1 hour ago, Kevin125 said:

I have a friend still waiting. Initial application on June 19th I believe.  I got the ref email on the 23rd and did it immediately.  So a little past 2 months in a town I only had to wait longer than 30 days once.

Even though the workload must be higher now due to the volume of apps, you’d think eliminating physical handling of at least some of the material would speed up the process.  I wish they would realize this is not an efficient use of resources and tax dollars.  They get all their restrictions with a simple NICS check.

I haven’t used the new system yet for pistol permits but I suppose I will soon.

The other thing I’ve noticed from what my friend relays is there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to get status.  He had said local PD told him all they can do it wait.  That seems like a shift backwards.  Bummer.

I submitted June 1st and got them last week - 78 days.  Seems about right.  However, if he submitted the 19th, you should have gotten the reference email immediately - it goes out right after the application.  I did my buddy's application immediately after he submitted 6/3.

I’m not certain about the submission date.  It could have been the day I got the email. 
I think an email for the reference stuff probably helps speed things up under normal circumstances.  Its a lot easier to get it done and back to whoever reviews it than snail mail and paper. 

On 8/14/2020 at 9:57 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i called my towns pd today. i didn't call to find out when my permits would be ready, 'cause i know things are screwy right now. i called to find out how things proceed now since i got the email from the portal that their background check was done.

i told the lady that i wasn't calling to be "that guy", then started asking her questions. she spent a good 15 minutes on the phone chatting with me. she even went to check to see exactly where my application was, without me asking her to. in my town, there's 78 people in front of me. there's 2 detectives that do these as time permits. that's actually better than a few years ago when there was only 1 detective doing it.

she spent the time talking about how the number of applications has exploded, mostly due to the current events. she'd also mentioned something else that i believe slows down the process. she feels that with the online application, people that would fail a background check seem to be applying more, since they don't have to come in to the dept. at this point i mentioned to her that i'd rather it still be that way....that i felt a thousand times more comfortable filling out the application, coming down to the station and handing it to an officer.

anyway.......sadly i've still got a wait. one of my 2 permits is taken by a g19. i'm not sure what my second permit's gonna be used on as yet......

just hung up with pd. still 43 in front of me.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

just hung up with pd. still 43 in front of me.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm not sure what my second permit's gonna be used on as yet......

At this rate, you'll be able to use the second permit on a working Phaser!!

• Haha 1

While FARS has added some transparency to the system, it begs for more. I believe that the hold-up in 99% of the cases is at the local PD level. I believe that the local PD is still being tasked with doing some kind of background check on the applicants once they clear the FARS system.

Without the above transparency, we have no idea what that entails or how it is conducted. If you are known to the local PD and are a frequent firearms purchaser (ahem) they may not do a complete background check or waive it altogether. They probably have some latitude so the checks may be cursory in nature - who know?

I have heard rumors that they will be eliminating the paper permits and going fully electronic. Once you are approved and you are at the point of purchase, the FFL will simply download your pre-approved permit. That still doesn't tell us it it eliminates the local investigation component, but it will lessen our trips to the PD.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Called my local PD to inquire and was told by detective that he’s waiting on the captain to sign off. A little over 30 days - not bad. Was also told he new exactly who I am and that I’m considered a frequent flyer with these permits. Strange since the last time I requested permits was in January. Guess not a whole lot of folks in my town that care for pistols? 

18 minutes ago, Zabuca said:

Called my local PD to inquire and was told by detective that he’s waiting on the captain to sign off. A little over 30 days - not bad. Was also told he new exactly who I am and that I’m considered a frequent flyer with these permits. Strange since the last time I requested permits was in January. Guess not a whole lot of folks in my town that care for pistols? 

When you get your own parking spot outside the P.D. like @Pizza Bob has, then you're a frequent flyer.