NJ870

Moving back to NJ, FPID still valid?

I lived out of state for a very brief period of time, had a drivers license out of state and when NJ MVC re-opens I’ll finally be able to get my NJ DL back. The N.J. drivers license will match the address on my old FPID. Can I purchase within N.J. again or do I need to re-apply?

30 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Other than the fact you moved back to NJ, you should be fine.

Trust me, if I had a choice I wouldn’t move back here. It was nice for a few months to walk into a store and buy whatever I wanted, and not have to worry about N.J. BS laws. 

15 hours ago, Handyman said:

If your NJ license did not expire while you were out of state, you might not need to get a new one. Just go and tell them you need to replace a lost card.

Nope, already switched it while out of state. NJ can most likely tell I have a license in another state. So I’m just switching my DL back over to N.J. I did consider getting a N.J. boating license and keeping my out of state DL, but decided not to. 

FPID's DO EXPIRE! Law changed back in 2015

30 days after change of address, sex or name. 

TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY  

CHAPTER 54. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS  

SUBCHAPTER 1. FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD AND PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7 (2015)

§ 13:54-1.7 Validity of a State of New Jersey firearms identification card and permit to purchase a handgun and form of register

(a) A State of New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth by law and this subchapter pertaining to an applicant's eligibility. Upon becoming subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this subchapter, the card shall be void and shall be returned to the Superintendent within five days. A State of New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card shall not be valid for more than 30 days after the information contained therein is no longer reflective of the issued person, that is, current address, name change, and/or sex change.

(b) A permit to purchase a handgun and form of register shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. In no event shall a permit to purchase a handgun be valid for more than 180 days from the date the permit was originally issued.

NJSP Firearms unit told me I couldn’t change the address to a Florida address (where I was). So I was pretty much told to keep the card since I own the house in N.J. that is listed on the address (and still own the property). Hmmm, as soon as motor vehicles opens back up I’ll apply for a pistol permit and see if they approve it.

3 minutes ago, NJ870 said:

NJSP Firearms unit told me I couldn’t change the address to a Florida address (where I was). So I was pretty much told to keep the card since I own the house in N.J. that is listed on the address (and still own the property). Hmmm, as soon as motor vehicles opens back up I’ll apply for a pistol permit and see if they approve it.

So technically you have multiple dwellings. 

if it were me I would consider myself gtg. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

So technically you have multiple dwellings. 

if it were me I would consider myself gtg. 

That’s what I thought. The house in N.J. I own, my name is on the tax receipts.. utilities etc.

the house in Florida is my relatives, I was there for a short time and forgot to switch the DL back over when I came back up here. Of course, coronavirus hits and I couldn’t do anything with N.J. MVC. 

4 minutes ago, NJ870 said:

That’s what I thought. The house in N.J. I own, my name is on the tax receipts.. utilities etc.

the house in Florida is my relatives, I was there for a short time and forgot to switch the DL back over when I came back up here. Of course, coronavirus hits and I couldn’t do anything with N.J. MVC. 

I jus sayen legal advice on da intronet is worth what pay for it.

that being said.... I know what I would do 

6 hours ago, NJ870 said:

Nope, already switched it while out of state. NJ can most likely tell I have a license in another state. So I’m just switching my DL back over to N.J. I did consider getting a N.J. boating license and keeping my out of state DL, but decided not to. 

I did the same thing. Moved out of state, got a license there, moved back in a couple years. NJ license had not yet expired. I told them I lost my card (which technically I had, to another state's DMV) they gave me a new one. Done in 10 minutes, no tests, no nothing. 

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

I did the same thing. Moved out of state, got a license there, moved back in a couple years. NJ license had not yet expired. I told them I lost my card (which technically I had, to another state's DMV) they gave me a new one. Done in 10 minutes, no tests, no nothing. 

As far as I know, having a license in more than one state is illegal. I tried to get a photo ID (non driver ID) and N.J. picked up the Valid Florida DL in the system and said nope. Maybe it’s luck of the draw.

22 minutes ago, Handyman said:

That may be. They didn't care for me, but this was decades ago. 

That’s probably why. I believe pre-911 it was different. Not only that, but decades back I’m sure a lot of things went through without question. It’s amazing how just through a social they can find a DL from any jurisdiction and almost instantly.  computers...

3 hours ago, NJ870 said:

That’s probably why. I believe pre-911 it was different. Not only that, but decades back I’m sure a lot of things went through without question. It’s amazing how just through a social they can find a DL from any jurisdiction and almost instantly.  computers...

A LE agency doesnt need a ssn to look for a dl.