Iceyywings

New Member from Bridgewater

Just joined the forum today.  Got my FID a few weeks ago and purchased my first firearm, a Sig P320 M17.  This is a great site with a ton of info on it.  Looking forward to getting into a new hobby...  Besides my new interest, I'm into classic muscle cars, boats, and fishing.  Figured I'd add guns to the list.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Iceyywings said:

I'm into classic muscle cars, boats, and fishing.  Figured I'd add guns to the list.  

Of course, because  just one or three expensive hobbies are  never enough.

Welcome to the forum.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:04 PM, Iceyywings said:

Just joined the forum today.  Got my FID a few weeks ago and purchased my first firearm, a Sig P320 M17.  This is a great site with a ton of info on it.  Looking forward to getting into a new hobby...  Besides my new interest, I'm into classic muscle cars, boats, and fishing.  Figured I'd add guns to the list.  

Welcome! I just bought an M17 as well, it’s at the FFL now waiting for NICS. 

Welcome!  How long did the FID take?  I'm about 20 days in to my last permit application.  I'm in Bridgewater too btw.

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Welcome!  How long did the FID take?  I'm about 20 days in to my last permit application.  I'm in Bridgewater too btw.

took me about 3 months to get permits from Bridgewater during this pandemic. I applied in February and they were ready for pickup in May

Welcome from dunellen!

On 6/21/2020 at 9:56 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Welcome from dunellen!

I am also from Dunellen! I am a member at RTSP & really like the store in Union. Just waiting for His Royal Highness, Emperor Philip I to grant us his permission to go use the ranges again. I bought my last few handguns from Garden State Armory in Warren. Great store. Last year I bought 2 "previously owned" but never fired handguns from them. I have been going to them since soon after they opened at least 6 years ago. 

Edited by 1brentenfan
misspelled words in my post.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1brentenfan said:

I am also from Dunellen! I am a member at RTSP & really like the store in Union. Just waiting for His Royal Highness, Emperor Philip I to grant us his permission to go use the ranges again. I bought my last few handguns from Garden State Armory in Warren. Great store. Last year I bought 2 "previously owned" but never fired handguns from them. I have been going to them since soon after they opened at least 6 years ago. 

Small world. How is rtsp? I heard the range safety officers are kinda dooshers.

The few times that I have used the range, I did not have any problems with them. When I went in January, I was talking to one of the safety officers about my Ruger SR 1911 10mm, which is one of the 2 guns I bought at G S A. I would guess that the safety officer must have realized that I am not a safety problem that they would have to keep a very close eye on. Other than that one brief conversation with one of them, I have not really heard anything else, good or bad. 

20 minutes ago, 1brentenfan said:

The few times that I have used the range, I did not have any problems with them. When I went in January, I was talking to one of the safety officers about my Ruger SR 1911 10mm, which is one of the 2 guns I bought at G S A. I would guess that the safety officer must have realized that I am not a safety problem that they would have to keep a very close eye on. Other than that one brief conversation with one of them, I have not really heard anything else, good or bad. 

Is it really one shot every 3 seconds? 

That is a good question. I do not recall seeing anything like that listed on their range rules. I will have to ask the next time that I do go there, hopefully very soon. Only thing I would guess is that they would not want someone to blow away a 10 shot magazine in 10 seconds, and find no holes in the target. 

27 minutes ago, 1brentenfan said:

That is a good question. I do not recall seeing anything like that listed on their range rules. I will have to ask the next time that I do go there, hopefully very soon. Only thing I would guess is that they would not want someone to blow away a 10 shot magazine in 10 seconds, and find no holes in the target. 

Haha yeah thats not my style either. I know shooters and heritage guild are 1 shot per second, seems reasonable.  I'll give rtsp a chance before i choose something. My biggest reason for choosing heritage guild is cause pa is slightly more of a free state. 

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Do y’all norf joisey guys stay out of Bayonne?

My gps is saying bayonne is like 40 minutes away. Im fine with driving that for a range day. 

Just now, Heavyopp said:

Dunellen — I grew up in Dunellen, graduated high school class of 1987 — 42 of us in that class 

I live in middlesex now

How long you guys been in Dunellen?

I was born in dunellen in 1987. Lived here until about 24, moved to ny, then north Carolina, and then moved back here for my girlfriend. Small world

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, Krdshrk said:

Took about 2 months total, but I started the process right when they shut the nics down for a bit.  The additional hold up with with employment verification, everyone was working from home so no one to in the office to get mail.  Bridgewater is pretty good, they pushed it through for me given the current situation.  Ultimately it took a little longer than I think it normally would have or should have...

3 hours ago, Iceyywings said:

Took about 2 months total, but I started the process right when they shut the nics down for a bit.  The additional hold up with with employment verification, everyone was working from home so no one to in the office to get mail.  Bridgewater is pretty good, they pushed it through for me given the current situation.  Ultimately it took a little longer than I think it normally would have or should have...

Yeah - last time I did permits it took 19 days.  When I applied this past time I was unemployed at the time so hopefully that skips the employment check...

23 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Yeah - last time I did permits it took 19 days.  When I applied this past time I was unemployed at the time so hopefully that skips the employment check...

I waited until the 30 day mark, then emailed BPD and inquired on the status.  Made sure I was clear that I was not complaining about the duration, didn't want to piss anyone off.  Rob, who handles their permits was very responsive and worked it out for me.  They seemed pretty easy to work with so if you think an employment check is holding you up, I'd email them and ask for a status check.  When I got my permits they were signed by an active chief, so that may also be a bit of a challenge.  

24 minutes ago, Iceyywings said:

I waited until the 30 day mark, then emailed BPD and inquired on the status.  Made sure I was clear that I was not complaining about the duration, didn't want to piss anyone off.  Rob, who handles their permits was very responsive and worked it out for me.  They seemed pretty easy to work with so if you think an employment check is holding you up, I'd email them and ask for a status check.  When I got my permits they were signed by an active chief, so that may also be a bit of a challenge.  

Thanks.  I'll check with Rob next week then if I don't hear anything.  I applied June 1st so it hasn't been 30 days yet.  

39 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Fun fact it was actually one of the first dine in novie theaters in the country. 

I used to live down that way; loved the theater.    Brilliant strategy on the part of the owners.   The single-screen theater was being killed by the multiplexes.  The restaurant, owned by the same family and occupying the other half of the building, was doing ok.  So they knocked out the wall separating the theater lobby from the restaurant, and replaced every other row of theater seats with tables.  You could order from the restaurant/bar, and they'd bring the food to you in the theater.

My son was young at the time, and I quickly learned that children's movie matinees are a lot more enjoyable if there is draft beer available.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:47 PM, Handyman said:

Is the Dunellen Theater still around?

Yes, the Dunellen Theater is still around. Hopefully it will be reopening very soon. I used to go to Zupko's tavern all the time & sit outside having a few beers & hot buffalo wings. Or the very thin crust pizza is also excellent. I can walk to Zupko's tavern in about 10 minutes from my house to have some (or many) beers, & not have to worry about driving home.