antdre20

New to the gun world....

1 minute ago, Antonio5 said:

Yes, but I would not be able to order mags online, for example.
I wanted to have a handgun for home defense, but mostly for practicing at shooting ranges. I used to shoot quite often, but it was a long long time ago. So I originally planned to get Glock 17, but then I realized that high-capacity magazines were banned in NJ. :(
And so I just thought if my hand will be happy to shoot the G48, I'll go with it. It is less expensive as well (to give another reason), right?

You can buy them online though. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-industries-pmag-10-gl9-glock-17-19-10-round-9mm-magazine.html%3f_iv_amp=1

• Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Keep in mind that there are factory 10 rounders available for the G17, G19, G34, etc.  I have a G19 because it had 15 round mags native prior to the 10-round mag limit change.  I had to get all new 10 rounders afterwards.  

That being said, I personally preferred the G48 over the G43x.  Some others preferred the 43x over the 48 as it was faster cycling, but I preferred the longer slide and barrel - I shot it better.

I would probably go with G19 or even G17 if there was no rounds limit. But we have what we have in NJ.
Choosing between G43 and G43x is obvious: 10-rounds. And choosing between G43x and G48 is obvious too: the longer barrel.

20 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Good to know, thanks for the tip! They are aftermarket mags though. Are these mags having any issues? Are they lighter than the standard mags pinned to 10 rounds?  

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 00.18.57.png

1 minute ago, Antonio5 said:

I would probably go with G19 or even G17 if there was no rounds limit. But we have what we have in NJ.
Choosing between G43 and G43x is obvious: 10-rounds. And choosing between G43x and G48 is obvious too: the long barrel.

Good to know, thanks for the tip! They are aftermarket mags though.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/brands/glock/9mm-luger--10-round

Glock branded 10 rounders.  

• Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

So if I end up buying the G19 online, do you suggest paying $15 per mag to the gunsmith to pin them down to 10 rounds, or just ask the original seller to remove them and get new 10-rounders? Hate to toss away three brand new high-capacity OEM mags. :cray:

Also, when you buy the new G17/G19 from NJ local dealer, the gun comes with three mags. Are they going to be pinned 15-rounders or the original 10-rounders? They must have quite different weight.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:27 AM, 10X said:

There is a lawsuit pending to force NJ to allow indoor ranges to re-open.  We're cautiously optimistic that by early July we will prevail.  

If you have a commercial range nearby that rents guns you are considering (they often have a list of their rentals available online), you may soon be able to try before you buy. 

i will probably be heading over to guns for hire they have a ton of guns im interested in.  Im sure it will be packed though and tough to get in with only 25% capacity 

21 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I dont know how far you are from pa but easton heritage guild lets you rent and test guns. Ive heard great things about the cz p10c. Its aesthetic, reliable, and customizable. 

Regardless welcomr to the community

im about 50mins from easton pa.... question? would i be able to purchase a firearm in PA with an NJ FID and p2p from nj?

35 minutes ago, antdre20 said:

im about 50mins from easton pa.... question? would i be able to purchase a firearm in PA with an NJ FID and p2p from nj?

So a p2p means your talking handguns, it still needs  to be shipped to a NJ FFL for you to take possession which typically is not the cheapest option for cost. If it was a long gun you can take possession  in PA as long as NJ legal.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Antonio5 said:

So if I end up buying the G19 online, do you suggest paying $15 per mag to the gunsmith to pin them down to 10 rounds, or just ask the original seller to remove them and get new 10-rounders? Hate to toss away three brand new high-capacity OEM mags. :cray:

Also, when you buy the new G17/G19 from NJ local dealer, the gun comes with three mags. Are they going to be pinned 15-rounders or the original 10-rounders? They must have quite different weight.

There are different SKU's available - There's a specific "restricted state" model that comes with 10 round mags.

Just now, Antonio5 said:

Are you 100% sure? I've heard that it was not possible anymore.

Yes - this is still possible.

• Informative 1

34 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

They will check your FID.  They'll need to fill out a NJ COE as well.

Thank you, you are very informative! I am so sorry for asking many questions, which may look stupid for you. I just wondered whether you may have compiled or planning in a future to compile the FAQ for new gun owners in NJ?
The obvious questions are:

• What do I need to buy a firearm in NJ (long gun and/or pistol)?
  • What these abbreviations (FID, COE, P2P, etc) mean?
  • Can I purchase a gun online?
  • Can I purchase a handgun out of state and bring it back?
  • Can I buy a long gun in PA and drive back with it to my NJ home?
  • What magazines are legal in NJ? What are limit differences in hand gun/ long gun/ .22 caliber?
  • What would happen if I order a gun with standard capacity mags online?

I've learned a lot in the last days, so I know the answers now, but it would be great if a reputable member could answer FAQs.  So there will be less spammer like myself. ;)
Please excuse me if you already have that on the Forum. But I just wasn't able to find it.

• Like 1

Don't make your decision based on magazine size, that is arbitrary and could change if you move or the laws change.  You can always get the correct mags you need (10 round or otherwise), either online or at a local shop.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Antonio5 said:

Thank you, you are very informative! I am so sorry for asking many questions, which may look stupid for you

No not at all, that's why we're all here and we're happy you are asking questions!

What do I need to buy a firearm in NJ (long gun and/or pistol)?

Long gun:  a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser ID.  Pistol:  A NJ Permit to Purchase

What these abbreviations (FID, COE, P2P, etc) mean?

FID - NJ Firearms Purchaser ID,   COE - Certificate of Eligibility,  P2P - NJ Permit to Purchase a handgun

Can I purchase a gun online?

Yes but it must be shipped to a NJ firearms dealer (FFL).  The FFL will do the background check (NICS) and charge you a transfer fee.

Can I purchase a handgun out of state and bring it back?

Indirectly, it must first go to a NJ FFL.  See above.

Can I buy a long gun in PA and drive back with it to my NJ home?

Yes, with your NJ FID.

What magazines are legal in NJ? What are limit differences in hand gun/ long gun/ .22 caliber?

10 rounds for most long guns and handguns, 6 rounds in semi auto shot guns.

What would happen if I order a gun with standard capacity mags online?

It has to go to an FFL first where I imagine the dealer would replace the mags?  Or you may not be allowed to purchase it online when you give your NJ address.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

Thank you, you are very informative! I am so sorry for asking many questions, which may look stupid for you. I just wondered whether you may have compiled or planning in a future to compile the FAQ for new gun owners in NJ?
The obvious questions are:

• What do I need to buy a firearm in NJ (long gun and/or pistol)?
  • What these abbreviations (FID, COE, P2P, etc) mean?
  • Can I purchase a gun online?
  • Can I purchase a handgun out of state and bring it back?
  • Can I buy a long gun in PA and drive back with it to my NJ home?
  • What magazines are legal in NJ? What are limit differences in hand gun/ long gun/ .22 caliber?

I've learned a lot in the last days, so I know the answers now, but it would be great if a reputable member could answer FAQs.  So there will be less spammer like myself. ;)
Please excuse me if you already have that on the Forum. But I just wasn't able to find it.

I thought we had one but I don't seem to see it right now - I'll dig around some more and if not, we'll post a new one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

No not at all, that's why we're all here and we're happy you are asking questions!

Long gun:  a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser ID.  Pistol:  A NJ Permit to Purchase

FID - NJ Firearms Purchaser ID,   COE - Certificate of Eligibility,  P2P - NJ Permit to Purchase a handgun

Yes but it must be shipped to a NJ firearms dealer (FFL).  The FFL will do the background check (NICS) and charge you a transfer fee.

Indirectly, it must first go to a NJ FFL.  See above.

Yes, with your NJ FID.

10 rounds, no difference in type of firearm.

It has to go to an FFL first where I imagine the dealer would replace the mags?  Or you may not be allowed to purchase it online when you give your NJ address.

6 rounds in semi auto shot guns

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Antonio5 said:

Are you 100% sure? I've heard that it was not possible anymore.

I see you've got your answers. Maybe you heard something about our in-state transfers, those laws were recently changed. Welcome to the Forum.

16 minutes ago, siderman said:

I see you've got your answers. Maybe you heard something about our in-state transfers, those laws were recently changed. Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you. I've heard the rumors about someone from NJ denied to look at the shotgun at one of the PA stores. Glad it wasn't a true story! :)

47 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

Thank you. I've heard the rumors about someone from NJ denied to look at the shotgun at one of the PA stores. Glad it wasn't a true story! :)

It could have been true. A PA FFL has the right to deny service to a NJ Resident based on the FFL not wanting the hassle or risk running afoul of NJ Laws.

Many FFL throughout the entire Country are being overwhelmed with people new to this world and not having a clue what to do.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Just out of curiosity why do you want a compact? 

The S&W M&P9 compact is actually G19 size, not what most would consider a compact  Yet, it will accept full size M&P9 magazines with the included sleeves.

The full size 4.25in M&P9 felt a little nose heavy to me, the compact had better balance.

2 minutes ago, Bomber said:

The S&W M&P9 compact is actually G19 size, not what most would consider a compact  Yet, it will accept full size M&P9 magazines with the included sleeves.

The full size 4.25in M&P9 felt a little nose heavy to me, the compact had better balance.

So you were talking about S&W M&P9 compact with 4" barrel, right?

4 hours ago, Antonio5 said:

The transfer FFL will keep them, or charge you to limit them to 10 rounds, or the seller may not even ship them to N.J.

Personally, I prefer to pay the extra $ for factory 10 rounders, better re-sale value than hacked up standard mags. 

16 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

So you were talking about S&W M&P9 compact with 4" barrel, right?

Yes, Compact is 4in. Full size is 4.25in.

BTW while you at it check out the new S&W M&P EZ 9mm, smooth shooting gun. I would have purchase it over the .380 EZ but they weren't available at the time.

Only 8 round mags but that makes things easier in N.J.