Cheflife15

Next pistol

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

This is my thought process. Ammo is so expensive im just not interested in a 45 yet. 

Why I got into reloading .45 acp when I was shooting 3-gun bullseye. 

A 185 grain semi-wadcutter pushed by a few grains of Bullseye powder can be very cheap shooting.

@Cheflife15 I'll throw my 2 cents in regarding revolvers. I'm not as devoted to them as @Pizza Bob but still like them.  I carry one for SD often.

Most people are turned off by revolvers because the trigger is heavier that SA and striker fires semiautos.  They're looking for instant success.  Shooting a revolver DA is harder than most semiautos.  You need to develop your finger and hand muscles to shoot a revolver well.

Back in the old days I've found that people who spend a lot of time gripping something, a hammer or someone into martial arts, picked up a revolver quicker because their grip and finger muscles were developed.  Roofers, before nailguns, had a really good grip.  40 hrs plus a week of swinging a hammer was how they developed it.

Nonetheless, I've seen people who never fired a gun before be issued a brand new service revolver out of the box and in a week qualify expert.  That included shooting out to 50 yards with a 2" 38 special.

Many are intrigued with action jobs and light trigger pulls.  There are 3 jobs those effect.  Reliability, trigger pull, and function.  A really light main spring will effect reliabity.  A lighter trigger return spring effects function.

When one gets more experience in revolvers you learn smooth is more important than light in a trigger.  Renowned pistol erosion Jim Cirillo would say the best way to smooth out a trigger is to dry fire the revolver a 1000 times.  Not only will you smooth out the trigger but you'll develop your hand and finger muscles.

I see people brag about the action job they did resulting in a 4 1/2 pound trigger.  Of course that's not reliable with all ammo.  Austin Behlert, one of the most talented pistolsmiths of all time, used to do an 8 lb trigger that was reliable with all ammo.  Maybe the guy who does the 4 1/2 lb trigger has learned a way to defy the laws of physics.

A 4" 357 is about the most versatile handgun made.  You can do just about anything with it.  You can match the power level with a lit of semiauto calibers but you can't go lower than the semiauto will function.  You can get an assortment of lower powered ammo for the 357 and that is a good place to learn how to shoot a DA revolver.

If you learn to shoot a DA revolver well everything else is easy.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@Cheflife15 I'll throw my 2 cents in regarding revolvers. I'm not as devoted to them as @Pizza Bob but still like them.  I carry one for SD often.

Most people are turned off by revolvers because the trigger is heavier that SA and striker fires semiautos.  They're looking for instant success.  Shooting a revolver DA is harder than most semiautos.  You need to develop your finger and hand muscles to shoot a revolver well.

Back in the old days I've found that people who spend a lot of time gripping something, a hammer or someone into martial arts, picked up a revolver quicker because their grip and finger muscles were developed.  Roofers, before nailguns, had a really good grip.  40 hrs plus a week of swinging a hammer was how they developed it.

Nonetheless, I've seen people who never fired a gun before be issued a brand new service revolver out of the box and in a week qualify expert.  That included shooting out to 50 yards with a 2" 38 special.

Many are intrigued with action jobs and light trigger pulls.  There are 3 jobs those effect.  Reliability, trigger pull, and function.  A really light main spring will effect reliabity.  A lighter trigger return spring effects function.

When one gets more experience in revolvers you learn smooth is more important than light in a trigger.  Renowned pistol erosion Jim Cirillo would say the best way to smooth out a trigger is to dry fire the revolver a 1000 times.  Not only will you smooth out the trigger but you'll develop your hand and finger muscles.

I see people brag about the action job they did resulting in a 4 1/2 pound trigger.  Of course that's not reliable with all ammo.  Austin Behlert, one of the most talented pistolsmiths of all time, used to do an 8 lb trigger that was reliable with all ammo.  Maybe the guy who does the 4 1/2 lb trigger has learned a way to defy the laws of physics.

A 4" 357 is about the most versatile handgun made.  You can do just about anything with it.  You can match the power level with a lit of semiauto calibers but you can't go lower than the semiauto will function.  You can get an assortment of lower powered ammo for the 357 and that is a good place to learn how to shoot a DA revolver.

If you learn to shoot a DA revolver well everything else is easy.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this 100%. I grew up with revolvers and still shoot my DA/SA revolvers in DA most of the time. I shoot my DAO Beretta 92D Centurion a lot better that I shoot the 92FS.  I like the feel of DAO and shoot it well. Learning to shoot a revolver in DA is a great way to learn to shoot well.

Words of wisdom from another old fart (no offense Griz).

Your talk of people who swung a hammer triggered a  couple memories. I mentioned shooting IPSC in the 80's. The club that I shot with is where Doug Koenig got his start (if you don't know who he is, go crawl back under your rock). He was 17 and worked for his father doing home construction. He learned to hammer ambidextrously so he wouldn't get tendonitis in his strong side and so he could shoot with both hands. Must have worked.

Also a member of that same club was Austin Behlert's son and also Les Baer. Austin's son now owns a sports memorabilia store in Lahaska, PA (Peddler's Village). We all know what became of Les.

I know that I've told this Austin Behlert story before. I can’t vouch for the truthfulness of it, but it is one of my favorites...

Austin was set-up behind the line at Camp Perry one year, doing some gunsmithing. A distraught competitor ran up to his tent and explained that he was due on the line shortly and he had just noticed that his front sight was bent.

Austin took the gun from him, examined it and confirmed that the sight was, indeed, bent. “Can you fix it?” inquired the owner, hopefully. Austin told him to pick-up the gun, grip it as he normally would, extend it out to a firing position and turn his head. The owner complied, at which point Austin picked-up a brass mallet from the bench and whacked the front sight, nearly knocking the gun out of the owner’s hands.

The owner went ballistic, screaming, “What have you done?” to which Austin calmly replied, “Look down the sights,” which the owner did. “Is it straight?” inquired Austin. After looking at the sights the incredulous owner said, “Yes, yes they are”, to which Austin replied, “That’ll be $15.” The owner protests, “$15? That’s highway robbery. All you did was hit it with a hammer.” Austin looked at him and said, “It’s only $5 for hitting it with a hammer, but $10 for knowing how hard.”

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Words of wisdom from another old fart (no offense Griz).

Your talk of people who swung a hammer triggered a  couple memories. I mentioned shooting IPSC in the 80's. The club that I shot with is where Doug Koenig got his start (if you don't know who he is, go crawl back under your rock). He was 17 and worked for his father doing home construction. He learned to hammer ambidextrously so he wouldn't get tendonitis in his strong side and so he could shoot with both hands. Must have worked.

Also a member of that same club was Austin Behlert's son and also Les Baer. Austin's son now owns a sports memorabilia store in Lahaska, PA (Peddler's Village). We all know what became of Les.

I know that I've told this Austin Behlert story before. I can’t vouch for the truthfulness of it, but it is one of my favorites...

Austin was set-up behind the line at Camp Perry one year, doing some gunsmithing. A distraught competitor ran up to his tent and explained that he was due on the line shortly and he had just noticed that his front sight was bent.

Austin took the gun from him, examined it and confirmed that the sight was, indeed, bent. “Can you fix it?” inquired the owner, hopefully. Austin told him to pick-up the gun, grip it as he normally would, extend it out to a firing position and turn his head. The owner complied, at which point Austin picked-up a brass mallet from the bench and whacked the front sight, nearly knocking the gun out of the owner’s hands.

The owner went ballistic, screaming, “What have you done?” to which Austin calmly replied, “Look down the sights,” which the owner did. “Is it straight?” inquired Austin. After looking at the sights the incredulous owner said, “Yes, yes they are”, to which Austin replied, “That’ll be $15.” The owner protests, “$15? That’s highway robbery. All you did was hit it with a hammer.” Austin looked at him and said, “It’s only $5 for hitting it with a hammer, but $10 for knowing how hard.”

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You've told that story before but still good to hear it.

When Austin was on The Boulevard in Kenilworth I overheard a conversation.  He had the price of a standard action job listed as $35.  This was when a really good job paid $10,000  a year,  you could buy a new car for under $3000, and a Model 27 S&W cost $185.  Someone commented "that's a lot for an action job".  Austin responded, "$5 for the labor and $30 for knowing how".

He used that line often.