MartyZ

Hiking gear

So I have been sitting on my ass for the last 3 months, as have many others i'd imagine, so I need some exercise. I want to take up hiking because just walking 20 times around the block is boring as hell. So, I need some advise on what equipment should I and can I take hiking. I know water, med/trauma kit, bug spray. But what about other equipment? Protection from bears? knives, camping axes, extra clothes, etc..., what is allowed, what is not?

I live near Monmouth battlefield state park, so I will be hiking there most often, maybe turkey swamp, and other surrounding areas.

I ussually just being a knife and water with me hiking. A nice pair of Solomon hiking boots and appropriate clothing for the adventure. Deet spray for my shoes and pants. Off deep woods for exposed skin. 

I'm very familiar with my hiking spots so I don't bring much.

• Like 1

I, too have been doing a lot of hiking lately. I have a dedicated pack I set up just for day hikes, and in it, in addition to water and lunch, I keep:

A small first-aid kit

A battery-based charger for my phone

A multitool

Small flashlight

Pen

Compass

Deep Woods Off towelettes

Butt wipes and some TP/paper towels

Face Wipes

Small pair of binoculars

Lighter/fire starter

I usually download a trail map of wherever I am going

I’ll pack a disposable poncho if the weather looks “iffy”

I also carry a pocket knife in my pocket, and my phone.

Reading glasses and sun glasses

Kimber pepper blaster (my pack has a specific pocket for a handgun, but this is NJ)

If it’s rocky and uneven (like the Sourland mountains) I’ll bring a trekking pole (I’m 63 and have some back problems).

This may sound like a lot, but it all fits in a very small backpack. And doesn’t weigh much at all.   I used to carry more (space blanket, “survival gear”, etc.) but for most of the hiking I do in NJ if I just keep walking, I’ll get to civilization. Used to do a lot of backpacking, so I am pretty conscious of excess weight. 

And the most important thing – good boots!

If you are looking to expand your horizons, I recommend “AMC’s best day hikes in NJ”, available on Amazon. You can also download the Alltrails app to your phone. The app uses your phone’s GPS, so you can actually find your way if you somehow get off the trail.  Have some fun and get off the couch!

Are you planing on camping?

51 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Protection from bears? knives, camping axes, extra clothes, etc..., what is allowed, what is not?

Don't bother with any of that.

Since January, I've day hiked the Appalacian trail from Weiders Gap, PA to 2 miles north of Macedonia Rd, Kent, CT. I've also hiked the Highlands trail from Cornwall on Hudson, NY to the Voorhees state park, Lebanon. It's not unusual for me to be in the trails for 7-8 hours summer and winter.

Plus a bunch of other more local hikes.

I'm not telling all this to show you how great of a hiker I am, because I'm not, but just to give you some context.

My "gear";

Bag: It's is a little too small for winter. I'll be looking to replace it for something a little biger.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019TT9MYM?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

I carry a pentagonia puffy, north face rain jacket, some para cord, mylar blanket, pocket knife, flashlight and headlight (extra batteries for both), extra Tshirt and socks, first aid kit, about 3k calories of nuts and power bars,  toilet paper, small mirror 

Water--

During the winter I can carry enough water for the day ( 2 or 3 litters) 

Summer--I use a swayer water filter that screws right into smart water bottles and fill them  up at any nice stream.

Shoes-

Winter--I wear hiking shoes

Summer--Altra lone peak trail runners.

11 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I'm not planning on camping but if i'm out for an extended period of time I might consider taking a rest and maybe building a small fire.

Be aware of fire restrictions. Don't be the guy that starts a fire right next to the "no fires" signs.

Pack a lighter, hand sanitizer and a couple of cotton balls; I just carry a lighter but I also grew up starting fires with just twigs and matches. Which in all those hikes, I never had to do.

2 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Best check the laws carefully where you intend to do this. You start a fire, you are also committing yourself to hanging out until it is cold out. 

You shouldn't leave until "you can stick your hands into the ashes."

18 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

How about bear spray?

I don't carry it.

Maybe if you were in grizzly bear country you would want to carry bear spray. Black bears are just big pussies. Your bag should have a built in whistle on the strap. If not, get one. If you see a bear make noise, a lot of noise

And for the love of God, don't hang a bells on your pack. I'll make fun of you. I promise it. There's no need to announce to the bears diner is coming right up.

As far as I can tell, there was only one bear caused fatality in NJ 

https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/2014/10/west_milford_fatal_bear_attack_details_emerge_from_unredacted_documents.html

Watch out for copperheads and timber rattlers; not because they are aggressive, they aren't, but because if feeling threatened, they'll try to defend themselves. But mostly what you'll see will be garter, rat and water snakes.

• Agree 1

I hike allot, as in several times a week. Just hiked a 4k footer before work on Saturday. I carry the 10 essentials as recommended by the NH search and rescue. There are other items I add when the hike requires it such as winter gear but I always carry the 10 essentials every time I head into the woods. I do NOT rely on a cellphone for my maps, one drop on a rock or in a stream and there goes the map. I do carry a handheld GPS but I always have a waterproof map and compass 

• Map
  • Compass
  • Warm Clothing:
  • Sweater or Pile Jacket
  • Long Pants (wool or synthetic)
  • Hat (wool)
  • Extra Food and Water
  • Flashlight or Headlamp
  • Matches/Firestarters
  • First Aid Kit/Repair Kit
  • Whistle
  • Rain/Wind Jacket and Pants
  • Pocket Knife 

Rain gear always 

first aid kit contains aspirin and moleskin.

extra socks.

water filter 

space blanket 

magnesium fire starter

usually even in summer I’ll carry a sweater jus Incase. 

parachord

cheapy folding woodsaw 

and a gps with the truck marked as a waypoint.

and don’t skimp on da boots. But break them in before your first trek

IMO, your kit is tailored to where you're going to hike.  Going to hike well marked trails you're familiar with?  Water and a pocketknife are enough.  Poorly marked trails you've never done?  Extra food, compass, map, signaling device, etc.

• Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Where da heck are you guys hiking? Yellowstone?

My backyard AKA White Mountians national forest. 

Up here if a person needs a rescue (a weekly occurrence) and dosent have a hike safe card and is not carrying the 10 essentials I listed above they will be billed for the cost of the rescue. They get very expensive very fast!

Prime example of idiots https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/local/hikers-rescued-on-jewell-trail/article_0b868904-b17f-11ea-a0f3-9b1a9b8ea45a.html

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I'm starting out easy, mostly marked trails in heavily traveled parks. But I do intend to try more difficult trails in the future.

Water bottle, a map of the trails and the skills to read it and navigate it.

15 minutes ago, fishnut said:

My backyard AKA White Mountians national forest. 

Up here if a person needs a rescue (a weekly occurrence) and dosent have a hike safe card and is not carrying the 10 essentials I listed above they will be billed for the cost of the rescue. They get very expensive very fast!

Prime example of idiots https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/local/hikers-rescued-on-jewell-trail/article_0b868904-b17f-11ea-a0f3-9b1a9b8ea45a.html

At 10 p.m., MacDonell again called, this time stating that he thought he had lost the trail because he did not have a light source, other than the light on his cellphone. Being approximately 1.2 miles from the Base Station parking lot, MacDonell was directed back onto the trail and with nearly 50 percent battery life, he was given instructions to continue following the trail to the Jewell Trail cut-off.

Due to the battery life of his cellphone and the distance to the parking lot, he was told that if he and his son descended at a steady pace and did not stop, they should have enough battery power to make it down.

At 11:30 p.m., MacDonell called 911 again with only 15 percent battery life. When his GPS location was plotted, he was still nearly a mile from the Base Station parking lot. At this point, the decision was made to go get the hikers.

They hiked a total of .2 miles in 90 minutes?

If it weren't for the kid, he should have been told to stay put and spend the night in the woods. Rescue would be done in the morning. What a dumb ass.

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

If it weren't for the kid, he should have been told to stay put and spend the night in the woods. Rescue would be done in the morning. What a dumb ass.

LOL. I'm more impressed he killed his phone battery in 90 mins. Probably updating his Instagram feed. 

2 hours ago, WP22 said:

Not to mention starting a 9 mile hike with 12k feet in elevation change at 11:30am with an 8 year old, then calling 911 the first time because they were afraid of a bear!

There's so many other stories like this its mind boggling. 90% of the rescues are due to people being unprepared for when things go wrong. Hell probably 50% are just because people don't bring a flashlight or head lamp 

Hiking Gear Thoughts...

Minimal kit:

Pocket Knife

Water Bottle

Sanitary Wipes

Whistle

Disposable Poncho

Extended Kit Ideas (not too much wilderness in NJ that you couldn't hike out of) that could keep you going if you get hurt or have inconvenient camping in more remote areas of US...

Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife, I prefer Leatherman Rebar over the Swiss Army Victorinox Ranger Grip tool or SAK One-handed Trekker... tool should have a saw, awl, can opener, knife... file and plyers are a plus

Folding Pocket Knife... I like the value of the Kershaw Blur

Optional, Bahco Laplander folding saw and/or Mora knife of  your choice... Mora Companion HD in carbon steel.  The premium choice would be the Mora Garberg  and midrange I would consider the Condor Terrasaur.  Budget would be a Mora Craftline 511.

(2) BIC Lighters wrapped w/ 1" Gorilla Tape

3/8" or preferably a 1/2" by 5" or 6" fire steel (wrap end with duct tape to hold onto and use for fire tinder)

Surefire starters and/or some fatwood (or cotton balls rolled in petroleum jelly)

Stanley Adventure Cook Set or the Stanley French Press  Cook Set and GSI stainless cup

Nalgene water bottle or stainless (I prefer stainless single wall stainless nalgene) (insulated might be nice in winter to keep it from freezing)

Titanium Spork

FrogTogg Poncho (or single-use one)

Beanie and gloves (colder weather)

Cell Phone and extra charger and/or solar charger

Whistle

Grayl Geopress Water Purifyer

Lightweight tarp, preferably orange and preferably square 7', 8', or 9', an orange emercency blanket will do

30 foot paracord ridgeline and (3) 6' parahord hanks

50 or 100' of #36 tarred bankline

Decent headlamp w/ extra set of batteries... waterproof and a small pen light

(2-3) cotton bandanas and/or a Shemagh or Sniper Veil

Compass (my choice would be a Suunto MC2 Global)

1" roll of duct tape, prefer Gorilla Brand

Cloth Needle and/or tick remover

Sun Screen and Bug Spray

Pack to carry all of the gear.... Like Osprey Stratos, Fjallraven Kaipack, Mystery Ranch, or the like

Extra socks and/or extra layer of clothes or a warm layer and wind breaker

Maybe a small first-aid kit with burn medicine, Advil, Benadryl, moleskin

Toilet Paper / Wipes

Baseball Cap

2-3 drum liners 55 gallon 

Waterproof bag

Esbit Stove and tablets, Alcohol stove w/ fuel, etc.

Firearm

Additional clothes depending on season, etc.  

Electrolyte packets and some food

Notebook and paper

On 6/23/2020 at 2:49 PM, MartyZ said:

I'm starting out easy, mostly marked trails in heavily traveled parks. But I do intend to try more difficult trails in the future.

Build on your kit as you see fit.  Griz's answer was perfect.  And let someone know where you are going...  Better yet, find a buddy.