller ones are 424 (multi) and 425s and the 3-burner is a Coleman 426 variety.  

Your propane stove should last a long time and is an awesome one to get as well, used.   I have a lot of memories with my Dad using his old propane stove.  I am sure he still has it somewhere.  

These stoves a a great thing to have on your deck, for prepping, and for camping.  I love simple, old, well-built things made in the USA.  

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I have an adapter to refill my 1lb tanks from my 20lb'ers.  It generally works.

I'd be careful doing that and I am not sure what the transport laws are.  You can buy refillable 1 lb. tanks if you do that process carefully, but from what I understand, tthe single use 1 pounders weren't really designed for refilling.  I looked into that and the 5 lb standard tank made more sense.

Do you have any special camping recipes you would care to share?    Here is my newest recipe that I made last autumn while camping.

13 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Msr dragon for the win

I got the jetboil as a gift and really like it but I always buy MSR equipment because they make great stuff and are a really good company.

I got a free pair of snow shoes for my daughter but all the straps were dry rotted. I called to get a replacement. The girl that helped me said normally it would be 18 bucks for new straps but "kids are awesome and need to get outside so I'm sending them for free" 

Her sending me 18 bucks worth of straps now gained a customer for life so I went out and bought MSR snow shoes for my wife and I and they weren't cheap. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 9:57 AM, Zeke said:

Msr dragon for the win

I have a number of MSR stoves.  The only one I bought new was a 1st gen. Whisperlite.   I don't use it much and it stays in my truck kit.  It's not the multi-fuel version, but I am sure it would burn unleaded in a pinch.  I much prefer my Simmerlite and its caniser fuel twin, the Windpro II.  The Windpro goes on most day hikes and such and takes canisters.  I have a Rapidfire as well that also uses canisters instead of white gas.  Zeke, the Dragonfly is too noisy but would work better than the others with larger pots.  The Windpro/Simmerlite works the best with smaller pots.  

The Colemans are for family car camping, though.  I have finally picked up a 3-burner 426D and restored it and love it... one burner for a percolator and the other two for a griddle.  

• Agree 2