antdre20

New to the gun world....

Hi all, 

I've been reading alot on the forum over the past few weeks and looking to make my first gun purchase.  I just got my FID a week ago.  I read it can take a while to get in, after getting my fingerprints I received my FID 2 weeks later, which I thought was extremely fast for these times.

Anyway, I looked at a few guns online, I went to the store the other day to see what they had and I really liked the Glock 43x, like really liked it felt great in my hands and wasn't a big gun imo.  I would like to hear what you guys/ladies think of a first gun purchase and what you have to say?? thoughts? recommendations? I also handled the sig p365 i believe but that felt small in my hand and a walther 9mm not sure what model which felts normal but also felt bulky and big. 

I do have a bigger hand so would like a full grip but don't want a big gun i guess?

• Like 2

Welcome.

Two weeks was fast before the current mess we're in, so consider yourself lucky in that regard. You say you got your FID, but did you get the P2P (permit to purchase a handgun) as well? If not, you can't buy a handgun yet.

If at all possible (difficult now) try to fire any model gun you are interested in before buying. It's great that they feel good in your hand, but the shooting experience can sometimes vary. I cannot speak to a Glock, I am one of those people that do not like the grip angle of Glocks. I have a P365, which I like. Personally, I would suggest you get a full size gun first. The small guns you are looking at have higher recoil and short sights, which can hurt your accuracy when you are just starting out.

What are your plans for this handgun? Since you have essentially zero chance of getting a carry permit in NJ, a small carry gun might not be the best choice, unless you plan to carry (legally) outside of NJ. For home defense, IMO, a full size (or close to full size based on your hand size and comfort) is the better option. I suggest (and practice) backing the handgun up with a rifle and/or shotgun.

@Zeke should be here shortly telling you to buy a SIG <end thread>. :ninja:

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, kc17 said:

What are your plans for this handgun? Since you have essentially zero chance of getting a carry permit in NJ, a small carry gun might not be the best choice, unless you plan to carry (legally) outside of NJ. For home defense, IMO, a full size (or close to full size based on your hand size and comfort) is the better option. I suggest (and practice) backing the handgun up with a rifle and/or shotgun.

^ This, and welcome!

The reason why a full size is a better choice if you will not be concealed carry is basically two-fold:

1.  sight radius:  the longer the distance between the front sight and rear sight correlates to easier to aim

2.  recoil handling:  a heavier firearm absorbs recoil better than a lighter firearm

Just like everything else, there are trade-offs in choosing the size, but at the end of the day choose a quality firearm that makes sense for you and shoots well for you, and practice!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

There is a lawsuit pending to force NJ to allow indoor ranges to re-open.  We're cautiously optimistic that by early July we will prevail.  

If you have a commercial range nearby that rents guns you are considering (they often have a list of their rentals available online), you may soon be able to try before you buy. 

• Agree 1

Welcome!

It certainly does suck right now because you have a few options, reloaders, rtsp and gunforhire all within a short drive from you thst offer lots of rentals

If you like the slimline glocks, like the 43x, you may like their other offerings as well. It sounds like you enjoy compact models. Did you hold a g19?

I dont fully buy into full size guns being a must have for a first gun. I believe there are tons of compact models that offer comfort and accuracy for a new shooter. The 43x and p365 being prime examples actually. The beretta px4c, too. 

• Agree 1

Welcome Antdre20,

The Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9C is a "full sized - compact" (as in not a pocket-able) pistol with a 4 inch barrel.  Grip angle is almost identical to the Walther you've fondled already but with a way more aggressive grip texture.  Give that a feel.  I have larger hands and shoot that pistol very well.   It is also my "carry gun".  You are welcome to shoot mine if you are in the area and things get back to normal. 

The HK VP9 is a nice gun with good ergonomics and so is @Zeke's beloved Sig brand's P320.   There are about 10 or so brands of striker fired pistols that I can think of off the top of my head, that share similar shooting characteristics and ergonomics.  Most important is what you think feels and shoots best.   Oh and Glocks are ugly but try everything you can get your hands on.  

I agree with Jack above, don't rule out a compact as your first gun BUT -  you must shoot everything you are considering purchasing.  After purchase.....practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

I'd also suggest a full size for your first gun, personally because they tend to be easier to learn to shoot with. And honestly, it isn't such a big deal to conceal a full size gun as people seem to make it out to be. I can conceal a full sized Beretta in a good holster without a problem. But, like others have said, conceal carry in NJ is not likely in the cards for most of us, so it makes even more sense for a full size pistol as a first.

That said the Glock 19 or anything in the "C" (Compact) size range is a good balance between small enough to conceal easy, plus big enough to shoot as well as a full size pistol. I haven't held or fired one, but there's now a Glock 48 which is similar in profile to a G19, but slimmer I think. People use the Glock 19 as a solid reference point because they are so common, but there are a lot of pistols that are similar in size, weight and capacity (albeit your capacity in most 9mm pistols will be neutered in NJ). :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh, also, I will add that you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands, and even some of the "budget" brands seem to make fairly decent quality stuff. But definitely settling on any of the major manufacturers like Glock, Sig, Walther, H&K, Beretta, CZ, S&W or Ruger you hardly can go wrong. The biggest risk in reliability would be in a newer model from any manufacturer that hasn't been on the market as long and had a chance for all the kinks to be worked out.

And to Pizza Bob's point, you can't go wrong with an S&W revolver. It is 1970 right? :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

Welcome.

Two weeks was fast before the current mess we're in, so consider yourself lucky in that regard. You say you got your FID, but did you get the P2P (permit to purchase a handgun) as well? If not, you can't buy a handgun yet.

If at all possible (difficult now) try to fire any model gun you are interested in before buying. It's great that they feel good in your hand, but the shooting experience can sometimes vary. I cannot speak to a Glock, I am one of those people that do not like the grip angle of Glocks. I have a P365, which I like. Personally, I would suggest you get a full size gun first. The small guns you are looking at have higher recoil and short sights, which can hurt your accuracy when you are just starting out.

@Zeke should be here shortly telling you to buy a SIG <end thread>. :ninja:

I do have a permit to purchase handgun. Forgot to mention and looking for home defense. 

1 hour ago, antdre20 said:

I do have a permit to purchase handgun. Forgot to mention and looking for home defense. 

A WML (weapon mounted light) is a great tool to have on any defensive handgun. Many compact handguns do not have any rail to attach a light to. Just some food for thought. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Welcome!

It certainly does suck right now because you have a few options, reloaders, rtsp and gunforhire all within a short drive from you thst offer lots of rentals

If you like the slimline glocks, like the 43x, you may like their other offerings as well. It sounds like you enjoy compact models. Did you hold a g19?

I dont fully buy into full size guns being a must have for a first gun. I believe there are tons of compact models that offer comfort and accuracy for a new shooter. The 43x and p365 being prime examples actually. The beretta px4c, too. 

I haven’t held the Glock 19 yet. But will search for a store that has a few glocks 

4 hours ago, Bighungry618 said:

Welcome Antdre20,

The Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9C is a "full sized - compact" (as in not a pocket-able) pistol with a 4 inch barrel.  Grip angle is almost identical to the Walther you've fondled already but with a way more aggressive grip texture.  Give that a feel.  I have larger hands and shoot that pistol very well.   It is also my "carry gun".  You are welcome to shoot mine if you are in the area and things get back to normal. 

The HK VP9 is a nice gun with good ergonomics and so is @Zeke's beloved Sig brand's P320.   There are about 10 or so brands of striker fired pistols that I can think of off the top of my head, that share similar shooting characteristics and ergonomics.  Most important is what you think feels and shoots best.   Oh and Glocks are ugly but try everything you can get your hands on.  

I agree with Jack above, don't rule out a compact as your first gun BUT -  you must shoot everything you are considering purchasing.  After purchase.....practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

Thanks for the offer. And input. Let’s see how this plays out.  I’m itching to buy this glock 43x lol. But I know everyone says go test a few different guns out before purchasing 

I appreciate everyone’s feed back I can’t wait for a range to open so I can get in a fire away. Should I take a beginner class ? 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, antdre20 said:

Thanks for the offer. And input. Let’s see how this plays out.  I’m itching to buy this glock 43x lol. But I know everyone says go test a few different guns out before purchasing 

I appreciate everyone’s feed back I can’t wait for a range to open so I can get in a fire away. Should I take a beginner class ? 

Training never hurts. Unless the trainer sucks. @gunforhire has quality staff

If you are totally new to firearms I would highly suggest either a class or get with someone you trust.

I did not grow up with guns in the family. When I got involved I had some co-workers that helped me immensely. Two were former Marines, and one was in his 50s at the time and had been around guns almost since he could walk.

A couple of years ago I signed myself and wife up for a NRA Basic Pistol Class. I needed the piece of paper to get my Florida Carry Permit. My wife found it more interesting/beneficial than I did. I had previously covered 80-90% of it with her. Many places will require you to have a Basic class before you can take a more advanced one.

Edit to add: Many people will say all you need is YouTube, remember the Internet is not a magical place, any bozo with a few bucks can look like an expert, it doesn't mean they are. If one person says something completely different than 20 others, it's safe to say stay away from that one.

10 hours ago, antdre20 said:

I haven’t held the Glock 19 yet. 

I did, and that was the deal killer right then and there, texture and grip angle were all wrong for me. The premium price wasn't justified either in my opinion.

Went with a S&W M&P9 M2.0 compact, and later.380 EZ and a SD9. 

19 hours ago, antdre20 said:

I haven’t held the Glock 19 yet. But will search for a store that has a few glocks 

The Glock 19 is a great choice.  You may also want to look at the Sig P320 compact, which is comparable. 

There's no reason to get a tiny gun if you're not going to be carrying it, unless you just like them, of course.  As someone pointed out above, there are advantages to having a larger gun, especially if it's going to be for HD.  Plus, they tend to be more fun to shoot, which is never a bad thing. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bomber said:

I did, and that was the deal killer right then and there, texture and grip angle were all wrong for me. The premium price wasn't justified either in my opinion.

Went with a S&W M&P9 M2.0 compact, and later.380 EZ and a SD9. 

And are you happy with your M&P2 M2.0? Is it your primary 9mm gun?

1 hour ago, Antonio5 said:

And are you happy with your M&P2 M2.0? Is it your primary 9mm gun?

No complaints with M&P9.

Actually, I use the SD9 Hi-Viz as a primary HD weapon.  I prefer the slightly heavier trigger after installing the Apex spring kit (leaving in the stock striker spring). Also, 10 round SD9 magazines were less expensive and widely available.

The M&P is easier to disassemble, the frame is reinforced and is S&W's premium M&P.

Having shot the Glock 43x, It's a good concealed carry gun, but I would recommend a full size gun as your first pistol.  It's a decent shooter - good fast cycle times due to the shorter barrel.  You will feel the recoil a bit and long shooting sessions may tire you out as it's a smaller, lighter gun.

I personally have a Glock 48 on the way - it's a longer barrel/slide version of the G43x.  

2 hours ago, Bomber said:

No complaints with M&P9.

Actually, I use the SD9 Hi-Viz as a primary HD weapon.  I prefer the slightly heavier trigger after installing the Apex spring kit (leaving in the stock striker spring). Also, 10 round SD9 magazines were less expensive and widely available.

The M&P is easier to disassemble, the frame is reinforced and is S&W's premium M&P.

I currently have three guns in my short list to compare side-by-side at the range:

Glock G19 Gen5  (or G48)
S&W M&P9 M2.0 Compact 4.0”
Sig Sauer P320 Compact

3 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

I currently have three guns in my short list to compare side-by-side at the range:

Glock G19 Gen5  (or G48)
S&W M&P9 M2.0 Compact 4.0”
Sig Sauer P320 Compact

Just out of curiosity why do you want a compact? 

14 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Having shot the Glock 43x, It's a good concealed carry gun, but I would recommend a full size gun as your first pistol.  It's a decent shooter - good fast cycle times due to the shorter barrel.  You will feel the recoil a bit and long shooting sessions may tire you out as it's a smaller, lighter gun.

I personally have a Glock 48 on the way - it's a longer barrel/slide version of the G43x.  

As concealed carry is not an option in NJ, I primarily liked the G48 over G19 for its original 10-round mag (so I can just order new mags without any mods), and the fact it is lighter and have a longer barrel as well. I also hope it will fit my hand better. Unfortunately very few places have it, I saw that some ranges rent out the G43, but not G43x or G48. Were you happy with the grip?

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Just out of curiosity why do you want a compact? 

Honestly IDK. ;)
It will be even more disappointing to reduce the mag size from 17 rounds to 10, should I choose the G17 or the full sized M&P9.
This is why I was leaning towards G48: it has 4.17" barrel and a standard 10-round mag.

Just now, Antonio5 said:

Honestly IDK. ;)
It will be even more disappointing to reduce the mag size from 17 rounds to 10, should I choose the G17 or the full sized M&P9.
This is why I was leaning towards G48: it has 4.17" barrel and a standard 10-round mag.

All mags you buy in nj will be 10 rounds. I personally only have full sized guns. They have multiple advantages as stated above. Since ill never carry, i don't see a point in buying a compact. 

Im not trying to sway you i just think you should weigh the pros and cons. Maybe decide what you're lookig for in a pistol and then that might help . 

3 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

As concealed carry is not an option in NJ, I primarily liked the G48 over G19 for its original 10-round mag (so I can just order new mugs without any mods), and the fact it is lighter and have a longer barrel as well. I also hope it will fit my hand better. Unfortunately very few places have it, I saw that some ranges rent out the G43, but not G43x or G48. Were you happy with the grip?

Keep in mind that there are factory 10 rounders available for the G17, G19, G34, etc.  I have a G19 because it had 15 round mags native prior to the 10-round mag limit change.  I had to get all new 10 rounders afterwards.  

That being said, I personally preferred the G48 over the G43x.  Some others preferred the 43x over the 48 as it was faster cycling, but I preferred the longer slide and barrel - I shot it better.

8 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

All mags you buy in nj will be 10 rounds. I personally only have full sized guns. They have multiple advantages as stated above. Since ill never carry, i don't see a point in buying a compact. 

Im not trying to sway you i just think you should weigh the pros and cons. Maybe decide what you're lookig for in a pistol and then that might help . 

Yes, but I would not be able to order mags online, for example.
I wanted to have a handgun for home defense, but mostly for practicing at shooting ranges. I used to shoot quite often, but it was a long long time ago. So I originally planned to get Glock 17, but then I realized that standard magazines were banned in NJ. :(
And so I just thought if my hand will be happy to shoot the G48, I'll go with it. It is less expensive as well (to give another reason), right?