Antonio5

Requesting an extra P2P

Hello everyone. Thanks for running such a great resource for NJ.

I recently started my process to become a firearm owner and planned to purchase one handgun for home defence and and one small caliber rifle for recreational shooting. I called my Plainsboro PD and they gave me their ORI number and told me to file everything online. So I did the online application for FID and a single P2P. I know, I know how stupid it was! My references are done, and fingerprinting is done a week ago. The lady at  IdentoGo told me that I should receive everything in three weeks (hope she was right). So I am expecting FID/P2P soon.

Now I was looking at different possibilities of handguns and decided to rather buy a .22 handgun for recreational/training shooting. I was looking at Glock 44, which is affordable and resembles the G19, which will probably be my primary 9mm gun. It sounds stupid, but I really need TWO P2P's now. Do you think I can call my PD and ask them to add an extra one to my current application? Is it a good idea? Or I better file a new P2P application now? Can I do it while I am still waiting for my FID and use my original case conformation number?

Thank you in advance!

23 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

When the application process was on paper, this was relatively easy to do. I was told by my town that with FARS it is not possible to change the number of permits after the application has been submitted.

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Submit again. You’ll be waiting a while anyway 

I hope not, sir! ;)

2 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Simple answer is get the 19 and a .22 conversion kit. 2 guns. 1 permit. Kinda.

This is a great idea! But I am not sure that Glocks will be my final choice. Which .22 handgun is more accurate and fun to shoot at the range?
And talking about 9mm Glock, I lean toward the G48 for its slimmer frame and longer barrel. It is also naturally 10-round mag. What do you guys think about G48?

4 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

This is a great idea! But I am not sure that Glocks will be my final choice. Which .22 handgun is more accurate and fun to shoot at the range?
And talking about 9mm Glock, I lean toward the G48 for its slimmer frame and longer barrel. It is also naturally 10-round mag. What do you guys think about G48?

It’s new new jersey Glock. When we had 15 rounds, it was the Glock 19, sig 229

7 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

If you like a longer barrel with a thinner grip you should take a look at 1911s. While 45acp is the most popular 9mm offerings have become common. Also you could get a .22lr conversion for them and you don't need a permit for the .22 conversion. 

• Like 1

Fishnut, Zeke, Smitty, thanks for your suggestions!

23 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I just feel using a P2P for a .22 plinker is a waste. Use it on something useful. Like a Beretta or Sig. :D

I agree. I had no idea P2Ps were so valuable, so I'd definitely mark "3" there, but I requested only one. So it's going to be used for 9mm.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

It’s new new jersey Glock. When we had 15 rounds, it was the Glock 19, sig 229

I have yet to hold the G48 in my hand. I found the G19 to be a bit bulky and squared, so I hopped the G48 would feel a bit better. Also, I would feel stupid to use the inflated thick G19 knowing that its capacity was unnaturally reduced to 10 rounds. The only cons about G48 is its lack of rails. I saw that the "Rail" version of G48 is in Europe since 2019. Just wondered whether it will become available in the US in a near future? :unsure:

2 hours ago, Antonio5 said:

A good 22 revolver or a fixed barrel such as the Ruger mk series.

• Like 1

UPDATE:
I contacted my PD and asked to add another P2P to my current application. They told me that it will be no problem to add another one, since my background check is still in progress. This was good, but I am a bit puzzled as I already received the "Criminal History Check completed" email update. My understanding was  that the Chief was to review every application.
I was also asked to fill out the
Mental Health Records consent, regardless of the fact I live in NJ much longer then 10 years. Do you guys put your SSN there and who can sign it as a witness? Would my wife qualify? ;)

On 6/24/2020 at 12:24 PM, Antonio5 said:

Fishnut, Zeke, Smitty, thanks for your suggestions!

I agree. I had no idea P2Ps were so valuable, so I'd definitely mark "3" there, but I requested only one. So it's going to be used for 9mm.

I have yet to hold the G48 in my hand. I found the G19 to be a bit bulky and squared, so I hopped the G48 would feel a bit better. Also, I would feel stupid to use the inflated thick G19 knowing that its capacity was unnaturally reduced to 10 rounds. The only cons about G48 is its lack of rails. I saw that the "Rail" version of G48 is in Europe since 2019. Just wondered whether it will become available in the US in a near future? :unsure:

I know that I really like my Glock 19, Gen 4 that I bought about 7 years ago. Really great gun, at least for me, even with the 10 round magazine capacity limit. This also fits my hand perfectly.  I have not yet had an opportunity to look at the 48 either, so I cannot say for sure whether or not it fits my hand as well as my 19.

If you want to look at some other brands of polymer framed, striker fired handguns, I would also highly recommend the S&W M&P series, esp. the newer 2.0 upgrades, or the FN America, FNS series. Just some other options to consider before getting the Glock 19 or 48.