Shepherd9

Alexandria VA Bans Guns on Public Property

Painful and unwelcome news, Alexandria is where I earned my "bones" so to speak. Conceal carry in Alexandria and VA in general is accepted and widely practiced, but Alexandria does tend to house those of the anti-gun ilk. On a positive note though, Alexandria does not represent the entirety of VA, which is vehemently pro-conceal carry. Even with the change, Alexandria still beats "Joisey" in terms of safety and cost of living. I spent a lot of time in Alexandria, it will always have a place in my heart. :giveheart:.  Jersey on the other hand :gay:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marlintag said:

Painful and unwelcome news, Alexandria is where I earned my "bones" so to speak. Conceal carry in Alexandria and VA in general is accepted and widely practiced, but Alexandria does tend to house those of the anti-gun ilk. On a positive note though, Alexandria does not represent the entirety of VA, which is vehemently pro-conceal carry. Even with the change, Alexandria still beats "Joisey" in terms of safety and cost of living. I spent a lot of time in Alexandria, it will always have a place in my heart. :giveheart:.  Jersey on the other hand :gay:

and like NJ, the urban centers will make the rules for the rest of us.  VA is done - just like NJ.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

and like NJ, the urban centers will make the rules for the rest of us.  VA is done - just like NJ.

I have to disagree with you on this. The overwhelming majority of VA is a 2A sanctuary (unlike Joisey) and the people down there are aggressive in defending their right to carry. They have shown tremendous unity and activism since "Blackface" and his legislature took over. If they keep the energy up and remember to vote in their next election, then I don't see why they can't avert the fate that happened to us. They are nothing like the nebbish, quarrelsome, and complacent gun owners here. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, marlintag said:

I have to disagree with you on this. The overwhelming majority of VA is a 2A sanctuary (unlike Joisey) and the people down there are aggressive in defending their right to carry. They have shown tremendous unity and activism since "Blackface" and his legislature took over. If they keep the energy up and remember to vote in their next election, then I don't see why they can't avert the fate that happened to us. They are nothing like the nebbish, quarrelsome, and complacent gun owners here. 

What are you talking about?

I get that you're trying to be cute/clever but VA has already started passing legislation that's taking down the road NJ has paved.

11 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

What are you talking about?

I get that you're trying to be cute/clever but VA has already started passing legislation that's taking down the road NJ has paved.

There is one major difference. In NJ once a gun law is enacted it is never rescinded.  In VA anti 2A guns have been undone.  This has happened before. Laws like this were overturned in 2002 in VA along with other anti 2A laws.  People here are pissed and the next election will decide whether or not anti-2A laws will stand. If the Republicans take back the state, then the anti 2A laws will be overturned.  It seems to be much easier to make a difference in VA because the majority of the state is pro 2A and gun ownership is very high.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

There is one major difference. In NJ once a gun law is enacted it is never rescinded.  In VA anti 2A guns have been undone.  This has happened before. Laws like this were overturned in 2002 in VA along with other anti 2A laws.  People here are pissed and the next election will decide whether or not anti-2A laws will stand. If the Republicans take back the state, then the anti 2A laws will be overturned.  It seems to be much easier to make a difference in VA because the majority of the state is pro 2A and gun ownership is very high.  

How does it look for Nov?  are there enough local seats up for re-election for conservatives to take a majority?  

3 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

How does it look for Nov?  are there enough local seats up for re-election for conservatives to take a majority?  

The VA Republican party seems to be very incompetent.  I couldn't believe that they let so many seats go uncontested last election.  I hope that we can gain either the Senate or House of Delegates back (or both).  I live in the most conservative district in the state.  I am hoping that the recent lawlessness seen in Richmond has an affect on voters in those areas.

22 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

19 hours ago, marlintag said:

I hope you're right.  We won't know for sure until November 2021.