hwlcd

New York Mental Health Form for Firearms Application

Form OMH 11

Hi, 

Curious if anyone's done one, and any advice?

This is what the officer emailed me.

"Attached please find the copy of the New York Mental Health State Form.  This mental health check is needed as per policy for your NJ firearms identification card/permits.    In the top right hand corner please fill out your name, sex, and date of birth.  Please add your social security number as well in this area.  It does not have a line for it but it is needed. Under Description of Information you can put New York Mental Health Records.  Under Purpose or Need for Information, it is for a NJ firearms Identification Card.  Immediately under this area and to the right (the To: section ) please input the Glen Rock Police Department Att: Records Bureau 1 Harding Plaza Glen Rock NJ.  Sign and date the back (section C) as well as have someone else sign the witness section(section D).  Please scan this back to me and then I will forward it onto the appropriate entity.  If you have any questions please let me know.  Thanks. "

Blank New York Release.pdf

OK. I'm confused. I have never seen or heard of anything like this before. What officer sent this to you - a NY or NJ LEO? Have you applied using FARS for whatever it is you are after (FPID or P2P)?

While I understand that if you have lived at your current address for less than 10 years you may be asked (by NJSP or your local PD) to fill out an SP-066 - which is the NJ consent for a mental health records check - I have never seen anyone request an out of state form. And that one is a blanket form - not specifically a mental health records check.

If it was your local PD that sent this to you, I'd call the NJSP FIU and ask them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

And once you submitted your on-line application, your local PD sent you the NY form? I've never heard of such a thing.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

no

Date of Submission: 06/05/2020
06/05/2020: Reference Questionnaire 1 submitted 
06/06/2020: Reference Questionnaire 2 submitted
06/17/2020: Fingerprinted (first available appointment date right after application submission)
06/20/2020: Criminal History Check completed

41 minutes ago, hwlcd said:

no

Date of Submission: 06/05/2020
06/05/2020: Reference Questionnaire 1 submitted 
06/06/2020: Reference Questionnaire 2 submitted
06/17/2020: Fingerprinted (first available appointment date right after application submission)
06/20/2020: Criminal History Check completed

How are people getting the History checks back so fast??!?!

Ive been waiting weeks just to change my address

6 hours ago, NRAJ said:

How are people getting the History checks back so fast??!?!

Ive been waiting weeks just to change my address

Apparently the NJSP FIU has been pushing new applications through faster than address changes and additional PPP requests

8 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

I don't know for sure but I suspect they figure that if you already own guns you are not helpless in a home defense situation, which is what is driving a lot of the sales right now.

That's unbelievably frustrating if true

23 hours ago, hwlcd said:

Form OMH 11

Hi, 

Curious if anyone's done one, and any advice?

This is what the officer emailed me.

"Attached please find the copy of the New York Mental Health State Form.  This mental health check is needed as per policy for your NJ firearms identification card/permits.    In the top right hand corner please fill out your name, sex, and date of birth.  Please add your social security number as well in this area.  It does not have a line for it but it is needed. Under Description of Information you can put New York Mental Health Records.  Under Purpose or Need for Information, it is for a NJ firearms Identification Card.  Immediately under this area and to the right (the To: section ) please input the Glen Rock Police Department Att: Records Bureau 1 Harding Plaza Glen Rock NJ.  Sign and date the back (section C) as well as have someone else sign the witness section(section D).  Please scan this back to me and then I will forward it onto the appropriate entity.  If you have any questions please let me know.  Thanks. "

Blank New York Release.pdf 127.11 kB · 7 downloads

Did you live in NY any time in the last 10 years?

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Did you live in NY any time in the last 10 years?

I assumed that. That's not the point. The SP-066 is not necessarily state specific and could be used to search for mental health records in any state of previous residence. I think that his local PD is over-reaching by requiring him to initiate a NY search. That should be incumbent on the NJSP or his local PD - whoever did the check under the old system. I have heard of some PD's requiring you fill out a hard copy of the SP-066 if you have less than 10 years residence at your current address. I have never heard of requiring an applicant to fill out a release from another state. I'd call the NJSP FIU before I signed a NY release. But that's just me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob