El Jefe

Gun on a boat : )

18 hours ago, Peter Goldwing said:

" If you are in Florida waters and you have a gun license in Florida, you are good to go. If you cross into International Waters, that very same gun is now illegal to have on your boat."

I don't know where this came from.

You can legally open carry in FL if you are engaged in fishing, hunting, or camping.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.floridatoday.com/amp/1639218001

If you're going into international waters firearms possession is dependent on the laws of the country the vessel is flagged in.  You'll need to come to port sometime and then the laws of other countries and different states come into play.

For example if you go from FL to the Bahamas you can have pistols and shotguns on your boat but you have to keep them locked up in port and you can't take them ashore.

https://bs.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/boating-in-the-bahamas/

36 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Isn't the coast guard only supposed to operate in American waters?

No, they can board any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world at any time for any reason. 

They are responsible for the majority of the rescues in international waters close enough to be reached from a coast guard base or patrolling ship.

17 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Isn't the coast guard only supposed to operate in American waters?

No, the USCG will operate where ever they are needed.  During Vietnam they operated off the coast.  You want the premier  service for Search and Rescue, you call the Coast Guard.

The USCG has operated worldwide wherever there is a mission for them for years. A friend of mine in the Coast Guatd spent some time off the west Coast of South America on a drug interdiction mission recently.  Later he was assigned to a new cutter in Hawaii which patrolled most of the Pacific.

16 hours ago, fishnut said:

No, they can board any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world at any time for any reason. 

They are responsible for the majority of the rescues in international waters close enough to be reached from a coast guard base or patrolling ship.

100% correct.

They can also board foreign flag vessels in international waters with permission from that government.  Some countries have given blanket permission to board any vessel flying their flag on mere suspicion of drug smuggling activity.  USCG can also board stateless vessels (not flying a flag or displaying a home port) anywhere.

• Agree 1

You might be correct but the're not in there to enforce state laws. If they get you with MANY guns well packaged as in for sale they might call ATF. If Its your legal gun in FL and you go offshore fishing nobody is going to bother you for your pistol or shot gun. In fact you dont violate ANY federal or state laws

On 6/21/2020 at 9:17 AM, Old Glock guy said:

I’m kind of surprised no one else has mentioned this yet, but of course guns are allowed on boats. How else are you going to lose them in a boating accident?  

That’s what happened to all my firearms.  Damned boats. 

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:36 PM, Peter Goldwing said:

You might be correct but the're not in there to enforce state laws. If they get you with MANY guns well packaged as in for sale they might call ATF. If Its your legal gun in FL and you go offshore fishing nobody is going to bother you for your pistol or shot gun. In fact you dont violate ANY federal or state laws

Trust me I know.  I was a Fed.  We didn't go out to enforce state laws. Sometimes some one would question our authority and fail the test.

So the Coast Guard board my boat of the coast of Fl in international waters and confiscate my gun because breaking an international law. Im sure such law doesn't even exists. What court would they take you to prove their case. The Hague? Go tell any nation that has  a   navy to leave their guns at home.

"having various firearms in your car is illegal"

Where did he come up with this from. Is it illegal to have in my car my Beretta an a AR15? or a shotgun and my Bersa?That article was useless

23 hours ago, Peter Goldwing said:

So the Coast Guard board my boat of the coast of Fl in international waters and confiscate my gun because breaking an international law. Im sure such law doesn't even exists. What court would they take you to prove their case. The Hague? Go tell any nation that has  a   navy to leave their guns at home.

"having various firearms in your car is illegal"

Where did he come up with this from. Is it illegal to have in my car my Beretta an a AR15? or a shotgun and my Bersa?That article was useless

No, you would not be breaking international law by having a firearm aboard a boat in international waters. Infact most boats that venture out that far have firearms on board. 

I was on a boat that was boarded by the coast guard in international waters in the Caribbean. They asked where the hins were stored and checked the compartmet, saw the cases but didn't even open them up. They checked everyone's paperwork and safety gear and were on their way in less than 30 mins. They told us to be careful because there was allot of cocane smuggling going on in the area we were in. 

No one gave 2 shits that we had guns on board 

• Agree 1

Here's all you really need to know.  Every time a gun owner brings a gun on a boat there seems to be an incident leading to loss of firearms.  If you don't want to lose your guns in a boating accident :icon_e_wink: then don't bring your firearms on a boat.  

• Like 1