LawTalkingGuy

Finally got My FID Card

So I finally got my FID card and am looking to buy my first handgun.  Everything I've read recommended first going to the range and renting a few before buying.  However, with ranges still closed, and my itch to buy something not going away, I was wondering if I were making a mistake by buying something without actually using it.   Thoughts?  

It's won't be a mistake as long as you buy a quality pistol. Do you have any gun experience? Do know the difference between action types such as Striker Fired and Hammer Fired, double action, single action, and DA/SA? Manual safety, no manual safety? Do you know about calibers and what caliber you want?

I have noticed most first time buyers buy a Beretta 92FS.

The most popular pistol(s) in the US is the Glock 19/17. 

If you just need to scratch that itch right now, I would go for a Glock 19 Gen 5.

BTW, did you get a pistol purchase permit, or just your FID?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LawTalkingGuy said:

I was wondering if I were making a mistake by buying something without actually using it

Potentially. You can always go to the store, handle it and ASK if it's ok to dry fire it once or twice. Some may let you, others may not. Some may load it with snap caps, others won't care. Go to several different places and give them a spin.

Just realize, while there are no bad guns, some just won't fit you right, won't feel right, you won't shoot right, the trigger is just not quite there for you. 

Nothing replaces having shot it before. If it was easy in NJ to buy and sell guns, I would say to go in blindly. But in NJ, I would recommend to proceed with some caution and do the most you can to assure you'll end up with something you are happy with.

Barring that, we have a swap and sell section here. There's an abundance of members  that would be happy to relieve of your "mistake"; for a deep discount, of course.

1 minute ago, diamondd817 said:

It's won't be a mistake as long as you buy a quality pistol. Do you have any gun experience? Do know the difference between action types such as Striker Fired and Hammer Fired, double action, single action, and DA/SA? Manual safety, no manual safety? Do you know about calibers and what caliber you want?

I have noticed most first time buyers buy a Beretta 92FS.

The most popular pistol(s) in the US is the Glock 19/17. 

If you just need to scratch that itch right now, I would go for a Glock 19 Gen 5.

I have some experience, only with striker fired (H&K VP9 and Sig P320).  From my research, I want to get a striker fired 9mm,  either a P320, Glock 17, or similar.  I've heard good things about the IWI Masada too.  

5 minutes ago, LawTalkingGuy said:

I have some experience, only with striker fired (H&K VP9 and Sig P320).  From my research, I want to get a striker fired 9mm,  either a P320, Glock 17, or similar.  I've heard good things about the IWI Masada too.  

Glock 17 Gen 5. Can't go wrong with a Glock. Done. 

Unlimited aftermarket parts and accessories. Easy to shoot, easy to maintain, will outlast you, excellent resale value.

• Like 1

It is the best to shoot the gun before buying as everyone says. I've listened to all kind of advises and ended up with 6 hand guns that just collect dust in my safe. I have bought all of them new thus resale value is much worse versus if I had bought them used. I was itching to buy Glocks(19, 18, 30, 34), Sigs(226, 320, 1911), Colt 1911(several models), Ruger SR9, Beretta 92FS. I tried them first though and found that I just cannot shoot them well thus stick to my Walther PPQ M1 and S&W 686 plus revolver. After about 4 years I got an urgency to buy something else and I bought S&W Performance Series revolver and looking to buy Walther PPQ Match because I enjoy shooting and perform well with PPQ and S&W revolver platform. 

Here is the link to used Glock17 for $300, it is much better than buying for $600 new.

19 hours ago, LawTalkingGuy said:

The Glock and the sig are different breeds of cat. Sig 320 fits me better then the glocks. I’ve gone through the purchase and then play game. In your experience what did you shoot the best? Go with that.

And welcome to the fold

I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the VP9?

Try to rent and or shoot whatever you want to buy, as that will really allow you to "experience" the differences between the many striker fired plastic guns out there.

If you can't rent (or find a buddy) and try them out, just being able to hold them and ensure they are a good fit (i.e. trigger reach, control placement) will go a long way. Other than that, most of the major brands stand behind their product on the rare occasion that you have an issue.

Beyond actually buying your first gun, buy snap caps. You need to practice and feel confident that you can safely handle a pistol before you hit the range. There are many excellent videos on YouTube which explain how to load, unload, hold and discharge a firearm. If you are not comfortable with those manipulations, then a class may be in order.

Welcome to the sport (read addiction).

38 minutes ago, Vicious said:

I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the VP9?

Try to rent and or shoot whatever you want to buy, as that will really allow you to "experience" the differences between the many striker fired plastic guns out there.

If you can't rent (or find a buddy) and try them out, just being able to hold them and ensure they are a good fit (i.e. trigger reach, control placement) will go a long way. Other than that, most of the major brands stand behind their product on the rare occasion that you have an issue.

Beyond actually buying your first gun, buy snap caps. You need to practice and feel confident that you can safely handle a pistol before you hit the range. There are many excellent videos on YouTube which explain how to load, unload, hold and discharge a firearm. If you are not comfortable with those manipulations, then a class may be in order.

Welcome to the sport (read addiction).

The VP9 was fine, but from what I've read, the IWI is very similar and significantly cheaper.  Also, I only just approval from the Mrs. to finally get a pistol, so the times I've gone shooting, I wasn't really paying attention to what I would prefer to get myself.  Hopefully the lawsuit that was filed last week leads to the ranges opening up quickly, so I can try before I buy.  I'm only really concerned about the gun being a good fit for my hand.  

Thanks for the recommendations regarding snap caps.  I was planning on taking a class anyways, but I think snap caps are a good idea anyways.  

13 minutes ago, LawTalkingGuy said:

The VP9 was fine, but from what I've read, the IWI is very similar and significantly cheaper.  Also, I only just approval from the Mrs. to finally get a pistol, so the times I've gone shooting, I wasn't really paying attention to what I would prefer to get myself.  Hopefully the lawsuit that was filed last week leads to the ranges opening up quickly, so I can try before I buy.  I'm only really concerned about the gun being a good fit for my hand.  

Thanks for the recommendations regarding snap caps.  I was planning on taking a class anyways, but I think snap caps are a good idea anyways.  

I can’t say much about IWI, and yes the VP9 is a bit more expensive, but they have a great track record.

Optics ready, 10 round mags:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/642230259973

Lotta stores sold out, but you can set a price alert.

Buy once, cry once.

2 minutes ago, Vicious said:

I can’t say much about IWI, and yes the VP9 is a bit more expensive, but they have a great track record.

Optics ready, 10 round mags:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/642230259973

Lotta stores sold out, but you can set a price alert.

Buy once, cry once.

I'm crying at the prices already.  I'm also still learning about the laws re: buying from out of state.  

13 minutes ago, LawTalkingGuy said:

I'm crying at the prices already.  I'm also still learning about the laws re: buying from out of state.  

Any online firearm purchases will have to ship to a NJ FFL for transfer. 

If you go to an out of state dealer (say a gun show in PA) you may buy long guns (rifles and shotguns) and take possession on the spot. Handguns will need to be shipped back to a NJ FFL for transfer (i.e. you can purchase the handgun there, but you may not take possession. The out of state dealer will have to ship it to a NJ FFL for you).

As far as crying about the prices, just save up and get what you really want the first time. Anything less and you won’t be satisfied, and you will probably end up going through the selling to fund next purchase loop.

I would also recommend to stay away from the exotic calibers as the price of ammo will decide for you how often will you practice at the range. Unless you want to reload your own ammo.  For semiauto I would start with 9mm.

As everyone else said, if you can't actually shoot it make sure it at least feels good in your hands.  When handling it and dry firing in the store, remember to treat it as if it were loaded and make sure you are not pointing it at anyone - always in a safe direction. :)

You can learn to shoot any gun well, feeling good or not in your hand has nothing to do with it.  

I have a S&W 686 4" that feels awkward in my hand, but I can shoot the nuts off a squirrel at 50yds with it. 

I'm still going to recommend the Glock 17 Gen 5 or Gen 4 for a striker fired autoloader. They're not the most popular guns in the world for LE, Military, Competition, and Civilians for no reason.